Old 12 January 2003, 19:42   #1

Town: Rishton
Hand Held GPS

Thinking of purchasing a hand held GPS unit for dive site locations, i'd probably be using this in diffirent Ribs hence looking for something that i can stick in a bag and cart onboard.
looking at about £200 budget.

Anyone got any recommendations, i've been looking at the MLR units, but they got a poor revue in one of the boating mags.
Advice appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12 January 2003, 19:49   #2

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
I bought myself the Garmin eTrex a bit ago. It's the most basic of the eTrex range, doesn't have any base map facility or whatever, but it's fine for what I want. So far it seems to be nice and accurate, it's easy to see, decent backlight on the LCD, and is fairly cheap at about £130. If you do get one of the eTrex range and need a PC data cable, don't buy the official Garmin one, it's bloody pricey, and a DIY version costs a couple of quid at most, so let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

Haven't got any experience with other handheld GPS's though, only the eTrex, but overall I like it.

Matt
Old 12 January 2003, 19:53   #3
scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Keep it simple. The garmin e-trex is a very good unit and has all the info you will ever need. I have used lots of different GPS's and to be honest this is one of the best i have used. Even did the last Fastnet race with one!!(Long story)
Stuart
Old 12 January 2003, 20:23   #4

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
I like Garmin because the have a particularly good attitude to customer service, and have a reputation of honouring warranties even after they've run out! For under £200 there's quite a few units in your budget. Personally I use an old GPS 40 hand held (now a GPS 12) which is a good entry level unit - about £120 if you shop around I think.

Do a search... (button at top RH corner) as this is a topic which has been thoroughly discussed in the past.
Old 12 January 2003, 20:34   #5

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Engine: Yanmar diesel
I'm a die-hard Garmin GPS-48 fan because it was designed for the marine environment. It does not have any mapping functions but is very robust and extremely waterproof. When i bought it i paid circa £300-£400 but i beleive they are around £150 now.

Daniel
Old 13 January 2003, 17:23   #6

Town: Cheltenham
If you want a cheap (£117 LBS) easy to use gps and don't expect maricles then you can't beat the basic yellow etrex. I dont think you should bother with the more expensive versions though.

I'm on my second, the first did'nt survive a high speed dunk and the second has gone a bit funny after 3 months constant use in a wet environment. Fair enough I think considering the abuse it recieved.

I would recomend an aqua bag to take the worst off though as mine started to mist up inside, which happens top all elec gear eventually.

If anyone knows of a tougher small (pocket size) gps, shout!

Tiger
Old 13 January 2003, 17:40   #7

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Just for info (never used an e-trax) my GPS 48 has had several dunks, been mountain climbing (in snow and ice), canoeing, sailing, off-roading in my range rover and, of course, RIB'in with me without fault.

Daniel
Old 13 January 2003, 20:24   #8

Town: Ardnamurchan
Boat name: Out of the Blue
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100
MMSI: 235 079 253
I would also highly recommend the GPS48 having used one for several years. However it has now been replaced by the 76 which is also waterproof but has the added advantage of floating! Also have a look at the 72 for a low cost option.
Old 19 January 2003, 08:00   #9

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
My Garmin GPS12 works great for me. The batteries last well, it is waterproof (and let's face it, in my boat it needs to be), I can read it without my glasses, they cost about £120.00/£130.00.
Oh yes, and it looks very stylish (you need all the sea cred you can get in a little boat).

Keith (small can be good) Hart
Old 20 January 2003, 08:11   #10

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Greetings
If you have a look on ebay.co.uk under GPS there are quite a few Garmins inc etrex, GPS12, etc at reasonable prices My HH GPS12 works fine
But no Raymarine 120's going cheep
Ce la vie
Jelly
Old 21 January 2003, 20:00   #11

Town: Rishton
Hand Held GPS

Thankyou everyone for your thoughts and advice, very much appreciated. now decisions decisions!!!!!