Old 13 January 2002, 13:34   #1

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Gmdss

It's time to replace my RT6500, it never lasted long after I moved it from a warm dry cabin into a RIB, wonder why ?.

I am looking at two DSC VHF's, the Simrad RD68 and Icon 501 + DSC100.
I have a few questions if anyone has any experence of them.

Does the smaller screen on the RD68 make GDMSS operation harder than on the Icom ?.

Is it easier having GMDSS split into a seperate unit, or better combined?.

Any comments on the menu systems, which works best?.

Whats the peformance like on both RF and audio?.

As the RD 68 needs a mounting kit to make it flush mount waterproof, how well does this perform ?, and does it allow easy removal of the RD68.

Are the any better DSC VHF's for RIB's ?.

Any other comments or advise on these or any other GMDSS VHF's

Thanks Gary
Old 13 January 2002, 14:24   #2

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
I have the Simrad RS 8300 SOS which is DSC but only class C

this is great for a RIB as only the handset has to be mounted exposed and the main bit is mounted out of harms way inthe console it is also waterproof. I looked at the Simrad RD87 which is the lastest versionthat is close to my RS8300 and if it is as good as my RS8300 then I may go for it It has the same idea with all controls on the handset and a 'black box' you can hide away

book price is £898.88 inc VAT

hope this helps

John
Old 13 January 2002, 18:49   #3

More info on RD87 Please

Hi John

Thanks for the info, do you know where there is any info on the RD87 ?.
I have looked on the Simrad website www.simrad.co.uk and www.simrad.com but can find no info.

I did look at the the RS8300 but wanted at Class D DSC. I also looked at the Skanti version but was told that the "waterproof" handset is not really "waterproof" and if I wanted to use it in a RIB it would be and extra £200 for the waterproof version making it almost £1000 , which was out.

I quite like the handset version as I am short of console space, like many RIB's. So if there is a new one I will look further.

Regard Gary
Old 14 January 2002, 16:08   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
I have had 2 RD68s now. After installation of the first one on my Avon RIB I sold the complete boat. I was so pleased with it I bought a second for my current boat. I never had any problems with waterproofing although I do agree the screen is small. Two separate units (VHF and DSC) may tend to offer space problems though, that is why I went for the combo unit. I also agree the unit is not take-outable easily after installation, if that is what you want to do. As far as I am aware the flush mount kit is merely a seal set so that you dont have to mount it in a waterproof box.
All I can say is I am a happy RD68 user.
Question? Do you intend to make a lot of use of the DSC bit? For me the main thing is that it has a feed to my GPS giving my update position and in the event of a problem I can throw he safety catch and lean on the panic button safe in the knowledge (I think) that the coast guard will not only hear me, but know who I am, where I am and that I need help urgento !
Old 14 January 2002, 16:26   #5

Gary

Have sent you an E-mail as I could not attach a word doc and the scan was too big.

John
Old 14 January 2002, 21:49   #6

Gary

your email returned as unknown so have made the attachment smaller to see if it works

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rd87.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	241  
Old 15 January 2002, 09:26   #7

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
Gary

I don't know the "small" features of the Simrad, (The ones that you get to know when you use the apparatus). Pesonally I use the Icom (without the DSC unit) for 2nd year now. It has a perfect receiver and as much indications on the display as you need. You may put "names" in each chanell and even more you can see if the current chanell is for simplex or duplex use. You may tag as many chanells as you want and scan them all the time or select 2 or 3 and listen to them simultaneously. When I purchased it I asked for the apparatus to be unlocked, so now I can listen to ALL the marine chanells, plus some 5 for "personal use".
P.S. Icom has two seperate speakers, one on the mike and one on the unit. It also has a feature when you place the mike on it's base, (if you want) it automatically jumps to chanell 16.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2002, 19:31   #8

Thanks for the replys everyone, dont know why the e-mail was returned as the address is correct, and have had other e-mails. Nevermind the attached pic if fine to see what the RD87 is about. Have also got more info on it now.

To answer Brian's question, how much use will I make of DSC. Well likly to be not much, (I HOPE ) but if I am buying a new VHF now it will save adding another box or replacing in a few years. I also think that keying in MMSI numbers in a fast moving RIB will be hard in good weather, but time will tell.

With regard to removing the VHF, this will not normaly be done but is useful if you have to leave the RIB in dubious place, most likley on the trailer. Not essential but useful.

I am arranging with a local electronics shop to go and have a look at both. I think that a hands on will decide. From your comments it sounds like I will not go wrong with either. I am not sure about the RD87, looks really good and have got more info on it, but quite expensive when you consider the difference would buy a 406Mhz EPIRB !!.

Again thanks for the info I will let you know if I have joined the Icom or Simrad family.

Thanks Gary
Old 11 March 2002, 21:17   #9

Town: Carrickfergus
Make: Lencraft intruder
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki
Hi Gary

I am interested in what you went for in the end...I am about to try and make the same decision..

Thanks
Eric
Old 12 March 2002, 18:48   #10

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Icom-- best choice

Without a doubt and a second thought,, the icom.
Simrad reliability, for a working boat is nil. Also warranty ends when you seem to turn it on..
Pete