Old 06 August 2020, 07:54   #1

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp suzuki
Electric cable connectors

Just interested what people use and what you think of these solder sleeve ones?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	134512Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1489.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	134513
Old 06 August 2020, 11:29   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski View Post
Just interested what people use and what you think of these solder sleeve ones?

Attachment 134512Attachment 134513

I’ve tried those & just can’t get on with them. The plastic always seems to melt before the solder. I prefer to use the adhesive lined heatshrink crimps.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2020, 17:59   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I’ve tried those & just can’t get on with them. The plastic always seems to melt before the solder. I prefer to use the adhesive lined heatshrink crimps.

Every time Dave

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2020, 19:13   #4

Town: South West
Make: Zapcat
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 tohatsu
If you get good quality items they are pretty decent and work well. The crimp heat shrink connectors are decent too as said.

Some people prefer solder, some prefer crimp! In reality, probably not much in it.
Old 06 August 2020, 20:04   #5

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
I just can’t really see any advantage over using these compared to a decent adhesive heatshrink lined crimp.

I can see lots of disadvantages though...
Old 06 August 2020, 20:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allye View Post
If you get good quality items they are pretty decent and work well. The crimp heat shrink connectors are decent too as said.

Some people prefer solder, some prefer crimp! In reality, probably not much in it.
You don’t see any outboard engine manufacturers or car manufacturers for that matter soldering wires together...
Old 06 August 2020, 20:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
You don’t see any outboard engine manufacturers or car manufacturers for that matter soldering wires together...
I’ve seen plenty of OE looms with solder. I will not disagree a good quality crimp is better, however I’d argue a lot of crimps are done sub standard without the correct tools.
Old 06 August 2020, 20:50   #8

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Arancia crimps and solders knock the socks off anything anybody else can do...apparently.

Whilst I'm not really an Allye fanboy, I would agree that a decent crimping tool is a worthwhile investment.
Old 06 August 2020, 22:16   #9

Quote:
I’ve seen plenty of OE looms with solder. I will not disagree a good quality crimp is better, however I’d argue a lot of crimps are done sub standard without the correct tools.
I don’t think any manufacturer would solder crimps or terminals onto a wire? Maybe occasionally a wire soldered onto a PCB.
Old 06 August 2020, 22:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
I would agree that a decent crimping tool is a worthwhile investment.
It’s more the crimps themselves that are shite. Either use a heatshrink crimp or a double crimp that looks like this inside:

99.9% of the insulated crimps that don’t have a see through cover are vinyl shite and should go straight in the bin. AMP PIDG crimps or Molex etc equivalents are the only ones worth using.
Old 06 August 2020, 22:26   #11

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
[QUOTE=Allye;818383]I’ve seen plenty of OE looms with solder. I will not disagree a good quality crimp is better, however I’d argue a lot of crimps are done sub standard without the correct tools.[/QUO

As said good crimping is an art that few have mastered ! in the late eighties i was a sales manager for amp ,we made our commision from rescueing disasters from bad crimping ,the amount of 1mm wire you saw in blue crimps was disbelief , in my first apprenticeship building control systems for offshore ,inline crimps were totally barred and close to a sacking offence ,getting two crimping actions correct together was seen as two potential failure points ,when on the road we collected crimping tools on a regular basis from brit rail and boeing ,to be sent back for spring calibration believe it or not .
Even today to make a good joint i would solder the wires together in an inline fashion ,put over a hellerman rubber sleeve and then ove all with a glue lined heatshrink ,and maybe even a second heatshrink over a bundle of wires ,this is mainly because the tyco (was amp ) heat shrinkable butt splices are too expensive ,even to this day and i have yet to find a better way
Old 06 August 2020, 22:28   #12

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
It’s more the crimps themselves that are shite. Either use a heatshrink crimp or a double crimp that looks like this inside:

99.9% of the insulated crimps that don’t have a see through cover are vinyl shite and should go straight in the bin. AMP PIDG crimps or Molex etc equivalents are the only ones worth using.
Old 07 August 2020, 07:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
Arancia crimps and solders knock the socks off anything anybody else can do...apparently.

Whilst I'm not really an Allye fanboy, I would agree that a decent crimping tool is a worthwhile investment.
triggered hard
Old 07 August 2020, 07:24   #14

[QUOTE=Orwell boy;818391]
Quote:
I’ve seen plenty of OE looms with solder. I will not disagree a good quality crimp is better, however I’d argue a lot of crimps are done sub standard without the correct tools.[/QUO

As said good crimping is an art that few have mastered ! in the late eighties i was a sales manager for amp ,we made our commision from rescueing disasters from bad crimping ,the amount of 1mm wire you saw in blue crimps was disbelief , in my first apprenticeship building control systems for offshore ,inline crimps were totally barred and close to a sacking offence ,getting two crimping actions correct together was seen as two potential failure points ,when on the road we collected crimping tools on a regular basis from brit rail and boeing ,to be sent back for spring calibration believe it or not .
Even today to make a good joint i would solder the wires together in an inline fashion ,put over a hellerman rubber sleeve and then ove all with a glue lined heatshrink ,and maybe even a second heatshrink over a bundle of wires ,this is mainly because the tyco (was amp ) heat shrinkable butt splices are too expensive ,even to this day and i have yet to find a better way
The old man worked for AMP then tyco for decades, injection moulding though. - on anirrelevant side note.
Old 07 August 2020, 09:15   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Just as an aside to the conversation. My expensive ratchet crimping pliers don’t fit the heatshrink crimps supplied by both Kojaycat & 12V planet, although I suspect both come from the same factory. So I’ve had to buy some of the cheapo non ratchet type, much favoured by the boy racers of my youth. The heatshrink insulation is thicker than normal & the crimping pliers damage it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote