Old 01 November 2020, 09:17   #1

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Evinrude Etec + iCommand gauges + Lowrance HDS7

Hey,

I'm hoping to pair my HDS7 unit with my iCommand gauges. I have NMEA set up, with 4 cables in the circuit... There's such an abundance of information around, I don't know what I need to actually make this work. Can someone simplify please?

cheers,

Si
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2020, 09:55   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
Hey,

I'm hoping to pair my HDS7 unit with my iCommand gauges. I have NMEA set up, with 4 cables in the circuit... There's such an abundance of information around, I don't know what I need to actually make this work. Can someone simplify please?

cheers,

Si

Good news, the Etec/lowrance combination is “usually” the easiest to setup. Assuming you already have a functional NMEA 2000 network on your boat, all you need is a drop cable & a network T. Just add the HDS to the network as you would any other gauge or device. Once it’s all powered up (you will need the engine ignition switched on, but not necessary to have the engine running) go into the HDS & configure the engine data screens. There’s loads of info that you can display, so choose carefully.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2020, 09:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Good news, the Etec/lowrance combination is “usually” the easiest to setup. Assuming you already have a functional NMEA 2000 network on your boat, all you need is a drop cable & a network T. Just add the HDS to the network as you would any other gauge or device. Once it’s all powered up (you will need the engine ignition switched on, but not necessary to have the engine running) go into the HDS & configure the engine data screens. There’s loads of info that you can display, so choose carefully.
sounds promising... so just any generic lowrance NMEA 2000 cable and an additional T?
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
Old 01 November 2020, 11:44   #4

RIBase
Quote:
sounds promising... so just any generic lowrance NMEA 2000 cable and an additional T?

Yup! In theory at least. There should be a standard NMEA2000 port on the back of the unit. Just plug a short drop cable into this & add the unit to the network with a T, et voila.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 01 November 2020, 11:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Yup! In theory at least. There should be a standard NMEA2000 port on the back of the unit. Just plug a short drop cable into this & add the unit to the network with a T, et voila.
cool, this sounds too good to be true!

thanks,

Si
Old 01 November 2020, 12:19   #6

RIBase
Quote:
cool, this sounds too good to be true!

thanks,

Si

It should be, Lowrance & OMC (the previous owners of Evinrude) virtually invented NMEA2000 between them.
Old 03 July 2021, 13:41   #7

Just an update in case someone comes across this thread in future and wonders if it worked... it worked! An additional T and a drop cable, and all my data is available from my engine on the GPS now.

thanks for the info!

Si
Old 03 July 2021, 17:40   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Just an update in case someone comes across this thread in future and wonders if it worked... it worked! An additional T and a drop cable, and all my data is available from my engine on the GPS now.

thanks for the info!

Si

Glad you’re sorted[emoji106]

Tags
evinrude