Old 20 March 2008, 00:23   #1

Make: XS // Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: 60hp // 2x90hp
Combined GPS/sounder

I'm looking at getting a combined GPS/Sounder for our new rib, and ive looked through some previous threads, and noticed the Garmin 550 mentioned.

Does anyone have any experiene with this unit, or a recommendation for a different unit?

It's for our new 5m XS which comes with a small console, so will be externally mounted rather than flush so the more compact the better, and while im not looking for the cheapest model out there that might break, i need a reliable but not expensive option
Old 20 March 2008, 08:30   #2

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
It's a good unit. Although some don't like the menu system, like all things it depends what you're used to. The sounder system is built in, so there's not an extra sonar module to buy. Just need to add a suitable transducer. The transom mount one can be in-hull mounted as well.

Make sure you get the 550S model - you can;t add a transducer to the standard 550.

There's been some recent software updates which may not be on stock units, so you should install those as well. Easiest is to ask your supplier for a loan SD card with it loaded on, as otherwise you'll need a Garmin card unit.

The 555S model is the same but offers 4x resolution. As to whether the price difference is worth it . . . ?
Old 21 March 2008, 12:12   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gingernut
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 65
I'm currently on the same search and considering the Standard Horizon Cp180i as that has the integrated aerial, but then i would need to get the sounder unit separately. Hmmm, so many choices!!!

Jimmy
Old 21 March 2008, 15:37   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCC View Post
Although some don't like the menu system, like all things it depends what you're used to.
I moved from a Garmin GPS to Lowrance. I know folks who have moved from Magellan to other units, and one who moved from Lowrance to Garmin. Everybody seems to get used to the first menu system they use, and absolutely hate the new menu system on the new unit. They muddle through, though, at least, in all but one case.

jky
Old 22 March 2008, 10:58   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Gingernut
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 65
Now found the Garmin 550S for £430 which seems quite competitive. Do you think I'm better waiting for the Beauliue Boat jumble, or snap it up before the season really kicks off?

Speaking of which (just to hijack the thread) is £325 too dear for a full Baystar hydraulic steering system?