Old 26 January 2014, 11:38   #1

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Garmin update / homeport

I want to update the charts on my plotter (556s) as they're 3 years old now, so I believe that's a simple download onto an SD card & plug SD card into plotter - plotter then reads new charts from the SD card the whole time - you can't "overwrite" the original charts in the unit. That bit I understand.

I'd also like to have Homeport so I can preplan routes at home, but these also need also have to be put onto an SD card. So does Homeport work on the same SD card as the updated chart set?

If that's so do I need to buy the chart update before Homeports? and is it just a matter then of transferring the SD card between PC and plotter with any planned routes saved to the SD chart card?

Technology confuses me very easily!
Old 08 February 2014, 16:09   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Hi there - I have the same setup as you so can help as no-one else has replied.

Yes - you use the same SD card to do the update, plan routes with homeport and update the plotter.

So:

1 - download the update - I do it from here:

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/login...MapsHome.faces

Even though I'm pretty techie, I find the Garmin site not that intuitive to use.

2 - put SD card into plotter and update (it may do this automatically)

3 - then put SD card back into your PC to work with homeport. Homeport won't have the maps without the SD card being inserted.

Also, I make a duplicate SD card and keep that in a sealed watertight bag in the boat, just in case the first one it gets damaged / lost. And try it to make sure it works.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old 09 February 2014, 10:12   #3

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Steve,
Many thanks for the advice - Hadd sent me a pm with almost identical advice. Have updated charts with a free download, and have also downloaded homeport.

I believe I won't really be able to use Homeport with chart info on my PC until I've put the SD card with the updated charts into to the plotter for the first time - Homeport's just showing as a map at present. As the boat's tucked up for the winter with the battery removed & on charge, it will have to wait to the start of my season - only 6 weeks away or thereabouts!

Thanks also for the tip about keeping a spare updated SD card to hand - I hadn't thought of that.