Old 11 May 2021, 11:14   #21

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Pig View Post
These came up at a good price, They are very rugged and built for commercial use and like the extra battery life
I was put off by the floatables as I understand they flash when submersed and you can’t easily turn this off then call if you’re in the drink

The strobe (on the HX851 and 890s i have) is easy to turn off in the menu and doesn't affect the usage it just uses a bit more battery when its wet but would make you/it easier to find at night in the water...
Old 18 May 2021, 20:47   #22

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
The strobe (on the HX851 and 890s i have) is easy to turn off in the menu and doesn't affect the usage it just uses a bit more battery when its wet but would make you/it easier to find at night in the water...

Not sure if I would like to be scrolling through a radio menu after being plunged into the sea in a force 7 trying to turn the light off to enable a call I want to press the red button and yell for help
Old 18 May 2021, 20:55   #23
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Not sure if I would like to be scrolling through a radio menu after being plunged into the sea in a force 7 trying to turn the light off to enable a call I want to press the red button and yell for help
Does one have to turn off the light to enable a call?
Old 18 May 2021, 21:19   #24

Quote:
Why would you be faffing with the strobe? It doesn’t stop the radio working it just uses the battery a bit quicker if it activates..... it doesn’t impact emergency use (or general use) in anyway and if you aren’t getting a soaking every time out leave it on.... but if you often go for a swim and need a full battery like a multi day trip you might want to turn it off from time to time
Old 18 May 2021, 22:51   #25

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Does one have to turn off the light to enable a call?
In a couple of reviews I read for some their were cons against a few
Old 19 May 2021, 07:04   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
In a couple of reviews I read for some their were cons against a few
Clearing it me thanks that for it up, mostly see.
Old 19 May 2021, 07:17   #27

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Me now confused? Thats almost butchers back slang
Old 19 May 2021, 07:20   #28
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman2 View Post
Me now confused? Thats almost butchers back slang
covfefe...
Old 19 May 2021, 12:06   #29

Town: Southsea
Boat name: Voodoo
Make: Ribtec
Length: 7m +
Engine: Mercruiser 350 Mag
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Icom, never had a problem.
+1 for Icom..have never had another make...both fixed and handheld...however with the number of SH enthusiasts it sounds like they are good too.
Old 11 June 2021, 22:59   #30

Cobra is cheap shite, the best marine VHF handheld radio on the market right now is the Icom M94D. It has a built in AIS receiver and you can select AIS targets on the radio to make individual DSC calls.

I have the old version (M93D) and it's still an excellent radio, waterproof and floating, with a feature to clear the speaker of water when it's wet (and it works REALLY well unlike my old Cobra which you couldn't hear for half an hour after getting it wet), plus if it goes in the water it will flash the screen and keypad and even the distress button so you can see it in the dark and if you press the distress button while it's wet it will automatically send a Man overboard distress call.
Old 12 June 2021, 21:11   #31

AIS interesting but not sure if it’s worth the extra over a normal DSC unit?

Heard of the first issue on a HX890 this week it’s gone back under warranty hopefully be sorted next week but that’s why they have a 3yr warranty
Old 22 June 2021, 20:35   #32

The M93D has been discontinued so if you want the flagship Icom DSC handheld you will get the AIS one regardless. I can see how it's kind of a gimmick however if you're on something small with no fixed VHF radio and AIS I can see how it could be useful.
Old 27 June 2021, 10:57   #33

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
Is this of any interest to this thread. Trusted seller near me in Kent.

Icom ic-m400b plus an HM-195B Command Mic for remote operation. New and unused in original boxes. Less than half price at £300.
Old 27 June 2021, 13:32   #34

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
HDAV - what happened with your HX890 out of interest? As I think I bought mine at the same time on the same deal!
Old 04 August 2021, 19:38   #35

Town: London
Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF150
Standard Horizon, made by Yaesu, would never buy anything else.

I had my HX870 for about 3-4 years, managed to seriously scratch the screen. Plus changed the boat so needed the MMSI reset. Sent to Yaesu UK and got the front + back of the shell replaced brand new, plus MMSI reset for £90.00 posted. Very well built and easy to use, a pleasure.
Old 04 August 2021, 21:54   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Standard Horizon, made by Yaesu, would never buy anything else.

I had my HX870 for about 3-4 years, managed to seriously scratch the screen. Plus changed the boat so needed the MMSI reset. Sent to Yaesu UK and got the front + back of the shell replaced brand new, plus MMSI reset for £90.00 posted. Very well built and easy to use, a pleasure.
HX870’is a handheld you don’t change the MMSI when you change the boat as it should have a portable MMSI sounds like you entered a fixed MMSI into a portable radio. This is wrong, the portable MMSI can be used on any vessel with permission of the ships master a fixed MMSI should move with boat
Old 04 August 2021, 21:58   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
HDAV - what happened with your HX890 out of interest? As I think I bought mine at the same time on the same deal!
Mine is fine a friends had an issue where it would flatten a battery from fully charged in about an hour, was an issue with the squelch apparently, unit was replaced under warranty by dealer eventually took a couple of weeks which was disappointing
Old 05 August 2021, 08:34   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
HX870’is a handheld you don’t change the MMSI when you change the boat as it should have a portable MMSI sounds like you entered a fixed MMSI into a portable radio. This is wrong, the portable MMSI can be used on any vessel with permission of the ships master a fixed MMSI should move with boat
Incorrect statement. I consulted with OFCOM when changing my boat and my setup is perfectly within their guidances. My licence is registered with fixed and portable radios with the only one MMSI for both VHFs. Unless OFCOM advised me incorrectly but I’m prone to trust them.

You indeed can use a portable vhf on another ship without registering an MMSI number with a particular boat (portable licence), but if you wish to attach your handheld to the boat which already has one (fixed vhf licence), then what I said above is the way to go, one MMSI for both fixed and portable, and this have to be reflected in your OFCOM licence.

I have a Standard Horison GX2400E networked on NMEA and the handheld HX870, both on same MMSI. This is for safety reasons, my fixed could have an issue, the portable will transmit my MMSI and attached information in an emergency situation even if I’m unable to speak.

Also, the fact that your VHF is handheld doesn’t mean you have to chose a portable licence (which is designed for occasional boaters that don’t need to attach the MMSI to one single ship). When applying you can perfectly chose a fixed licence and tie the handheld radio to one boat, which I did with all my previous boats without installing a fixed radio. The choice of the type of licence is based on the use and not on the form factor.
Old 05 August 2021, 09:13   #39

If you only ever used the portable on the same vessel then you can do that but you loose potential functionality of the handheld by tying it to the fixed. I don’t see the benefit in having them on same MMSI a dsc alert from a boat and a dsc alert from a handheld is still an alert and if you get a dsc call if will be to both units but that has no benefit when you are onboard?
Old 05 August 2021, 10:00   #40

I understand your point, but as a safety measure I prefer a back up handheld radio registered on the same boat. Plus my rib is kept on a swing mooring and the handheld is always attached to my safety jacket when going in or coming back ashore. When on the rib I switch off my handheld. When beaching and staying ashore till the next tide I keep my handheld on and switch fixed radio off. Just convenient for me and I like it this way.