Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Anyway in answer to the OP...Nahh not really

You still using the trusty old lodestone?[emoji1]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 February 2017, 20:10   #22

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
I didn't think they were as cheap as that I was thinking about if it would be possible to overlay the ais onto my chartplotter through nmea 2000
List price is about £250 but they they come up quite often on Ebay.
Mines was listed "New without tags". GPS side is all ok but never had it anywhere it would pick up an AIS signal.

Done a fair bit in the Clyde in the dark and been very surprised how busy it was with commercial traffic. However it's another toy to play with even if it never gets used in earnest.
Old 05 February 2017, 20:14   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
that would be a different aspect as well but I suppose your I phone can do that as well and show more than a basic vhf based ais
To a degree. Obviously you need a data service on the phone. More importantly, the data you'll receive is potentially incomplete. The AIS data on the internet is provided by volunteer base stations around the world. There are gaps in the coverage due to the density (or lack thereof) of the base stations and where they are located - mostly domestic and commercial premises - not hilltops.
Old 05 February 2017, 20:36   #24

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
To a degree. Obviously you need a data service on the phone. More importantly, the data you'll receive is potentially incomplete. The AIS data on the internet is provided by volunteer base stations around the world. There are gaps in the coverage due to the density (or lack thereof) of the base stations and where they are located - mostly domestic and commercial premises - not hilltops.

Also the phone apps aren't in "real time" there can be a delay in the data being updated.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 05 February 2017, 21:20   #25

Length: 3m +
It was the comment about finding a mate that made me ask about Tx. Its a bit greedy expecting your mates to be Tx AIS so you can find them, but you only being Rx!

If you look hard enough you can find a Chinese Import AIS Tx for about £300-350 (may be missing a CE mark if you care about such details).

If you are looking only to Rx, A Quark QK-A022 would do what you need provided you have either a spare antenna for it (provides a backup for the main set in case of failure ...) or a splitter, and a 5V USB power supply and probably a water proof case. £60 for the black box.
Old 05 February 2017, 21:53   #26

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
You've lost me there, however I shall clarify[emoji6]
If you have a receive only AIS, it can use the same VHF antenna as the errr VHF, via a splitter or indeed be combined into the same box e.g. Icom 506. However if you have a transponder, it requires a separate dedicated VHF antenna, is that better[emoji1]

Seems like things have changed since I were a lad looks like you can use VHF splitters on transponders now. I'm not sure how it works as AIS transmits on channel 70, I'm assuming (probably mistakenly) that if the VHF is in use when the AIS wants to transmit, it queues the signal & waits for quiet.
Old 05 February 2017, 21:54   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
It was the comment about finding a mate that made me ask about Tx. Its a bit greedy expecting your mates to be Tx AIS so you can find them, but you only being Rx!
I'm sure there's a Moral in that story, like...

"It's more blessed to Give than to Receive"?

or

"What's your Position mate?" - "Well, I kinda prefer Tx if you'll Rx?"
Old 05 February 2017, 21:56   #28
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
...if the VHF is in use when the AIS wants to transmit, it queues the signal & waits for quiet.
Missus willk must be the VHF to my AIS. I get my message across eventually....

Old 05 February 2017, 22:09   #29

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
You still using the trusty old lodestone?[emoji1]
...Got the App!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2017, 08:41   #30

Town: Chester
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: Osprey Vipermax 6.8
Engine: Etec 200 HO
MMSI: 235114488
Still debating whether to bite the bullet and install a radome alongside AIS - looking at Lowrance but can't decide on 3G or 4G - price difference £700 any thoughts or experience out there?
Old 06 February 2017, 10:28   #31
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMW View Post
Still debating whether to bite the bullet and install a radome alongside AIS - looking at Lowrance but can't decide on 3G or 4G - price difference £700 any thoughts or experience out there?
LOL - I'm in exactly the same place. I am ordering TX AIS and a 3G radome today. I went with 3G as I really can't "see" the difference the £700 brings. Sure, there are differences, but I want Radar for the shipping lanes and I don't think 4G brings much extra to the table over 3G for a RIB install. Now, if £700 was chump change, I'd buy 4G!
Old 06 February 2017, 10:59   #32

Town: Chester
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: Osprey Vipermax 6.8
Engine: Etec 200 HO
MMSI: 235114488
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
LOL - I'm in exactly the same place. I am ordering TX AIS and a 3G radome today. I went with 3G as I really can't "see" the difference the £700 brings. Sure, there are differences, but I want Radar for the shipping lanes and I don't think 4G brings much extra to the table over 3G for a RIB install. Now, if £700 was chump change, I'd buy 4G!

That exactly where I am reading up on the differences the main advantage of the 4G would appear to be range and the image sharpening - range not a big issue and anything close by will be reasonably clear - £700 is a few tanks of fuel!
Old 06 February 2017, 15:25   #33

Town: London
Boat name: Easy Elsie
Make: J Craft
Engine: 175bhp Evinrude ETEC
AIS very useful on one occasion

It's not quite a RIB story but the value is the same.

I was helming a yacht in a race from Cowes to Weymouth. Whilst out to sea a vast fog descended and the wind died completely. Faced with the prospect of the tide changing and having to spend hours at anchor waiting we decided to retire, start the engine and head for Weymouth and an excellent night out. Engine started, no forward motion? Checked the propellor through the little spy hole and found it was missing! No need for long delays or drama involving the CG. Checked on AIS and found a fellow competitor about 100m away. It turned out that there were boats all about us: we just could not see them without the AIS. He was moving to quickly to be sailing so called him on the VHF and used the AIS to guide him to us, tow rope thrown and we were tugged all the way to Weymouth. Gone dinner and a bracing sail home in a F¾ the next day.

The AIS was the owner's new toy.
Old 06 February 2017, 18:41   #34

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Safety equipment is perceived as expensive when you buy it but great value when you need it. I have spent thousands over the years buying flares I didn't need, Insurances I didn't need, PLB that I didn't need etc etc. I have AIS tx & rx and think it is a very useful tool along with Radar if you go offshore. I don't really understand the need to convince her indoors because it surely is for the welfare of the family. I am sure that if you did not have the available equipment fitted and something serious happened to her loved ones she would probably be saying why on earth didn't you buy the equipment.
Old 06 February 2017, 20:00   #35

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutty View Post
.. it surely is for the welfare of the family. I am sure that if you did not have the available equipment fitted and something serious happened to her loved ones she would probably be saying why on earth didn't you buy the equipment...
I might try using a version of this at some point.....
Old 13 March 2017, 22:20   #36

Quote:
that would be a different aspect as well but I suppose your I phone can do that as well and show more than a basic vhf based ais
IPhone can't do same as AIS. iPhone needs GSM signal, AIS doesn't - it uses VHF. Proper AIS is instant, iPhone Ewell take several minutes to update - loads of time to collide!!
Old 14 March 2017, 12:48   #37

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
all sorted now I've fitted an icom m506 vhf with ais
Old 14 March 2017, 12:49   #38

RIBase
Quote:
all sorted now I've fitted an icom m506 vhf with ais

You should be able to output the AIS data from your 506 to a compatible plotter, if you have one.
Old 14 March 2017, 12:55   #39

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
You should be able to output the AIS data from your 506 to a compatible plotter, if you have one.
done it the only odd thing was the ferry between tarbert and portavadie the arrow pointed the opposite direction to its direction of travel on the chartplotter
Old 14 March 2017, 13:23   #40

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
I have AIS receive from my Lowrance Link 8 linked into my HDS units - and find it normally very good - the only thing I really wanted is the functionality to transmit - but not sure I can justify the expense for a dedicated unit.

So I use the iphone app to transmit my location to Marine Traffic's website - so if you looked online it would appear that I have AIS transmit - but this wouldn't show on other boats in the area with VHF AIS.

This way works for me at the moment, I normally am going fast enough to get out of the way for other AIS traffic, I dont normally go out of mobile signal, i have my phone always connected to the sonic hub so its charging, and it keeps the family happy that they can monitor me.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote