Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Electrics and electronics
Click Here to Login

Old 09 September 2011, 11:01   #1

Town: Hampshire
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25hp Outboard
Echopilot Bronze+ Trio - Good bit of kit!

Just a quick post to say I installed an Echopilot Bronze + trio display and Airmar P32 speed log and depth transduceron my boat. A good combination it turns out. The Bronze + Trio is excellent, it takes the speed and depth from the log but also takes lots of information from my Garmin GPS over the NMEA0183 input. Good technical support from Echopilot as well, regarding speed log calibration. Well done Echopilot!

By the way, if anyone wants to use the proper connector for an Airmar P32 transducer, rather than cutting it off and wiring directly, I found the matching connector. It is made by a company called Conxall and used to be available from the Farnell website. If you need the details let me know and I will look up the part number.
Old 06 January 2012, 20:04   #2

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Bobalong

I am about to buy an Echopilot. Does it do temp? Can you get both the speed of the GPS and the transducer? Also do you have the partnumber from Farnell. I was probably going to put a P23 which does not do speed.

Nick
Old 07 January 2012, 16:25   #3

The Bronze + Trio has the following inputs:

Speed log input
Echo sounder input (coaxial cable)
NMEA 0183 (e.g. for GPS data input)
It does not have a water temperature input.

It can also send NMEA 0183 data.

The speed log, NMEA IN and NMEA OUT connections are all in a single mini-DIN plug which is supplied with the unit, with a cable tail ready for you to wire up. Wiring diagrams are in the user manual.

I used an old Garmin GPS III to send NMEA 0183 data to the Echopilot display, it worked fine. The Echopilot showed GPS time, the name of the selected waypoint, the distance to go, course, track, xtrk, speed and the bearing to the waypoint. You could also select a page on the Echopilot to display the raw lat/long position. I found it easy to set up and use with my GPS - it was plug and play really.

The speed log interface was a bit more complex and needed calibration, but that was fairly easy, Depth sounder just needed the sounder frequency to be set (200kHz for the P32 I used).

I found the speed log was not particularly linear on my boat, compared to the GPS speed anyway. In the end I calibrated the log for planing speeds and lived with the fact it over-read at displacement speeds.

If you have a look online, or contact echopilot direct, you should be able to find some screen shots for the Bronze + Trio Display.

Re the connector, I will have to find the number for you. It was made by Conxall but I cannot remember the part number.
Old 16 January 2012, 18:42   #4

Web Links for Conxall Connectors

Have a look at these. Don't know if Farnell still stock them, but at least you will have the part details.

uk.farnell.com/conxall/8282-6pg-3xx/connector-in-line-male-6way/dp/1426127

uk.farnell.com/conxall/7282-6pg-300/connector-panel-male-6way/dp/1426079
Old 20 January 2012, 20:28   #5

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Echopilot and Evermore SA230

Bobalong

Thanks for the ino. I have got my trio up and running with a Evermore GPS receiver. Just need to get the plug and link in the P23 transducer. I could cut the plug off bit it seams a shame.

Thanks for your help

Nick