Old 09 April 2009, 07:52   #1

Town: KELSO
Boat name: BITER
Make: NORTHCRAFT 6M
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI DF115 4STROKE
Garmin gps 520s -connection problem

Garmin gps 520s -connection problem -

The head unit works when a 12v supply is fed direct to the ground and live pins.the connector plug also has power at its pins.I have scraped the pins and also applied some WD40 to both.I then connect them together and try to turn the unit on but it does not start up.
The connector is fully home and the retaining knuckle given a half turn to secure .I am stuck for any new answers anybody had similar problem and resolved it ?

Woodski
Old 09 April 2009, 08:09   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodski View Post
Garmin gps 520s -connection problem -

The head unit works when a 12v supply is fed direct to the ground and live pins.the connector plug also has power at its pins.I have scraped the pins and also applied some WD40 to both.I then connect them together and try to turn the unit on but it does not start up.
The connector is fully home and the retaining knuckle given a half turn to secure .I am stuck for any new answers anybody had similar problem and resolved it ?

Woodski

I had a similar problem with intermittent power and had to bend the pins very slightly on the unit to get a good contact with the socket

Jim
Old 09 April 2009, 15:10   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Take a look at the sockets on the cable. Are they some like a pair of "C" shaped leaves that surround the pins? If they are, take something like a sewing needle, and jam it down the outside of the C shape on either side. That will close them up a bit. Might also check the voltage at the pins with a meter, just to make sure the cable's good.

jky