Click Here to Login

Old 15 October 2017, 22:09   #21
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
DeLorme inReach or ACR ResQLink for rescue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee1 View Post
I don't need a licence for a personal PLB do I? I thought they just needed registration. Plus they are not just marine use now they have been approved for UK land use so the days of UK marine use only has gone. (A lot of survival, mountaineering, hikers etc... have them now, there was debate to also allow channel 16 for land rescue calling use but I think that's still pending trials)
Re GMDSS is not really a solution for a sib as its mainly for commercial use?

You don't need an operators license for a VHF no, although your other posts imply you have or are about to have a DSC VHF so should have one. Your questions imply you don't really understand how the whole lot works - and as well as covering the mechanics of distress calling the vhf course covers the whole range of tech. If you are going to think about this as much as you seem to be the course would be useful.
Old 15 October 2017, 22:20   #22

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
You don't need an operators license for a VHF no, although your other posts imply you have or are about to have a DSC VHF so should have one. Your questions imply you don't really understand how the whole lot works - and as well as covering the mechanics of distress calling the vhf course covers the whole range of tech. If you are going to think about this as much as you seem to be the course would be useful.
Poly you must mean I don't need a licence for the PLB yes? As any marine vhf transceiver user needs at least a marine ofcom SRC

I never moved on to the digital age regarding marine radios (for my use that's. handheld transcievers) when it all came out but now I'm no longer a champion cross channel swimmer I'm looking for a more up to date way of getting help if needed as although my ability to get myself out of trouble physically isn't what it use to be my desire to adventure grows evermore stronger lol
Old 15 October 2017, 22:24   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Yes, sorry it's been a long weekend! PLB no operators very needed. VHF should have operators certificate, but the course covers more than just vhf.
Old 16 October 2017, 18:46   #24

Town: South East
Make: Waveline V SIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 25hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Yes, sorry it's been a long weekend! PLB no operators very needed. VHF should have operators certificate, but the course covers more than just vhf.
I'm still not sure how to update my communication options for the next season, I'm leaning towards a new standard no frills handheld VHF buoyant with the option of a AA/AAA battery tray and if the model I pick does not have a AA/AAA battery option I could always carry a spare secondary battery pack and to accompany the VHF a pocket PLB.
Old 27 November 2017, 08:13   #25

With inreach you can fire off a distress signal with a single button but also follow it up with more details by text if you want, e.g. Number of people on board, vessel details etc.

I use both, I carry a couple of PLBs, one in my lifejacket and one in my grab bag, and an inreach I use for keeping in touch whilst offshore. It's a great piece of kit for that and another means of raising the alarm if needed but if I could only have one for distress I'd go for a PLB.