Old 09 May 2010, 00:56   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Garmin pingy thingys

Looking at the Garmin GPSmap 551s, there are two options available for the sounder, a transom mount and a through-hull.

My Vipermax is going to have a through-hull sounder installed, seems to be the best way to go, the question is does it matter which type I use if it is just going to be glooped onto the inside of the hull?

As far as I can tell the proper "through hull sounder" is designed to be actually through the hull - in other words bore a hole in the bottom which I am not going to be doing.

I seem to remember seeing on here that some people have installed transom mount ones inside the hull or bilge well, so is there any reason for choosing one or the other? The transom mount one has a temp sender but that probably won't work inside the hull and anyway I don't need a computer to tell me the South Atlantic is too fkn cold to swim in

The transom mount type is a little cheaper so if there is no reason for choosing one or the other, I guess I would go for that.

Any thoughts please?

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2010, 06:27   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Mine's a transom mount one on a Garmin 172.It's sikaflexed into the inside of the hull and the temp sender works quite well.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2010, 06:30   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Engine: 115 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Mine's a transom mount one.It's sikaflexed into the inside of the hull and the temp sender works quite well.
I have had all the vessels I owed the same way except for one rib and they have all worked very well. No problems so long as they are set at the right angle and well fixed in...and they have all been the transom mount type.
Old 09 May 2010, 08:06   #4

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Old 09 May 2010, 08:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Looking at the Garmin GPSmap 551s, there are two options available for the sounder, a transom mount and a through-hull.

My Vipermax is going to have a through-hull sounder installed, seems to be the best way to go, the question is does it matter which type I use if it is just going to be glooped onto the inside of the hull?

As far as I can tell the proper "through hull sounder" is designed to be actually through the hull - in other words bore a hole in the bottom which I am not going to be doing.

I seem to remember seeing on here that some people have installed transom mount ones inside the hull or bilge well, so is there any reason for choosing one or the other? The transom mount one has a temp sender but that probably won't work inside the hull and anyway I don't need a computer to tell me the South Atlantic is too fkn cold to swim in

The transom mount type is a little cheaper so if there is no reason for choosing one or the other, I guess I would go for that.

Any thoughts please?
Some manuals show you how to mount a transom transducer inside to the Hull.
Lowrance for one.!!
Old 09 May 2010, 08:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
A constructive comment still it gets your number of post's up.
Old 09 May 2010, 09:01   #7

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:

Any thoughts please?
Stephen, if you wanted a through hull unit then I am sure Osprey would fit it for you whilst the boat is being built, make sure you also spec a hatch to access it though in case it ever fails.

Otherwise just do what I did and get busy with the jigsaw !

Osprey will also fit a transom sounder into the hull if you ask them to however reading your post I assume that you are going to fit your own electronics?

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2010, 09:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Stephen, if you wanted a through hull unit then I am sure Osprey would fit it for you whilst the boat is being built, make sure you also spec a hatch to access it though in case it ever fails.

Otherwise just do what I did and get busy with the jigsaw !

Osprey will also fit a transom sounder into the hull if you ask them to however reading your post I assume that you are going to fit your own electronics?
A round access hatch cover is what i am going to use .
The well has been formed in readiness for a later installation.
Old 09 May 2010, 12:52   #9

Chris, Roy is going to get the hull built with a waterproof hatch in the deck in front of the bilge to allow installation of a sounder. Similar to what you have I think, but I left the detail to him.

I haven't decided whether to get them to do the electronics or do it myself, there are various pros and cons. I would prefer to get it done there but then run a bigger risk of it getting nicked/broken in transit, and if I did it myself I could choose the final instrument layout to suit my sitting position etc. There's also slight doubt over the early August delivery date to meet the boat I want to ship it on, so if the choice is ship it on that and fit the electricity myself, or delay by six weeks, I'll be doing the electrics myself.

What I may do is get them to install the Garmin transducer into position, run the cable up to the console and leave the actual instrument to put in myself - the hull is going to be 8 weeks being born so no hurry yet.

If the sounders work well pinging through the hull like yours and others, I would prefer it like that, as there is much less chance of physical damage, replacement is easier if it fails and with less chance of a leak. I would think the real "through hull" (= hole in boat) is better left for much bigger boats where they aren't likely to be beached - something sticking out 1/4 of an inch is going to be vulnerable in several situations including loading on the trailer.

Looks like a transom type and a tube of Sikaflex is the way to go - thanks

Old 09 May 2010, 15:05   #10

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
If they (Osprey) are going to mount the transducer for you, I would recommend the proper in-hull (shoot thru hull) type. I think it is designated P79 by most manufacturers. You might as well get the correct type for its intended position. I am sure a transom mount glued in place is fine, but why compromise when you've got the opportunity to do it correctly right from day one.
Old 09 May 2010, 18:08   #11

Whatever I fit it isn't going to be through a hole in the hull, I just wondered if there was any reason to choose one or the other. There doesn't seem to be one that is designed specially to be glued on the inside of the hull, at least not on the websites I have looked at.

Old 09 May 2010, 18:15   #12

Town: Vancouver, BC Canada
Boat name: Black Ops
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Length: 7m +
Engine: OceanPro 150hp x 2
Transducers designed for the purpose are called "shoot through". Transom models can be glued in as described... neither method will work properly with a cored hull in the transducer location.... thus the "hole in the hull" type.
Old 09 May 2010, 23:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming04 View Post
Transducers designed for the purpose are called "shoot through". Transom models can be glued in as described... neither method will work properly with a cored hull in the transducer location.... thus the "hole in the hull" type.
Can't comment on whether the Vipermax has a cored hull or not (in fact I don't even know what that is) but others (notably Chris who did a thread on his install) seem to have fitted them with no problems in Vipermaxes so going on that, presumably it works and apparently works better than one on the transom. My transom mounted sounder on the old Humber didn't work at all over about 20kt.

Old 10 May 2010, 09:40   #14

The vipermax doesn't have a cored hull (usually ply or balsa sandwiched between layers of fibreglass for strength with least weight). You will find a p79 transducer available from Garmin, Airmar etc which is designed for mounting internally. It has an adjustable angle to cope with deadrise or non-horizontal mounting points.
Old 10 May 2010, 10:31   #15

Aha - something like one of these: http://www.blueheronmarine.com/Detail.bok?no=6567

Are transducers specific to manufacturers or is it just the plug on the end that is different?

Old 10 May 2010, 11:01   #16

Yep thats the baby. Or one of these https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=836 My Garmin one was actually made by Airmar and distributed by Garmin. I have no idea if they have a universal plug on the end. Given we're talking marine electronics here, I very much doubt it!
Old 10 May 2010, 11:05   #17

Same part number

Which is odd as I searched Garmin.com for the part number and their search said it didn't exist

It confirms that it is compatible with the 551s though, thanks

Old 10 May 2010, 18:20   #18

Quote:
Same part number

Which is odd as I searched Garmin.com for the part number and their search said it didn't exist

It confirms that it is compatible with the 551s though, thanks
Stephen,

One thing to bear in mind is your E-tec is going to come with its own NMEA 2000 network, you can plug any NMEA devices into this network and they all talk to each other. So you can plug an NMEA sounder into the network and the data gets displayed on any NMEA GPS / Sounder whether its garmin, lowrance etc.

So for example you will get with the engine a Lowrance GPS antenna as standard this connects up to the network and will feed any NMEA 2000 compliant devices with data about position and speed. This includes the two icommand digital guages you will get with the engine. Also you will get a fuel tank converter that takes the signal from the fuel tank sender then converts it into a digital signal that then gets carried acorss the network to the icommand guages. You can then set up the guages as you want to have them with different data displayed on each.

So as long as you buy NMEA 2000 sensors or display units they should all talk to each other.

Your Garmin 550 is NMEA 2000 so thats a good start ! This should mean that you wont have to fit a second GPS aerial as it will run off the one that comes with the engine. that Osprey will be (I am assuming) fitting for you.

Chris

Born fiddler
Old 10 May 2010, 19:02   #19

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This should mean that you wont have to fit a second GPS aerial
Good point Chris, but the Garmin 550/551 units have internal antennae.
Old 10 May 2010, 19:53   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Good point Chris, but the Garmin 550/551 units have internal antennae.
Bloody new fangled technology !

Born fiddler