Old 25 June 2003, 09:50   #1

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Bilge Pumps

I seem scrap a lot of Bilge pumps both Auto and Manual, mostly made by Rule. does any body have any view on good or bad makes of pumps.

We do clean the filters and stuff, I am trying a new make called Pirranna at themoment which seem quite well made.

Does anybody know of a a good float switch.
Old 25 June 2003, 15:03   #2

Town: Ireland
Boat name: Ally Cat
Make: Several
Length: 6m +
Engine: Several
We have Rule pumps fitted to most of our boats.

Reliable , efficient, easy to maintain and clean.

Reasonably priced.

Not something we shout about in the pub but now that I think about it ... Yes we like them !!

Best wishes,

Stuart
Powerboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2003, 18:14   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
What type of float switch are you after? how are you mounting it? Rule do their own ,about £15 I think or you could go for an industrial one ,horizontally or vertically mounted, which would last indefinately. Then there is the type that is tethered to the pump by its cable. I'm not sure if I have ever used one small enough for a RIB though.
regards
Jizm

Horizontal type:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	horflt.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	2449  
Old 01 July 2003, 18:15   #4

Or vertical type:
Attached Images

Old 01 July 2003, 18:17   #5

Or free floating type: (quite large though).
Attached Images

Old 01 July 2003, 18:35   #6

Town: no
Boat name: no
Make: no
Length: no boat
Engine: no
MMSI: no
Where can I get these from?
Old 01 July 2003, 18:50   #7

Which type are you after? I may have the horizontal type in stock. RS components in Hedge End supply all three.
Old 01 July 2003, 19:48   #8

Town: Poole
Dear bilge pump sperts

After the float has dropped to a level where is cuts the pump out should the contents of the pipe which hasn’t been expelled out of the boat return into the bilge or should there be a non-return valve in the pump to stop this happening.

After shutting off I have noticed that my Johnson pump returns the water back into the bilge. The amount of water is not enough to kick the pump in, but this gets on my nerves, as I really want the engine bay to be dry.

As to why the water is in there in the first place is still under investigation.

Cheers

Mark
Old 01 July 2003, 20:11   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Mark
I had this problem with my Avon.
You do need a non-return valve, positioned next to the pump itself, on the "out" pipe.
That fixed it.

Water also ALWAYS used to enter between the two hulls, despite initially there being "absolutely no way it could get in". But it did. Loads of it. And of course the only way to drain it was to lift the boat out of the water, tip it up, and take out the 4 inch long, high quality, hugely expensive, brass ("this will definatley not leak water into your boat, sir") bung.
So eventually I had one pump on a float switch operating in the inter-hull gap and another sitting at the lowest point in the outboard engine well at the stern. Both pumps wired to be permanently live.
Worked beautifully that. Until one day some seaweed got caught in the float switch, jamming it permanently open and burned the pump out before draining the battery.
Ho Hum.
Old 01 July 2003, 20:29   #10

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225 optimax
bbilge pumps

I dont like the idea of pumps as they are permanetly connected to the battery,you might think just because the pump is off this dosent matter much, however before we fitted battery switches to the boat we had serious electrolisis taking place at the anodes .Bear in mind this is with everything off, there are often times when fumbiling around in the console with wet hands especially if you have cuts you can touch off things and due to moisture etc etc get shocked from the 12 volt system, its not a shock but a tingle.But more importantly it shows that with stuff switched off you can, in damp conditions get stray current flow or Leakage.This leakage is deadly when it comes to electrolisis as it excells it.Pumps which often submerge in water and have water flowing tro their casings are bound to suffer from electricial leakage, especially pumps as they are often in damp bilges or partially covered in water until the float mechasim switches.I feel that fitting pumps permanetly wired to your rib is dangerous as it is an electricial load which may stick on, or worse, potentially leaks electrically and apart from running a battery down in a fault situation, is in damp conditions potentially leaking current is causing increased electrolisis .My work takes me to domestic houses ,schools, offices etc and you would not believe the amount of leaks from equipment leaking current considered normal in bone dry conditions.I am talking miliamps here but thats all that is needed to electroplate for instance never mind electrical corrision which is a huge problem on boats.i would steer clear of auto wired pumps

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2003, 20:36   #11

Try a simple check valve from B&Q for a cheap option. All brass construction, easy to fit to 1/2" hose, simple flap inside which opens or closes according to water pressure. The uppermost one in the picture is also easily servicable.
regards
Jizm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chkvlv.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2452  
Old 01 July 2003, 20:45   #12

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Worked beautifully that. Until one day some seaweed got caught in the float switch, jamming it permanently open and burned the pump out before draining the battery.
Ho Hum.
Yup, we're talking about boats.

Now, I've only had my RIB for, oooh about three days now, but I've looked after a hard boat for a few years and come to the conclusion that sod's law, or Murphy's law, always applies to boats.

I reckon that local conditions apply to these sort of things, so if your area is prone to weed, then contamination is your enemy. But I also have resigned myself to the fact that batteries WILL run flat, and electric motors WILL burn out...

Anyway, the hard boat never sank, so now that I've got a RIB to look after, is should be easier shouldn't it? with those tubes either side... (yeah, something's bound to go wrong!)
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2003, 22:12   #13
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Gavin
Appreciate your professional expertise and would not challenge it in any way.

Let me ask the question and tell me what you would do.

Problem: Boat permanently on marina mooring. Rain falls on boat (marina sometimes seriously stormy as well in winter) and whichever way you cover it, water will get in to both the deck area and into the inner hull. You are away for several weeks at a time. How do you stop boat filling up with water and maybe flooding badly?

I thought I had the answer and until you pointed out the seriousness of my solution, I was prepared to accept what I thought was a minimal risk. Was I wrong to make so light of it?
Old 02 July 2003, 10:49   #14

Town: Edenbridge
Boat name: Scorpion
Make: Scorpion 8.5mtr
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315hp Yanmar Diesel
Richard New Boat

Morning Richard

Are my eyes deceiving me or have you bought Alans old Scorpion. If you have congratulations. Where are you keeping her then. ??? You should bring her to Deauville on 18th July with us all.

Julian
Old 02 July 2003, 11:18   #15
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Julian
Are you trying to tell Richard something about Blue Ices bilge pumps here? Something he doesn't know perhaps?
Old 02 July 2003, 11:23   #16

Town: Newfoundland
oi!

Blue Ice's bilge pump works perfectly I'll have you know!
Or at least it did last weekend
Old 02 July 2003, 13:07   #17

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Yes - bilge pump was still working on Sunday evening (I did a quick test with a bucket full of water into the well!)

Juian - yes, completed the deal with Alan at the weekend. Picture posted in the gallery section.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 July 2003, 14:10   #18

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Jizm
Try a simple check valve from B&Q for a cheap option. All brass construction, easy to fit to 1/2" hose, simple flap inside which opens or closes according to water pressure. The uppermost one in the picture is also easily servicable.
regards
Jizm
Whilst your there you could also pick up a consumer unit and fit a ring main to your rib. Alternatively, you could pop into Aquafax in the hamble, and purchase a Non return valve, designed for the purpose.

Part no 9-42149
Old 02 July 2003, 15:17   #19

Town: Poole
Cheers Diggers

I wasn't sure if the pump was at fault or whether this was a common issue. I’ll give Aquafax a call and get some valves.

The consumer unit was a bugger to fit but with the RCD on all sockets I feel much safer. My next DIY plan is to fit guttering around the tubes to improve the dryness of the boat.

Thanks again

Mark
Old 02 July 2003, 18:03   #20

Reccomend one of these for a cabin, comes with toughened perspex windows and everthing!!!
I think this thread is de-generating!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	holly_cottage.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	2468