Old 25 September 2001, 07:28   #1

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Internal communication & VHF micro

I 've seen many photos where the skipper and the guy next to him are wearing one headset each. I suppose they use devices like this for internal communication purposes, possibly for the VHF use as well.
Anybody knows something on this? I would like your opinion, regarding the audio performance, (wind & engine noise in the mike), whether they are wireless or not, covering distance, special characteristics (waterproof or not) and of course web links.

Thanks.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2001, 12:53   #2

Town: Shaftesbury
Make: currently boatless (formerly Tornado)
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mariner 40
headsets

Here are a couple of sites that I have seen, I can offer no comments on what headsets in helmets are like to use, never having had the chance to use them. You do see them frequently on racing craft so I guess that if you get a good one then it will be an aid to communication.

The sets at http://www.atlanticuk.free-online.co.uk/headsets.htm appear to connect directly to the radio and make no mention of an intercom facility.

Whilst poking around I found http://www.rob-ice.demon.co.uk/ this is the site of a biker who has integrated an intercom, two way radio, fm stereo receiver and mobile phone setup into his helmets.

Hope that these two may be of some help its an area I would like to know more about too.
Old 25 September 2001, 17:36   #3

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Allan

Thanks for the reply. I already checked the links out. As far as I understand it they are high tech devices. Very difficult to adapt them on my ICOM 501 Euro which I use on my boat. On the other hand I've got a Kenwood hand held dual bander (VHF - UHF) but I can't see how is it usable on this matter.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2001, 19:49   #4

Town: Northants
I've used helmet mics for a number of years on motor bikes and in other high noise environments for UHF/VHF comms. I've found them very reliable and effective at high speed and in adverse weather conditions, although admittedly not a harsh marine environment.