RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchidad View Post
Thanks for the thought, Matt, but to be honest, I'm so fed up with the Raymarine that I'm thinking of getting a really basic VHF and not bothering with any of the fancy features. The Garmin does look a nice bit of kit though. David
But if you have a fundamental wiring issue or the aerial/cable is coupling in to the trim tab electronics in some way then your basic radio may be just as likely to cause the problem.
Old 27 October 2010, 22:29   #22

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Thanks for the thought, Matt, but to be honest, I'm so fed up with the Raymarine that I'm thinking of getting a really basic VHF and not bothering with any of the fancy features. The Garmin does look a nice bit of kit though. David
Is the Raymarine not in warranty still

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2010, 22:40   #23

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Also when it comes to a good rib VHF I have tried both icom 411 and Standard Horizon 1500e. The Standard Horizon IMO is the better option, big channel changing dial and not buttons, simple to use and good quality speaker (better than the icom) also cheaper with no extra charges for a bulkhead mounting kit.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2010, 07:01   #24

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Thanks for the thought, Matt, but to be honest, I'm so fed up with the Raymarine that I'm thinking of getting a really basic VHF and not bothering with any of the fancy features.
Matt's 300i has the advantage of taking up the same or similar holes as your current radio. Whichever route you decide on I would be very happy to do the installation for your and check each wire and connection in the process.

Edit: Just to add to the which radio is better discussion... Like Martini I have had a number of boats and radio combinations over the years and one relevant anecdote concerns a non-DSC (ie very old) Icom that I swapped about from one boat to another, to shore installations, back to boats and so on. It never once let me down and at one point was even leant to a training organisation for a proper round of abuse!

I have a similar fondness for Pacific antennae, which I also consider sturdy enough to pass on as heir looms.
Old 28 October 2010, 07:59   #25

Town: Middlesex
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey
Length: 7m +
Engine: Etec 250 HO
MMSI: 235905932
Martin. Thanks for the offer - I may well take you up on it. However, despite what I say, I've probably got to persevere with the Raymarine a bit longer. I've actually got two complete radio installations - one fully repaired theoretically by Raymarine and one brand new handset in warranty and one unused, but out of warranty, base unit. The base units are both US sourced so no ATIS possible which is an issue for French waterways that I cannot resolve without getting a new one. But, more importantly, while I can see that the Raymarine could be a really nice radio if it was working, I just don't think it's durable enough for a RIB. I reckon it's much more suitable for the Sunseeker I aspire to when Gotchiguy's driving finally takes its toll on my back!