Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 November 2020, 22:08   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Orpington
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Narwhal
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 13
Installing a kill switch

Good morning, just need a little help in installing a kill switch for my RIB. If someone could assist me in understanding how I need to wire the switch. Thank you.
__________________

__________________
DJarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2020, 05:35   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,055
Little more info please.

Are you talking about a kill switch to kill the outboard or something to isolate all the electrics?

If for the engine what engine have you got & what's the issue with it's factory kill switch?
__________________

__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2020, 05:42   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Orpington
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Narwhal
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Little more info please.

Are you talking about a kill switch to kill the outboard or something to isolate all the electrics?

If for the engine what engine have you got & what's the issue with it's factory kill switch?
To kill the outboard. It is a 75hp Mercury 2 Stroke. The throttle on the console does not have a kill switch on.

Where would i find the factory kill switch?

Sorry new to power boating, been a sailor all my life till now.
__________________
DJarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 November 2020, 18:47   #4
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 86
There is a different kill switch for 4 stroke and 2 stroke.
The 4 stroke in a normally closed switch N/C
And, a 4 stroke switch is a normally open switch N/O.

Make sure you select the correct switch.

Connect the N/O switch between the power going to the spark plug and the body of the engine (earth)
When the wedge is pulled out of the switch, it shorts out the current to earth and stops the engine.
__________________
Salty Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 06:28   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,055
Is there a kill switch on the outboard itself?

May be best if you post pics of the console showing the throttle control?

I presume it allows you to throttle & select gears?

Does it have a turn key for remote starting?

Is there a two position flick type switch on the throttle with a plastic guard over it? - common for Mercury controls which use a loop not a wedge on the killcord.
If it does have the flick switch then - assuming it's connected - that's your kill switch & you need one of this type: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Q...-/161202095407
__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 17:53   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
There is a different kill switch for 4 stroke and 2 stroke.
The 4 stroke in a normally closed switch N/C
And, a 4 stroke switch is a normally open switch N/O.
?....
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 19:58   #7
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 86
Ahem, ShinyShoe that of course was a deliberate error to see if you guys were awake.

The 4 stroke has a normally closed switch
and a 2 stroke has a normally open switch.
__________________
Salty Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 20:07   #8
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 86
Hi paintman, that link is for a Kill Switch Lanyard.

On Ebay there is a switch from Jeanstreetshipyard it has a N/O and a N/C connector in it.

I tried tp copy and paste the link but it didn't want to work.
__________________
Salty Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 01:45   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
Ahem, ShinyShoe that of course was a deliberate error to see if you guys were awake.

The 4 stroke has a normally closed switch
and a 2 stroke has a normally open switch.
But is that even correct?
__________________
ShinyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 03:26   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJarvis View Post
To kill the outboard. It is a 75hp Mercury 2 Stroke. The throttle on the console does not have a kill switch on.

Where would i find the factory kill switch?

Sorry new to power boating, been a sailor all my life till now.
Post a picture of your throttle, it likely has the flick switch type kill switch unless its a very old one or someone fitted a none standard helm control.
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 03:54   #11
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
But is that even correct?
Hi ShinyShoes

Yep. I am referring to a normally open contact as being open when the wedge is in.

A 2 stroke outboard or any 2 stroke engine is stopped by earthing the ignition and it doesn't matter what brand it is.

On a 2 stroke there is generally a stop button. This stop button earths the ignition.

To install a kill switch you wire it in, parallel to the contacts on the stop button.

When the kill switch is operated, the contact in the kill switch closes and bypasses the stop button and earths the ignition.

If however you have a key switch, this makes it a bit more complicated because you would need a continuity meter to determine what contacts close when the switch is turned off.

I had a 2 stroke outboard and bought the wrong killswitch ie a 4 stroke one. Hence the reason I have some knowledge of killswitch installations.
__________________
Salty Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 05:32   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
Hi paintman, that link is for a Kill Switch Lanyard.
.

We haven't yet established what control the OP has.
If it's a Mercury/Quicksilver one then he may have overlooked the switch not realising what it is.
They're a bit odd & don't look like the kill button/wedge operated ones usually seen.
The lanyard linked is the correct one for that type of kill switch as they don't use a wedge.
Hopefully they'll post a pic & we can go from there.

ETA Mine has that type & is a two stroke.
__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 06:32   #13
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 86
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercury Circuit.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	135592

This is the circuit that I got from Googling 1975 Mercury.
It does not include a Kill Switch. On the right hand top of the circuit is the switch. It doesn't say what type of switch it is but it goes to earth (ground) it is the stop switch.

Attach the two connectors of the N/O Kill Switch to the connectors of that switch. Easy, job done.
__________________
Salty Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 07:31   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Pete View Post
Attachment 135592

This is the circuit that I got from Googling 1975 Mercury.
It does not include a Kill Switch. On the right hand top of the circuit is the switch. It doesn't say what type of switch it is but it goes to earth (ground) it is the stop switch.

Attach the two connectors of the N/O Kill Switch to the connectors of that switch. Easy, job done.
Of all the Mercury wiring diagrams you could have googled you managed to find one for a belt driven distributer 1975 dinosaur...
__________________
Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2020, 22:47   #15
Member
 
Country: Australia
Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 86
This is getting like the Monty Python sketch where you pay for an argument.
__________________
Salty Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 03:10   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: wormit
Boat name: lots of them
Make: various
Length: no boat
Engine: all types
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 542
We need a pic but 99% chance it will be a command 2000 controller as thatís what came in the box with engine. If so there is a kill switch under the ignition switch under that plastic wedge but op just has not found it yet. As for this 2stroke 4 stroke switches being different, since the switch box was fitted right back to the old 4 cylinder engines they all ground the black/ yellow wire to stop engine.
__________________
Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2020, 06:01   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,055
Not the best - all I could find - but this youtube shows the location of the kill switch on the 2000 unit.



Under the key you can see a plastic boxy thing with a slot in its top.

Look in from the rear & you will see a two position toggle/flick type switch.
This is the kill switch.
Up is for run, down is for off.

To turn off as that one is pictured use your key through the slot to push it down.

To fit the lanyard hold it so the plastic loop is vertical with the cord at the bottom.
Put the loop over the switch & push the switch up into the run position.
The lanyard should now be hanging down held in place by the switch.
Operates by flicking the switch down when the lanyard is pulled.

An advantage is that if you go overboard with the lanyard it just needs someone in the boat to flick the switch back up to be able to start the engine. Doesn't need another lanyard in position.
BUT the downside is it could encourage laziness as it doesn't need the lanyard in position.

No doubt the OP will post a pic showing something completely different!

ETA Something slightly different - still a Mercury & the same type of kill switch arrangement. https://www.marineengine.com/parts/i...y/881170A6.jpg
__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 11:25   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Orpington
Boat name: Das Boot
Make: Narwhal
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 13
Thank you

You were spot on, it is exactly as you described. I now have a visible kill switch with the lanyard.


Thank you all for the help.



Quote:
Originally Posted by paintman View Post
Not the best - all I could find - but this youtube shows the location of the kill switch on the 2000 unit.



Under the key you can see a plastic boxy thing with a slot in its top.

Look in from the rear & you will see a two position toggle/flick type switch.
This is the kill switch.
Up is for run, down is for off.

To turn off as that one is pictured use your key through the slot to push it down.

To fit the lanyard hold it so the plastic loop is vertical with the cord at the bottom.
Put the loop over the switch & push the switch up into the run position.
The lanyard should now be hanging down held in place by the switch.
Operates by flicking the switch down when the lanyard is pulled.

An advantage is that if you go overboard with the lanyard it just needs someone in the boat to flick the switch back up to be able to start the engine. Doesn't need another lanyard in position.
BUT the downside is it could encourage laziness as it doesn't need the lanyard in position.

No doubt the OP will post a pic showing something completely different!

ETA Something slightly different - still a Mercury & the same type of kill switch arrangement. https://www.marineengine.com/parts/i...y/881170A6.jpg
__________________
DJarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2021, 17:33   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,055
Thank you for letting us know it's resolved
__________________

__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.