Old 21 June 2021, 12:59   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Garmin Echomap 50s Faulty?

I purchased a used Garmin and found the depth reading freezes at speed, nothing unexpected here, but when I slow down again or come to a halt I have to reboot the device to get the measurement back again. Most inconvenient.

Is this normal? Here's a picture of the transducer, I'm glad I used silicon sealant as the bedding compound in case I ever needed to remove it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Echomap50sTransducer.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	137820  
Old 21 June 2021, 13:26   #2

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
The Transducer looks like its for external applications, not internal, I think you need something like a Garmin GT15.
Old 21 June 2021, 13:49   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I wonder similar. Would it be possible to temp trial it in the water using any bit of timber to mount hung off the transom and see if the problem goes away?
Old 21 June 2021, 17:11   #4

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
I purchased a used Garmin and found the depth reading freezes at speed, nothing unexpected here, but when I slow down again or come to a halt I have to reboot the device to get the measurement back again. Most inconvenient.

Is this normal? Here's a picture of the transducer, I'm glad I used silicon sealant as the bedding compound in case I ever needed to remove it.
I have the same external tranducers mounted internal to both my boats ,both are araldited in ,both work fantastic never being upset by speed ,there is two types one has 6 pins and one has 8 ,seamark nunn have both and the expensive one is only £60 ,from my time when i was into ultrasonic flowmetering (which is similar application holding sensor on the outside of pipes ) we always did temporary checks with K-Y jelly (from boots) ,never used silicone ,maybe silicone would absorb the signal ?? maybe like when you were a kid with the two tins and a string link ,worked better when some "twang " in the string ,
Old 22 June 2021, 07:00   #5

Thanks for the responses, food for thought.

The 50s is 50/200khz dual frequency and 77/200khz dual beam compatible (not sure precisely what that means) and I don't think the GT15 will work, it being mid-band 85-165 kHz. Otherwise I'd buy it.

That leaves the only choice as remounting the existing transducer before our next outing. Don't fancy external fitting so I'm going to try and compensate better for the deadrise and use a different bedding compound. Will use KY jelly (or Vaseline?) before permanent epoxy.
Old 06 September 2021, 20:51   #6

To conclude this thread I re-affixed the transducer with epoxy resin which I thickened with floor screed because that's all I had and it has a fine texture. I made a dam using foam tape.

I'm pleased to report that now I get depth readings all the way up to full speed and all is well. Don't use silicon sealant.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambini29kn.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	138714