Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 19 November 2020, 15:56   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 76
Fish finder chartplotter

The boss and me are looking for recommendations and/or advice please.

We would like a fish finder and to be able to store a location and return to it. And to know the depth below us. I think it would be useful to see our position on a chart, especially if we take our rib to new launch sites.

Ideally, we would like a middle of the road model, from a manufacturer with a good reputation. Something that's easy to use.
We are hoping we could get something suitable for around £300. But we could push that to maybe £400 - £500, if it made a significant difference.

Thank you in advance for any advice and recommendations you can help us with
__________________

__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 17:08   #2
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,981
RIBase
Any plotter/sounder combo from a well known manufacturer will do what you want at your price point.
I would go for the biggest screen that you can get for your money.
Navionics charts
Transducer included, some arenít & will add cost.

Keep an eye out on websites like Cactus, Force4 etc. There will be offers & bundles after Christmas.
__________________

__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 17:16   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Any plotter/sounder combo from a well known manufacturer will do what you want at your price point.
I would go for the biggest screen that you can get for your money.
Navionics charts
Transducer included, some aren’t & will add cost.

Keep an eye out on websites like Cactus, Force4 etc. There will be offers & bundles after Christmas.
Many thanks. Really appreciate your advice.
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 17:49   #4
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,998
RIBase
When you said up to £500, wow, that's into decent tech territory.

Garmin, Lowrance, Hummingbird, Raymarine, Simrad, the world is literally your oyster! I'll let some of the more tech-knowledgeable Ribnet members help you spend your cash.

I'm still using a prehistoric Garmin Etrex GPS and a Garmin greyscale fishfinder for depth. Hey, they still do the job. We found the MV Taurus near Montrose with the fishfinder that had been sunk by the Luftwaffe during the war. And the Etrex is perfect for GPS waypoints as it was foggy on the trip south.
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 18:42   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
When you said up to £500, wow, that's into decent tech territory.

Garmin, Lowrance, Hummingbird, Raymarine, Simrad, the world is literally your oyster! I'll let some of the more tech-knowledgeable Ribnet members help you spend your cash.

I'm still using a prehistoric Garmin Etrex GPS and a Garmin greyscale fishfinder for depth. Hey, they still do the job. We found the MV Taurus near Montrose with the fishfinder that had been sunk by the Luftwaffe during the war. And the Etrex is perfect for GPS waypoints as it was foggy on the trip south.
Thank you. Would like to spend less if possible.
The weakest link in any fishfinder will be me!
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 18:53   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 76
Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Any plotter/sounder combo from a well known manufacturer will do what you want at your price point.
I would go for the biggest screen that you can get for your money.
Navionics charts
Transducer included, some arenít & will add cost.

Keep an eye out on websites like Cactus, Force4 etc. There will be offers & bundles after Christmas.
I quite like the Lowrance hook 5 or 7. Cactus have got them both with a transducer at a very good black friday price. They come with a CMap but are compatible with Navionics. The Navionics charts look better than the Cmap. Is it expensive to swap them over please?
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 01:29   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 140HP
MMSI: 235115642
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,200
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
... with the fishfinder that had been sunk by the Luftwaffe during the war....
That's some accurate bombing that is.
__________________
GuyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 03:07   #8
Member
 
craig_c's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 725
RIBase
Second hand Raymarine A series would do that. Some of them also have internal antenna's for super simple installation.

A transom hung depth sounder would be relatively cheap also for one of these and keep you well withing budget
__________________
2006 Redbay 8.4 Expedition "Crusader"
craig_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 03:57   #9
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,998
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
That's some accurate bombing that is.
Apologies for thread-drift.

Linky here GuyC: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...recent-storms/
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 04:37   #10
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,981
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
I quite like the Lowrance hook 5 or 7. Cactus have got them both with a transducer at a very good black friday price. They come with a CMap but are compatible with Navionics. The Navionics charts look better than the Cmap. Is it expensive to swap them over please?


I have a Hook5 on my SIB, the screen is a bit small (for my eyes) but it does the job. Be careful with the hook series, not all have GPS built it. I think itís the Hook 5x that has GPS. Charts are a simple case of swapping the microSD card over. The Navionics chart may cost as much as the unit depending on area covered.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 04:58   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: N. Devon
Boat name: Nutkin Too
Make: X-Pro Defender
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235095884
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,564
RIBase
I use a Garmin echo - built in gps antenna and a smallish transducer on the back. Not too big on the dash board and plenty of accuracy for me. It's not the biggest screen but works ok for me around the South Coast and hits each of your requirements above.

Not so sure I'll be great on long passage planed trips with lots of waypoints or long crossings, but I don't so it's great
__________________
Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 05:19   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,326
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
I quite like the Lowrance hook 5 or 7. Cactus have got them both with a transducer at a very good black friday price. They come with a CMap but are compatible with Navionics. The Navionics charts look better than the Cmap. Is it expensive to swap them over please?
I've got the hook 7 with Navionics map on my sib Navionics maps are about £200 i think the screen is good enough to read in the chop so well happy as others have said any of the top brands will do.
i dont mess with mine i set it to auto and use the fishing chart simple
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 09:46   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Second hand Raymarine A series would do that. Some of them also have internal antenna's for super simple installation.

A transom hung depth sounder would be relatively cheap also for one of these and keep you well withing budget
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 09:54   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
I use a Garmin echo - built in gps antenna and a smallish transducer on the back. Not too big on the dash board and plenty of accuracy for me. It's not the biggest screen but works ok for me around the South Coast and hits each of your requirements above.

Not so sure I'll be great on long passage planed trips with lots of waypoints or long crossings, but I don't so it's great
Thank you. We don't do long trips either. The reasons I looked at the lowrance was they appear to be cheaper and you have the option of putting the navionics card in them, as Dave was recommending. Do you know if Garmin will take the Navionics too please?

I was thinking about a pole mount to avoid drilling the transom. Almost fell of my chair when I saw the cost of those Minn Kota pole mounts
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 10:28   #15
Member
 
craig_c's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 725
RIBase
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raymarine...UAAOSwTnpfoDDg

Not one of mine ( I have a hobby of repairing old chartplotters ) but looks in decent nick. The guy also takes offers too. You will need a mount or to make a mount but a transom hung transducer is usually around £80 so factor that in
__________________
2006 Redbay 8.4 Expedition "Crusader"
craig_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 11:46   #16
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 9,981
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
Thank you. We don't do long trips either. The reasons I looked at the lowrance was they appear to be cheaper and you have the option of putting the navionics card in them, as Dave was recommending. Do you know if Garmin will take the Navionics too please?



I was thinking about a pole mount to avoid drilling the transom. Almost fell of my chair when I saw the cost of those Minn Kota pole mounts


Garmin now own Navionics, afaik a software update will allow newer Garmin units to use Navionics, check before you buy though. Lowrance are good & tend to give more bang for your buck compared to Garmin. If youíre not in a rush (and why would you be?) you might start seeing Garmin units bundled with Navionics charts. You need the Gold or Platinum versions though, the silver are pants.
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 11:53   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 76
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raymarine...UAAOSwTnpfoDDg

Not one of mine ( I have a hobby of repairing old chartplotters ) but looks in decent nick. The guy also takes offers too. You will need a mount or to make a mount but a transom hung transducer is usually around £80 so factor that in
Many thanks. I am grateful. However, I can get a new Lowrance with a 5 inch screen and a transducer from cactus, delivered for under £300. With the warranty, its hard to refuse.
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 15:27   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 76
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Garmin now own Navionics, afaik a software update will allow newer Garmin units to use Navionics, check before you buy though. Lowrance are good & tend to give more bang for your buck compared to Garmin. If youíre not in a rush (and why would you be?) you might start seeing Garmin units bundled with Navionics charts. You need the Gold or Platinum versions though, the silver are pants.
I am grateful Dave. Good advice, as always
I will speak with cactus and Force 4 and see what the score is with Garmin and Navionics. As you say, Lowrance give you more bangs for your buck. But I've always used Garmin on my motorbikes and I do like them. Decisions, decisions

Thank you everyone for your kind help and advice
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 15:58   #19
Member
 
craig_c's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverkip
Boat name: Crusader
Make: Redbay 8.4 Exped
Length: 8m +
Engine: yamaha sterndrive
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 725
RIBase
warranty is definately worth it! for the vintage stuff the raymarine plotters are hard to beat. however a warranty and modern software is epic
__________________

__________________
2006 Redbay 8.4 Expedition "Crusader"
craig_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.