Old 07 October 2006, 21:12   #1

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Bilge pump prob

Just discovered about 6" of water in my bilges - when I checked I discovered the fuse had blown. It is a Rule 500gph automatic. It works on manual fine. I changed the fuse and it runs constantly - obviously why the fuse blew.

The impeller doesn't appear blocked. It pumps out loads on manual as I said. I think there must be a constant load though which is why it isn't shutting off automatically.

Any ideas? How do you dismantle the pump - does the red plastic top come off?
Old 07 October 2006, 21:32   #2
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Just discovered about 6" of water in my bilges
Common problem with Prosports. The deck needs to be sealed off more effectively than they are ex factory.

Quote:
It is a Rule 500gph automatic.

If I was rigging that size boat, I'd fit a minimum of 1500gph.

DM
Old 07 October 2006, 23:49   #3

Don't think it's down to the builder - the boat is open and there has been loads of rain - it has to go somewhere!!!

I agree on the size of the pump - I will fit a 2nd one later - prob a 2000 or even 4000 gph - I will still keep a little 500 though as it sucks the bilges totally dry!!!
Old 08 October 2006, 07:40   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I tried pulling a Rule apart once but no joy-it'll break before it comes apart. Is it worth fitting a separate float switch? You could have one or both pumps running off it then when you upgrade pumps and it's cheaper to replace than the whole unit.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 October 2006, 11:35   #5
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Don't think it's down to the builder
On all the prosports I've seen, the hull voids drain into the bilge well so if there's 6" water in there, there's 6" water throughout the hull. The bilge drain pipe and the fuel lines should exit through witches tits the same as the other cabling. You would then be able to fit a waterproof hatch cover to the bilge well.

The way it's set up at the moment, if you ever take a wave over the boat, the hull will be full of water and you will be relying on a puny pump to get rid of it. A rib deck should be sealed and totally self draining.

Prosport also had the quaint little practice of fitting a junction box with all the nav light/bilge pump wiring in the bilge well.
Attached Images

Old 08 October 2006, 11:57   #6

I beg to differ there - you are right in one sense but the drain hole from the rest of the boat into the sump is quite small - even the small pump I have will empty the well and shut off BEFORE the whole bilge is empty - conversely if you fill the sump from a huge bucket not that much finds it's way forward. Remember there is also gravity on your side - it all drains to the back.

I could rig up a cover to go over the sump which would stop it filling up from a wave but to be honest it would only save perhaps 10 gallons of additional weight.

Remember 6" of water is ONLY in the sump - considering how much rain we have that doesn't bother me - you should see the other boats down there. I suppose the best solution is an overall cover but I am still looking for a sensibly priced one.

Fortunately there is no wiring other than the pump in the bilge - I think!!!

You say the whole deck should be sealed - to be honest I prefer my setup because I KNOW when there is water present - I have read anout people on here suddenly finding loads of water under their decks they knew nothing about - even on Scorpions!!!
Old 10 October 2006, 17:27   #7

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
I can't really say whether a unitized unit or separate pump and float switch is better. I just replaced my switch (Rule float switch) after it failed (never turned on.) Checked out the switch on removal, and it would a) not switch anything when moved through its range of motion, and b) the float was, determined by shaking, about 3/4 full of water. Pump was still OK, though, if somewhat modestly sized (1100 GPH, I think.)

I made a new bracket (new switch had to be located higher), and mounted one of these:

http://www.waterwitchinc.com/product...itchsheet.html

Seems to work pretty well, though I have not yet needed the auto feature. Tested OK when filling the bilge with a garden hose.

jky
Old 10 October 2006, 22:07   #8

I have heard good things about the water wich - let us know how you get on.
Old 12 October 2006, 01:00   #9

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Re: bilge pump switch

I guess if you have a pump with a external or internal mechanical switch you just need to routinely inspect and clean it. I have a pump with a built in switch which as of yet has given me no problems, but a electronic switch seems like it might be a lot more reliable. What ever happened to self bailing cockpits? My own boat takes on very little water due to design, if you have openings to the bilge seal em off! It is a minor issue with most ribs in any case...
Old 12 October 2006, 09:11   #10

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Just discovered about 6" of water in my bilges - when I checked I discovered the fuse had blown. It is a Rule 500gph automatic. It works on manual fine. I changed the fuse and it runs constantly - obviously why the fuse blew.

The impeller doesn't appear blocked. It pumps out loads on manual as I said. I think there must be a constant load though which is why it isn't shutting off automatically.

Any ideas? How do you dismantle the pump - does the red plastic top come off?
On the rule pump I had it all came apart and I discovered the plastic sliding float switch was gummed up with crud from the bilge. Cleaned it all up and put it back together, worked fine with no problems!
hope this helps.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2006, 10:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
On the rule pump I had it all came apart and I discovered the plastic sliding float switch was gummed up with crud from the bilge. Cleaned it all up and put it back together, worked fine with no problems!
hope this helps.

Which Rule pump did you have and how did it come apart? On mine it's electronic and senses load - no float switch.
Old 12 October 2006, 10:43   #12

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
I had (and still have) one of the rule autos. very good. previous one fried when i forgot to fit the mesh and it melted with a stone stuck in the impellor. stripped it to find:
it is not possible to strip without breaking, they are glued and sealed
there is no float switch, just a small psb which acts as the load sensor

i rate them highly - well designed and very reliable.
Old 12 October 2006, 18:57   #13

Quote:
I have heard good things about the water wich - let us know how you get on.

I will, should I think about it. Hopefully, the thing will never actually be of use. Time will tell on that, though.

jky
Old 12 October 2006, 19:02   #14

Quote:
Which Rule pump did you have and how did it come apart? On mine it's electronic and senses load - no float switch.
There's a couple of types; some with internal or external float switches, or you can get external solid state switches. Yours, I believe, comes on periodically and if there's nothing to pump, it shuts off after a few seconds.

I personally don't like the idea of that, as the current drain on a boat that's sitting is considerably higher than a pump with a switch. That's jst me, though.

On my smaller boat, the 500gph Rule that I had featured a removable base. I believe it was a sort of bayonet mount. You mount the base to whatever you're putting it on, and then snap the rest of the pump onto it.

I do agree with others, though; 500gph sounds pretty small for a boat as large as yours.

jky
Old 12 October 2006, 19:45   #15

Yes it is - when it comes out of the water there will be another pump fitted - 2000gph or similar. I also have 2 elephants trunks so it's not too bad.
Old 23 October 2006, 13:00   #16

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning View Post
On all the prosports I've seen, the hull voids drain into the bilge well so if there's 6" water in there, there's 6" water throughout the hull. The bilge drain pipe and the fuel lines should exit through witches tits the same as the other cabling. You would then be able to fit a waterproof hatch cover to the bilge well.

Hmm, yes and no. I've got what must be one of the last hulls built by Jason and it does have a bilge sump completely separate from the rest of the hull bilge. That's not to say water doesn't still find its way into the hull bilge through the pipe glands etc, but at least any water breaking over the stern should mainly end up in the sump. I think this was a 'Prosport modification' that they did at the end of their days, all the others I've seen including Cods and my first hull were completely open to water flooding.

For what it's worth, I now run a rule semi automatic pump. Has a float switch to start it, and then runs until no more load on impellor for 15 secs. Seems fine so far.