Old 13 March 2014, 15:04   #1

Town: Christchurch
Boat name: Sha-my-sha-my
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Expired VHF licence?

I've discovered that my VHF license expired some time ago. It seems operators' licences no longer expire. Are the old ones tranferrable? Or do I need to spend another dull day at the training centre?

Thanks
Old 13 March 2014, 17:32   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanng View Post
I've discovered that my VHF license expired some time ago. It seems operators' licences no longer expire. Are the old ones tranferrable? Or do I need to spend another dull day at the training centre?

Thanks
Not sure what you mean. The operators certificate, does not as such expire, even if you have the original non DSC version it is still valid, just that you should not be using the DSC facility.

The ships radio licence did until a few years ago, have to renewed annually, this has now changed as well and is valid for up to 10 years.

If you hold the old non DSC operators certificate it can be upgraded to the DSC version by doing the exam direct with an RYA training centre. This now costs £60 just for the exam and issue of the upgraded certificate by the RYA. You don't have to spend a day in the classroom any more either, it can be done online.

You can see more here. GMDSS Certificate (VHF Operators License) - 5 Star Marine