Old 09 September 2022, 20:23   #1

Town: Inverness
Boat name: Knotty Rita!
Make: Zodiac pro 9
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 50hp
Fishfinder with charts ???

I have a Garmin striker plus 4CV. I have used it for about 3 hours from new !! My mum hasn't been doing so well over the last 3 years so my free time has pretty much been spent with her, hence low usage...
I have recently got a slightly bigger rib (4m to 4.7m) and wanting something that ticks my boxes.

All i want is something that is fit for purpose, (ie. works well), has a fish finder, Gps, larger screen than the Garmin with charts for around scotland.
Plotting my own ground like the garmin is not of any use to me. I just want charts to find wrecks, depths, shoreline and everything else that goes along with them.

What do people have that they can recommend because all the different choices, models and sales talk are to much for my brain to take in

Thanks for any advice on the matter !!

Budget is £400 to £700, mainly due to suspected lack of use
Old 09 September 2022, 20:55   #2

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Personally I’d be looking at a cheap Garmin 451s or 551s. You can buy the Navionics charts cheaply from the right person.
Old 09 September 2022, 21:12   #3

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I like my Garmin stuff

I'd suggest a Garmin Echomap 75CV and a GT22HW transducer which I think would come in at the top end of your budget. They tend to come pre-loaded with charts.

I also use Memory Map for plotting routes and Antares Charts which has some very large scale charts primarily of the west coast of Scotland. The Antares Charts interface with the Memory Map ones and you can have them on your phone / tablet.
Old 09 September 2022, 22:04   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Look for offers (boat show time) https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Garmin...AaAvfbEALw_wcB
Old 12 September 2022, 22:09   #5

Thanks for the replies !!

I have taken them on board and going for a garmin... looking at a GPSMAP 722xs for £650, an echomap 75sv for £500 or going to similar size as i have now..., an echomap 45cv for £220 or 2nd hand 75cv for £400, give or take..
Done a little research and a bit confused... Thoughts welcomed between now and tomorrow morning but as things stand right now i will be going for the 75sv.

All come without tranducer.
Old 13 September 2022, 16:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I like my Garmin stuff

I'd suggest a Garmin Echomap 75CV and a GT22HW transducer which I think would come in at the top end of your budget. They tend to come pre-loaded with charts.

I also use Memory Map for plotting routes and Antares Charts which has some very large scale charts primarily of the west coast of Scotland. The Antares Charts interface with the Memory Map ones and you can have them on your phone / tablet.
Ok, I Bought the Garmin Echomap 75sv. It is much the same as the cv apparently apart from also having side vue. Will the GT22HW transducer be the weapon of choice ???

Sorry for nipping your head ! Thanks.
Old 13 September 2022, 20:55   #7

RIBase
I think if you want the SideVu functionality you would have to change from the GT22.

https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/t...tion_guide.pdf

In the table in the attached link, there is a column for the Echomap UHD SV Series which gives compatible or recommended transducers. Most of the transducers are compatible although some will require an additional cable.

If you want to get the most out of your 75SV, I'd suggest a GT56 but it is budget busting. From the table a GT30 is more in budget and compatible without additional cables.
Old 14 September 2022, 18:18   #8

Quote:
I think if you want the SideVu functionality you would have to change from the GT22.

In the table in the attached link, there is a column for the Echomap UHD SV Series which gives compatible or recommended transducers. Most of the transducers are compatible although some will require an additional cable.

If you want to get the most out of your 75SV, I'd suggest a GT56 but it is budget busting. From the table a GT30 is more in budget and compatible without additional cables.
So much choice , I have gone for the GT54 UHD model, seems aqequate ... Thanks for all your help, taken so much pain out of my purchasing
Old 15 September 2022, 20:27   #9

Quote:

Just a quick question, the plotter i bought is a 75sv plus but it is not listed in the garmin link.... Will the transducer for the UHD version work with my plus model ?
I have tried to use google to find the answer but after 30mins i still can't find confirmation

Please help
Old 15 September 2022, 21:17   #10

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Why not ask the place you bought it from?
Old 16 September 2022, 08:29   #11

RIBase
Looking down the list, there are very few transducers that aren't compatible with the Echomap UHD SV Series so I think your GT54 should work.

I don't know what the + means but I guess it won't be a wholesale shift away from the functionality and compatability of the non + ones.