Old 14 December 2004, 19:37   #1

Town: IoW
Make: HysuCat 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 70 2s
bilge pump wireing

hi all,
as some of you may know i have been avidly searching for a small rib, and have finaly bought a 4m searider. i have started to referbish, and now am going to fit a bilge pump. problem is, that the rule 360gph that i have bought only has 3foot of cable. obviously this wont be longenough to get from the transom, to the console, so i will need to join the cable. how should this be done. would heat shrink tube be good enough to keep the water out, or is there anyway to put a longer lead onto the pump?
Old 14 December 2004, 19:49   #2

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
I had the same problem with my last boat using a Rule 360. I joined the wires with crimps. Then I put plenty of Sikaflex all over the crimps and any exposed wire. Wrapped plenty of self-amalgamating tape around this and finally some heat shrink to tidy it up.

Overkill I know but it's still working perfectly today even after being left on a mooring submerged for nearly 4 wks when I was on holiday last yr.
Old 14 December 2004, 19:53   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
I don't think it is overkill , I think that's how you keep a cable joint watertight.

Another way to do it is to mount an IP56 bx on the transommake your join inside the boat and fill that full of silicone. Then put the lid on
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2004, 23:52   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
You can use silicon tubing. This pic is just a short bit covering a joint which is sealed under deck. If it is to be above deck, take care to be neat and make both ends equally long and it will be 100% watertight...guaranteed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silicon tube.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	9652  
Old 15 December 2004, 06:19   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Is that silicone stuff the same as Helermans sleeving
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2004, 07:29   #6

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
These are the boyos for that job.... Duraseal.. also available from Vehicle Wiring Products as well as RS...

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/M...toid=-75458491
Old 15 December 2004, 07:39   #7

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
These are the boyos for that job.... Duraseal.. also available from Vehicle Wiring Products as well as RS...
I like them but I think these can be better http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/M...stockNo=391980
Des
Old 15 December 2004, 08:47   #8

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
The above links don't work if you're not signed in as you! If you post the part numbers then everyone can go to rswww.com and look them up!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2004, 09:21   #9

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
The above links don't work if you're not signed in as you! If you post the part numbers then everyone can go to rswww.com and look them up!
You can got www.rswww.com and follow the links to cables and connectors- crimp terminals- Duraseal.... not too tricky, eh Cooks?
Old 15 December 2004, 09:29   #10

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by 118118
hi all,
as some of you may know i have been avidly searching for a small rib, and have finaly bought a 4m searider. i have started to referbish, and now am going to fit a bilge pump. problem is, that the rule 360gph that i have bought only has 3foot of cable. obviously this wont be longenough to get from the transom, to the console, so i will need to join the cable. how should this be done. would heat shrink tube be good enough to keep the water out, or is there anyway to put a longer lead onto the pump?
Am i being stupid here or something, doesn't the 4m Searider have a flooding hull, therefore what would be the point of having a bilge pump ?

of course if the hull was blanked off though ?
Old 15 December 2004, 09:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee
RS part No. 666-054

Des
Old 15 December 2004, 09:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge Rat
Am i being stupid here or something..............
Yes you are he is pumping the deck space not the flooding hull but I suppose given time (a lot of time) you could pump the hull dry 360 g/h x all the water in the world Des
Old 15 December 2004, 11:23   #13

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Is that silicone stuff the same as Helermans sleeving
Dunno.

I buy it as model aeroplane fuel tubing. It just pushes on and it is completely fuel tight. It's heat resistant and oil/fuel resistant. I've had stuff lying for years and it doesn't appear to deteriorate at all. It can be got in larger sizes too, commonly used as exhaust pipe. Yep, it stands that amount of heat. It's so grippy, a wee touch of grease or oil may be necessary to get it to slide along the cable. It's tough enough that you can stretch it over a connector after it has been soldered onto the cable.
Old 15 December 2004, 12:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
Yes you are he is pumping the deck space not the flooding hull but I suppose given time (a lot of time) you could pump the hull dry 360 g/h x all the water in the world Des
So why not just leave the trunk at the back down, at rest the water will drain out as the decks higher than the water level, on the move it drain out through inertia ?
Old 15 December 2004, 13:13   #15

Quote:
So why not just leave the trunk at the back down, at rest the water will drain out as the decks higher than the water level, on the move it drain out through inertia ?
Aah got me there we’ll have to ask him next time he is around Des
Old 15 December 2004, 13:15   #16
Seb

Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 50
Personally, id get myself an index marine junction box. (www.indexmarine.co.uk)

You can then simply pass the cable into the box through a water tight cable gland, make the join neatly inside with connection blocks or crimps, pass the cable out the other side through another gland and off to the power source.

Screw the box to the transom and reaffix the lid and youll never have to worry about it again!

This appears to be how the professionals do the job 'properly' and it allows for modification at a later date as you can add more glands to the box and put other connections inside.

Also allows for peace of mind as you can take the lid off easily to check connections when doing maintenance - that way youll always know its fine rather than wondering if alls ok beneath that mound of sikaflex!!

Hope it helps

Cheers
Old 15 December 2004, 17:49   #17

Town: IoW
Make: HysuCat 6.5
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 70 2s
Quote:
are you sure that the deck is higher than the water level outside?. i would use a trunk, but there isn't already one there, and also i dont like the idea of drilling huge holes in the transom

in conclusion i think i will probably get a waterproof connection box and cable lands to do the job properly. i also like this idea, because as said, you can check the connections now and again.

thanks for all replys, and get ready for some more newbee questions
Old 15 December 2004, 19:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 118118
are you sure that the deck is higher than the water level outside?. i would use a trunk, but there isn't already one there, and also i dont like the idea of drilling huge holes in the transom

in conclusion i think i will probably get a waterproof connection box and cable lands to do the job properly. i also like this idea, because as said, you can check the connections now and again.

thanks for all replys, and get ready for some more newbee questions
This is very interesting, i'd always thought that seariders had a drain hole in the transom with an elephants trunk fitted....certainly any i've seen have....

I'd actually suggest fitting one as its the fastest way to clear a flooded deck!

anyway the idea is that if the boats correctly fitted out then the deck will sit higher than the water level, therfore if the bottom edge of the trunk is at deck level at rest water wont come into the boat, but what tends to happen is people fit the biggest meanest engine they can fit on and this makes the boat stern heavy.
Old 15 December 2004, 20:23   #19
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
So why not just leave the trunk at the back down, at rest the water will drain out as the decks higher than the water level
Not on a Searider and many other boats, it won't. The deck only drains when moving forward. Venturi effect, I think.

All Seariders I've seen have been fitted with one or two trunks and these will drain the deck quicker than any bilge pump. It's a good idea to have both. If your engine's gone down, you'll need some way to empty the boat. On a 4m boat, I'd go for a manual whalegusher pump.

DM