Old 21 September 2004, 15:23   #1

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Garmin Loose cables

I’ve added a Garmin 240Blue Fishfinder and 176C GPSmap to my RIB.
Having used the gimble mounts so that I can remove the units for security when not in use, I’m left with the power/data cables hanging out of glands in the console.
I did toy with the idea of short cables and aftermarket water proof plugs and sockets, but the cost of the 13pin item for the Fishfinder was prohibitive and I don’t really want to add extra joints into the circuit.

Anyway, phoned Garmin to enquire after some blanking plugs to stop moisture getting in the ends of the cables when not in use, and was told they do not produce them. I asked if they had any suggestions, and was told to “wrap the ends up with insulation tape each time”. What a professional solution that is!

Next idea was to get hold of some spare sockets from the back of the units, I could seal the backs, set them into the console and plug the loose wires in when not in use, so sealing the ends.
Phoned Garmin again, and was told they could not supply direct to the public, I would have to go through one of their dealers.

Both the dealers I phoned said they could not source parts, so I was back on the phone to Garmin, a different contact to before said it would be impossible to supply the spare sockets to either the public or a dealer, ‘we just don’t do it’ was the reason. What do you suggest I do? Was greeted with ‘wrap the ends up in insulation tape’.

After having a major whinge, It was suggested I write to the CEO in America and suggest Garmin supply blanking plugs as other makes do. They would not supply the name of a senior manager in the UK.

It’s become a matter of principle now rather than cost.
I’ll come up with a solution to this problem that others must have, and post the results, unless anyone has already solved it?

Nasher.
Old 21 September 2004, 15:33   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Nasher

I completely sympathise with you about this, although not the same subject and slight different i've had a simular run in with a major manufacturer.

I've just purchased a yamaha engine, on the yams you have this neat little plastic screw bit that unscrews and allows a hose connector to be screwed into it allowing you to flush the engine through without running the engine, but i've been told you need the exact fiting as the thread is different to anything you can buy in a garden centre or DIY store. So on Sunday i approached the head engineer at the Yamaha stand and asked could they supply me with this part....the answer i got was no and currently Yamaha dont make this connection and the reason hose lock or any other type of fitting does not fit is because the engines are made in Japan where they use a different size thread .....Doh !!!

They have admitted its a big over sight and they are in the process of making the parts now to be released soon, but what a silly thing to scupper such a great engine !!

I've been told that you can use a normal hose connector fitting but to be careful screwing it into the engine fitting because it may strip the thread.
Old 21 September 2004, 15:40   #3

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
I’ve added a Garmin 240Blue Fishfinder and 176C GPSmap to my RIB.
Having used the gimble mounts so that I can remove the units for security when not in use, I’m left with the power/data cables hanging out of glands in the console.
I did toy with the idea of short cables and aftermarket water proof plugs and sockets, but the cost of the 13pin item for the Fishfinder was prohibitive and I don’t really want to add extra joints into the circuit.

Anyway, phoned Garmin to enquire after some blanking plugs to stop moisture getting in the ends of the cables when not in use, and was told they do not produce them. I asked if they had any suggestions, and was told to “wrap the ends up with insulation tape each time”. What a professional solution that is!

Next idea was to get hold of some spare sockets from the back of the units, I could seal the backs, set them into the console and plug the loose wires in when not in use, so sealing the ends.
Phoned Garmin again, and was told they could not supply direct to the public, I would have to go through one of their dealers.

Both the dealers I phoned said they could not source parts, so I was back on the phone to Garmin, a different contact to before said it would be impossible to supply the spare sockets to either the public or a dealer, ‘we just don’t do it’ was the reason. What do you suggest I do? Was greeted with ‘wrap the ends up in insulation tape’.

After having a major whinge, It was suggested I write to the CEO in America and suggest Garmin supply blanking plugs as other makes do. They would not supply the name of a senior manager in the UK.

It’s become a matter of principle now rather than cost.
I’ll come up with a solution to this problem that others must have, and post the results, unless anyone has already solved it?

Nasher.
I have a Hummingbird sonar which is 10+ years old the plugs have survived so far with out protection!
I do put a blob of Vaseline on them now & again.
Nick
Old 21 September 2004, 15:41   #4

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
Nasher

....plastic screw bit that unscrews and allows a hose connector to be screwed into it allowing you to flush the engine through without running the engine, but i've been told you need the exact fiting as the thread is different to anything you can buy in a garden centre or DIY store. .......

....where they use a different size thread .....Doh !!!
Ditto my Suzuki.. it's an American thread pitch!
Old 21 September 2004, 15:43   #5
ADS

Town: Dorset
You have to be careful with those as not all engines have them. A member of the sailing club was about to unscrew the gearbox drain plug and put the hose into that when I managed to stop him! The same member was caught weeks later flushing the enngine through with the muffs on at half throttle in gear!

Is there no way of bodging the attatchment with... you've guessed it insulation tape?
Old 21 September 2004, 17:04   #6

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Ads

No the flush pipe comes out through the top cowling and has a connection which you need to unscrew, this then attaches to a normal garden hose for flushing, once finished you MUST re screw the connections together or the engine wont be geting any cooling water when you next start the engine.

So no gaffer tape wont work !!!

Hozelock connections fit but they are not the correct thread diametre, this means the parts dont connect properly, and there is a potential to screw the thread up on the engine !!
Old 21 September 2004, 18:01   #7

Town: Newport
Make: Avon Rover 3.4
Engine: Merc 15hp F/S
Firstly the engine- I have run the same Yam system for a season and have no problem at all using a hoselock fitting screwed in finger tight although it took me a while to find the right one. The comment about the engine block confused me slightly, I unscrew from the end of the hose that terminates on a blanking plate and then fit the hoselock and this has worked fine.
Secondly the garmin connections, I have a Lowrance unit gimble mounted and have the same problem ie no blanking plugs. I haven't bothered protecting because the boat is always covered when not in use. If you decide to seal try something like a finger off a marigold/surgical glove or if you really want to open yourself to ridicule a condom. One of the reasons I didn't go down these routes was that I thought trapping any moisture around the connections might have a worse corrosive effect than allowing them to breathe.
Old 21 September 2004, 20:45   #8

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher
Having used the gimble mounts so that I can remove the units for security when not in use, I’m left with the power/data cables hanging out of glands in the console.Nasher.
Are you saying that you want to protect the connectors that go into the units when they are disconnected? When I first read this I thought you had cut the connectors off!!

Real easy way to protect the connectors is to stick a small plastic bag over each one and wrap a couple of elastic bands round the neck. Not pretty but effective, you could also stick a small bag of silica gel in just to be on the safe side.

As Nick says, a blob of vasiline or silicone grease should also do the trick if the boat is covered when stored.

Edit:- You stole my thunder woot, too fast for me.
Old 21 September 2004, 20:50   #9

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I think you'll find the Garmin connectors are gold. They shouldn't corrode.
Old 21 September 2004, 21:07   #10

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
loose connectors

Ours hang loose (Ooo-err!) but are usually covered by the canvas console cover when the instruments are removed. None of the instruments are Garmin - an Eagle f/finder, Raymarine plotter and MLR GPS. All survive OK (so far!) without any grease, tape, plastic bags or other stuff. That's done it, they'll probably all fail on the next cruise after I've said that...

We also use a hozelock attachment for flushing and it's fine - but I'm always careful with threads. Remember the "experts" rule for thread tightening - torque it down until it starts to strip, then back it off half a turn. Perfect!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2004, 00:07   #11

Town: Alton
Boat name: Arrow Flight
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercury 175 EFI
MMSI: 235026883
Nasher,

I can't show you a photo because the boats down at the yard, but I use two 35mm film canisters to protect my two Garmin cable connectors. If you make a cable sized hole in the lids, then a slit from the hole to the edge, you can attach the lids permanently to the cables, just behind the connectors, with some waterproof sealant. (I used Sikaflex).

When your GPS is not in use, the cannisters are clipped on to the lids protecting the connectors. Remove the cannisters to connect the GPS and stick 'em in a pocket until you next remove your GPS. They're cheap, replaceable and effective.

I agree they're probably unecessary, but it makes me feel as if I'm doing the right thing!
Old 22 September 2004, 07:34   #12

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Sorry.. not RIB related... but I just noticed your occupation!.. "A320"....."bus driver"....
Old 22 September 2004, 08:48   #13

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
I just spray mine with silicone spray every time I fit them, it works fine for the underwater kit at work so it should be fine for them.
Old 22 September 2004, 08:58   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
I think you'll find the Garmin connectors are gold. They shouldn't corrode.
They certainly gunge up with green stuff
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2004, 09:04   #15

If ever asked, I used to tell people 'I work in aluminium tubing'. That was fine until I came across an inquisitive German in a bar in Munich. He was a metallurgist and wouldn't leave it alone! Now I just say I'm a 'bus driver'.

Frighteningly, my Garmin has a faster processor and more memory than the kit I work with every day.

I'm as grateful as ever to Lurcher for sending me the attached pic, titled 'just another day at the office'! Thanks sport!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	777-Engine-Fire_web.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	8428  
Old 22 September 2004, 10:42   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
They certainly gunge up with green stuff
Do they... must be some copper in there then.
Old 22 September 2004, 10:43   #17

Nice pic. I hope it's landing rather that taking off
Old 22 September 2004, 11:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Nice pic. I hope it's landing rather that taking off
bet they wished it was too, but it was take-off.
Old 22 September 2004, 11:17   #19

Town: Oban
Boat name: RIB Tickle
Make: Humber Assault
Length: 5.3m
Engine: Yamaha 60ETO,Tohatsu 3.5
Thats the funny thing, to get all this stuff certified for use takes so long that all kit used apart from Military (and even that is dated compared to home stuff) is ancient technology.
It is sobering to think that the PC you are reading this on is far more powerful than all the computer power that took men to the moon and light years ahead of the technology on the Space shuttle
Old 22 September 2004, 12:00   #20
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
Plugs

I used a film canister from 35mm roll which takes the plug and has a snap on cap you can seal the other end with sikaflex .