Old 07 August 2005, 22:45   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Eighth Child
Make: Rib X
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 E-Tec
Garmin Data card or CD ROM?

I have just got a boat with a Garmin 182 (black and white) already installed on it and I'm trying to work out how to use it.

I've read as many threads as I can find on here about the Blue Chart and the tide stations.

Should I buy the blue chart data card to go direct in to the unit or get the CD ROM? If I get the CD ROM am I right in thinking that I have to get another device to transfer the info on to a blank data card and then shove that into the data port on the unit?

Does having the blue chart mean I get the tide info in with it?

All new to me this chartplotter malarky so any help gratefully received

Peter.
Old 07 August 2005, 23:08   #2

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J
I have just got a boat with a Garmin 182 (black and white) already installed on it and I'm trying to work out how to use it.

I've read as many threads as I can find on here about the Blue Chart and the tide stations.

Should I buy the blue chart data card to go direct in to the unit or get the CD ROM? If I get the CD ROM am I right in thinking that I have to get another device to transfer the info on to a blank data card and then shove that into the data port on the unit?

Does having the blue chart mean I get the tide info in with it?

All new to me this chartplotter malarky so any help gratefully received

Peter.
Hi Peter,

Personally I'd go with the CD-Rom, Card and Card Reader. It costs a bit more but then you can sit at home and plan a voyage from the comfort of your arm chair rather than having to sit on the boat and put them in manually.

All you do is plan your trip, mark your waypoints plug the blank card into the Garmin USB card reader and upload the data. Take the card down to your boat and push the card into the slot and off you go.....job done!

The CD-Rom definately comes with the tide and marina info but am not sure about the pre-done cards!? Maybe someone else could answer that one for you.

Hope that helps

P
Old 08 August 2005, 00:34   #3

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Pre Done cards DO come with tide information and show marina information (mine 2004 does).

I think that you can either :-
a) connect your GPS via a RS-232 (serial) connection for approx £25 and garmin waypoint software for £25 + pre programmed card (£50) - total (£100) but this needs your GPS to be removable from the boat.

or

b) the other option is CD (£130) + card writer (£55) + empty card (£45), total of £230 and then you make your own card. - CD comes with waypoint software on it.

I'm not sure if you can upload the map to your PC with the cheaper option. RS-232 is slower option also.

I have the same dilema as you and debating which way to go - don't want to spend £100 only to have to spend £230 later - 'cause the £100 doesn't quite do it.

If your GPS is fixed to the boat then I suppose the dearer option is the only real way to go.

Hope this helps
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2005, 07:34   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Pete, The pre programmed cards are about £150. I just couldn't be bothered with pissing about with a computer and CD Rom, and elads etc so went and bought the card. We now know English Channel chart covers down to St Malo on the French coast so you are only likely to need one chart.

Pete
Old 08 August 2005, 08:15   #5

Town: Swanmore nr Fareham
Boat name: Greyhound
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 Opti
Maybe the cost of the pre programmed card depends on the coverage? - Mine was £50 and covers solent down to channel isles. If the cards are £150 - then I've got one going cheap as I will use the CD option - just pm me if interested
Stuart M is offline   Reply With Quote