Old 07 December 2011, 00:26   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
Changes to Mayday call

From April this year the Mayday call procedure has changed. You are now required to say both your MMSI number and your call sign twice. Most find it difficult to remember all the elements so you can download a copy of the new call procedure in A5 format. Better to know that not to know!

VHF Radio Course | VHF Operators Licence | Southampton | Hampshire
Old 07 December 2011, 06:08   #2

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Archangel
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: ETec 225
MMSI: 235063789
That seems to be asking a lot of the caller; I doubt I would remain suffiently composed for such a detailed over.
Old 07 December 2011, 06:52   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Presuming you have DSC and therfore an MMSI number that is...

I did the VHF course a year ago and I'm sure we were told to quote the MMSI then.
Old 07 December 2011, 07:17   #4

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
If I ever need to make a mayday call the only important thing to me will be my position and happy to get a good ticking off afterwards for using the wrong practice.
Old 07 December 2011, 07:24   #5

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Presuming you have DSC and therfore an MMSI number that is...

I did the VHF course a year ago and I'm sure we were told to quote the MMSI then.
If you dont have a MMSI then quote your International Call sign it comes with your licence .
If you do have a MMSI you now insert your International Call sign as well as your MMSI .

Tim
Old 07 December 2011, 09:04   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ0KYZ View Post
That seems to be asking a lot of the caller; I doubt I would remain suffiently composed for such a detailed over.
As it happens I agree with you, but that is not the point. It is why I I produced the card. I suggest you download it (or make up your own version) and laminate it to put on the console or by the radio. All those who do a VHF course with us get a laminated card copy and are encouraged to fill in their details. It is much easier when in a stress situation of you can simply read something that is right by the radio and know the details are correct and what the right format should be.

The MCA produce a version that is on sticky backed paper, but in my experience the stuff comes away after a while and also the Mayday call itself is very small and when the proverbial hits the fan, trying to read small wording is not ideal in my opinion. I can do the call without reference, but that is only because I teach it.

I ran this passed a senior radio instructor - one who actually teaches the VHF instructor courses for the MCA/RYA - and he said it was much better than the MCA version.

I don't expect anybody to be able to remember the correct call protocol after the course or for that matter in it, so having something that ca ease the stress is worthwhile and you hope you never have to use it. Same as yiu hope the only time you ever hit the red button (if you have a DSC set!) is during your course.
Old 07 December 2011, 10:07   #7

Ive printed my MMSI Number and Call Sign onto a sticky label strip and stuck it onto my console, as I would not remember them in an emergency.
Old 07 December 2011, 10:42   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Ive printed my MMSI Number and Call Sign onto a sticky label strip and stuck it onto my console, as I would not remember them in an emergency.
I have done the same, but I'm having laminated cards printed which will go on the console. The old MCA one is a) now out of date and b) all faded due to wind, rain and sun!

Every student who does a course with me will get a copy to take away as part of the course.
Old 07 December 2011, 11:54   #9

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger View Post
The old MCA one is now out of date
As are most of the books on the subject .

Its a good idea to have laminated copies of the following calls
Mayday
Pan Pan
Mayday Relay
Safety
In your Navbag or to hand so that , if a worse case scenario occurs then you or your crew can make the appropriate call.
Something we and I am sure other schools do.
Tim
Old 07 December 2011, 15:10   #10

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If you've got a DSC capable VHF (and an MMSI number to go along with it), why not just hit the distress button and save yourself a couple of minutes of trying to speak everything clearly into the mic? Responders will contact you on the working channel, they'll have your MMSI, vessel name and registration info (and position, if connected to the GPS), and you can get on with dealing with the emergency at hand.

Or am I missing something in the discussion?

jky
Old 07 December 2011, 15:41   #11
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
The red button is digital only! why restrict yourself to DSC equipped vessels , they could be a boat with handheld VHF 2 mins away....

But press the Red button is a good start, followed up with voice call to re enforce the message and for non-DSC vessels...

if you get it wrong, the Coastguard will guide you through any thing you missed...

Proper voice procedures ensure, message is understood by a non-English speaker.

once our local station closes - I will need to deal with aberdeen coasties - where English is second language!

Fit likely Min, over!

S.
Old 07 December 2011, 16:44   #12

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger View Post
From April this year the Mayday call procedure has changed. You are now required to say both your MMSI number and your call sign twice. Most find it difficult to remember all the elements so you can download a copy of the new call procedure in A5 format. Better to know that not to know!

VHF Radio Course | VHF Operators Licence | Southampton | Hampshire
Solent Ranger - Thanks for the crib sheet. I am going to laminate it and fix it next to our radio.
Old 07 December 2011, 17:11   #13

Town: Oban (mostly)
Make: Ribcraft, Humber,BWM
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboards
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaSkills
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If I ever need to make a mayday call the only important thing to me will be my position and happy to get a good ticking off afterwards for using the wrong practice.
Sorry, but that's just sloppy.

If you're ever in a position when you need to make a Mayday call (ie grave and imminent danger), I suggest you should do everything you can to help people rescue you.

It isn't hard. There is plenty of good advice coming out of this thread. If your life is at stake (and the lives of other people who are out in the boat with you) - why wouldn't you want to give them the best chance of survival?
Tel; 07525 012 013
SeaSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2011, 17:34   #14

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSkills View Post
Sorry, but that's just sloppy.

If you're ever in a position when you need to make a Mayday call (ie grave and imminent danger), I suggest you should do everything you can to help people rescue you.

It isn't hard. There is plenty of good advice coming out of this thread. If your life is at stake (and the lives of other people who are out in the boat with you) - why wouldn't you want to give them the best chance of survival?
You are getting this backwards. The most important element to summon help by any means possible as the ship is on fire or sinking. (Otherwise it should have been a Pan-pan)

The MMSI is gravy. Nice to add if you can in ideal circumstances but in many cases not likely to add much to the efforts to find and extract you and your passengers. The MMSI is a string of numbers which could with iffy communications be misunderstood as position information. When in doubt Lat/long takes precedence over MMSI.

In this country our own Coast Guard only got universal digital capacity in the past couple years. In many countries it doesn't yet exist on the ground. So emphasizing the MMSI is misplaced IMHO. I would also add that most recreational vessels in this country don't even have call signs either. The requirement to get one for domestic voyages was relaxed many years ago.
Old 07 December 2011, 17:48   #15

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Ok so mayday is ONLY for fire or sinking!! I think NOT sorry but you are very wrong there
Old 07 December 2011, 18:48   #16

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I also have an engraved plastic lable stuck to my consol right underneath my VHF

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2011, 18:53   #17

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
There is a very good pre-preparedMayday/Pan Pan sticker that can be completed with the vessel information, inside the Safety at Sea booklet, which can normally be picked up for free at Chandlers, RNLI stations and boat clubs.
It is best to laminate it to help it last
Old 07 December 2011, 18:54   #18

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I would do an immediate mayday for MOB with the current sea temperature if on my sailing yacht BEFORE going back to pick up the casualty. If on a rib where recovery from the water is easier I would still consider issuing the mayday call.

Mayday is not just for sinking or fire.
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 December 2011, 20:00   #19

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
Solent Ranger - Thanks for the crib sheet. I am going to laminate it and fix it next to our radio.
Thanks for the comment, if you wait a bit I'm having the pdf adapted so you can type in your own details and then laminate it. This follows requests from some other people. I'll advise when it is up and running.
Old 07 December 2011, 20:14   #20

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Nope

MOB is not necessarily a Mayday as there is no presumption of "grave and imminent danger". It might be, but fire, explosion, or sinking are de facto mayday calls. These are listed as examples in the radio rules.

Pan Pan is used for urgency which MOB clearly is, even if it may or may not be grave and imminently dangerous. Pan Pan examples cited in radio rules include medical emergencies and such. MOB would be more typically characterized in this category, although sometimes a Mayday when you can't get them aboard or they are out of sight. Remember a Pan Pan is an urgent call for assistance afterall too.

I have a "MOB" every time I go out since 99% of the time we're going scuba diving.