Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Interesting article-LED Nav lights

Read it here
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2012, 08:21   #2
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
What a farce, have these people not got better things to do, who is paying for all this nonsense, whether you are one lumen in or out on your port light means nothing if you are a tool behind the helm With no regulation about who can jump in and drive off a leisure boat without any qualification, one would think a lumen is the least of their worries. I wonder if these people go home at night thinking, Wow! I have really earned my wages today?

A light with a perfect bulb means nothing in a dirty crappy casing
Old 29 June 2012, 08:26   #3

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4 View Post
What a farce, have these people not got better things to do, who is paying for all this nonsense, whether you are one lumen in or out on your port light means nothing if you are a tool behind the helm With no regulation about who can jump in and drive off a leisure boat without any qualification, one would think a lumen is the least of their worries. I wonder if these people go home at night thinking, Wow! I have really earned my wages today?

+1
Old 29 June 2012, 09:11   #4

Town: West Bromwich
Boat name: Ellie V
Make: Excel Voyager 520
Engine: Evinrude 75 HP
MMSI: 235 908 287
Quote:

Its these people that you have to thank, for agreeing the systems that you rely on at sea, to make you as safe as you can be.

If you read all the article, it also mentions colour change over time due to vibration, now that would not be good would it.
Old 29 June 2012, 09:20   #5

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Engine: 150 Opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by steco1958 View Post
Its these people that you have to thank, for agreeing the systems that you rely on at sea, to make you as safe as you can be.

If you read all the article, it also mentions colour change over time due to vibration, now that would not be good would it.
Whats wrong with the good old normal white bulbs with coloured casings, easy access to change bulbs, removable easy to clean covers...
Old 29 June 2012, 09:24   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_P View Post
Whats wrong with the good old normal white bulbs with coloured casings, easy access to change bulbs, removable easy to clean covers...
That's my take on it too...
Old 29 June 2012, 09:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_P View Post

Its called progress, I suppose they had this type of discussion in the pubs when electricity came around and superceeded the oil lamp beacons.
Old 29 June 2012, 09:32   #8

Quote:

Car use LED lights all the time, and they dont have the same problems. Just use white lamps and coloured shades.

The specs are there in the annexes to the ROR, easy just comply with them. They have already spend loads of money at IMO drawing them up. The EU is probably spending millions of our hard earned doing the same thing too.

If an organisation was so concerned with safety, I would have thought lobbying for every vessel to have a legal requirement to carry certain safety/distress equipment and for persons using it to have proper taining would be a better use of rescources, that would make us all safer.

Having said that LED lights do appeal to me, less power use, longer life etc etc.
Old 29 June 2012, 09:33   #9

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Misleading title, it clearly reads 'Interesting'

You see a red or green light and chances are you'll recognise it as a red or green light, the LED power light on my tele still looks red after years of stand by and it's not failed yet where as it it were a bulb it would have and I'd have no idea it I'd switch the thing off or not.

Do they really needs a committee to determine the redness or greenness of a light.
Old 29 June 2012, 09:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Do they really needs a committee to determine the redness or greenness of a light.
Yes they do,, That's how standards are determined, its what makes the product consistent in its manufacture throughout countries.
Old 29 June 2012, 09:44   #11

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Yes they do,, That's how standards are determined, its what makes the product consistent in its manufacture throughout countries.
You wouldn't happen to work for the ISO by any chance
Old 29 June 2012, 09:45   #12
SR4

What a load of utter b...ocks, a light is an effing light, white with a coloured shade job done, what will happen next? a standard of bulb you MUST have that complies or you are in the sh.t, so what do people do, don't bother with any at all.

These people thrive off talking sh.te to each other over expensive lunches, then sit around the table with their coffee and danish pastries all paid for by someone else, what gets me is that they think what they are doing is important There are far more stupid regulations within boating that need addressed other than ffing bulbs KEEP IT SIMPLE, EASY

NURSE! I'm ready now!
Old 29 June 2012, 09:47   #13

Quote:
What a load of utter b...ocks, a light is an effing light, white with a coloured shade job done, what will happen next? a standard of bulb you MUST have that complies or you are in the sh.t, so what do people do, don't bother with any at all.

These people thrive off talking sh.te to each other over expensive lunches, then sit around the table with their coffee and danish pastries all paid for by someone else, what gets me is that they think what they are doing is important There are far more stupid regulations within boating that need addressed other than ffing bulbs KEEP IT SIMPLE, EASY

NURSE! I'm ready now!
Me too
Old 29 June 2012, 09:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
You wouldn't happen to work for the ISO by any chance
No I don't, however in my business (Telecommunications) I rely on the standards to ensure the equipment all fits together correctly and works.

So I appreciate their work.
Old 29 June 2012, 10:04   #15
SR4

Will they calculate how many people it will take to change and LED bulb? They will have to consider the lack of screwing so less people needed to turn the ladder while the bulb fitter held the previous screw in bulb. But then I guess you have the H&S aspect, so lookouts, coned off areas, do not cross tape, warning signs stating 'do not look at bulb', some daft people with then close their eyes if they see another boat approaching, and some may try to fit it with their eyes closed has anyone done a risk analysis of this?

But then again I am sure there will be a RYA LED bulb changing course appearing soon!
Old 29 June 2012, 10:07   #16

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent
Engine: 150 Opti
Quote:
Its called progress, I suppose they had this type of discussion in the pubs when electricity came around and superceeded the oil lamp beacons.
How droll, I was more referring to the fact that LED bulbs in marine applications do not seem to be at a constant standard yet and until they are I will continue using old bulbs, their limitations are known and I carry spares. Walk around something like SeaWorx and you'll see different LED buoys with a vast array of different LEDs, until there is some uniformity why risk it.

Also if the colouring on bulbs is going due to vibration use clear bulbs with covers. The covers do eventually fade (~8 years) and cost about £2.50 each to replace... Cheaper, easier...
Old 29 June 2012, 10:08   #17
SR4

^^^^^
Old 29 June 2012, 10:10   #18
SR4

Have you seen the LED rabbit vibrators, don't know what the life expectancy of the bulbs in them are, but seem to be waterproof to IPX7 and suffer sever shock as well

Mind you those type of people on these sort of committees normally don't have a life, so I expect they still fumble around in the dark
Old 29 June 2012, 12:12   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:

NURSE! I'm ready now!
Blimey! somebody's tired

Even "traditional" nav lights have to comply with standards, regarding colour, viewing angle, power, etc. That's why certain lights will only accept a specific bulb. As LED lights become more reliable & standardised, they will replace filament bulbs. They will become a fit & forget item, especially on yachts, where climbing a mast to change a bulb will be a thing of the past.

I'm sure someone will bring out a set of LEDs in orange
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2012, 14:12   #20
SR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I'm sure someone will bring out a set of LEDs in orange
I think you will find hovercrafts have them already