Old 04 March 2011, 13:47   #1

Length: 7m +
Depth Sounders

Hull mounted depth sounders, the pain of my life, mine is getting worse, doesnot show depth at anything above about 10 knots. Any advice on angles or anything else that might help without resulting in getting a through hull sounder. ? Particularly interested in hearing from any Cobra owners with boats around 2005/2006 which will probably have the same type of sounder.
Old 04 March 2011, 15:38   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Hull mounted depth sounders, the pain of my life, mine is getting worse, doesnot show depth at anything above about 10 knots. Any advice on angles or anything else that might help without resulting in getting a through hull sounder. ? Particularly interested in hearing from any Cobra owners with boats around 2005/2006 which will probably have the same type of sounder.
Might help if you say what type you've got to begin with.

I assume you're talking about a through-hull transducer. If it used to work and doesn't any more, it will most likely be a failing bond between whatever medium the ducer is mounted in and either the transducer face itself or the hull; a lack of that medium (in the case of an oil pool); or a failing transducer. Worst case, I guess, would be a delaminating hull.

The fact that it works at all makes it sound like the electronics are OK, but something is preventing either clean transmission or reception of the sound signal.

jky
Old 04 March 2011, 16:22   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
take the hull mounted transducer off the transom if thats what you have. Place in drain well at back of boat and wedge it upright(ish). Launch boat, throw a bucket of water in drain well and see if it works. As long as its covered in water and there is only one layer of fibreglass and its reasonably devoid of air pockets it will work. If indeed it does dry drain well thoroughly and stick transducer down with thin layer of cheap clear silicon squashing air bubbles out. Doesnt need to be a special thru hull transducer. Our cheap as chips eagle cudas/skimmer transducers have all worked just fine like that up to wot with no probs at all.
Old 04 March 2011, 20:16   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Sorry; Thought you *had* a shoot-through.

For transom mount, I find the best position (on my boat) is with the center of the "pod" a touch above the hull line (like 1/16 to 1/8 inch), and the transducer just a touch angled downward. Others I know run them a bit deeper, but that's what works on my boat.

If you've got a fiberglass hull and good access, Boris' suggestion may work well for you. You can fix in place with epoxy or silicone sealant (making a little cup to contain the stuff while it cures is probably a good idea.)

jky