Old 03 November 2022, 14:39   #1

Town: Oswestry
Boat name: RIB
Make: Valiant
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard/Petrol/25
Battery for new Mercury efi Elctric Start

Hi Folks,

I'll soon take delivery of a new Mercury 15 Hp EFI for a Rigiflex 360. It will have electric start and used for teaching sailing on a small lake. What battery should I fit for the electric start? There will be some start/stop during sessions which will last circa 2 hours. I plan to fix the battery in a box attached to the transom under the engine. As the engine is only 330 cc, I'd think that a small motor cycle battery might be a good choice and to keep weight down, wondering about lithium ... but open to all suggestions.

Thanks all, Brian
Old 03 November 2022, 15:04   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo View Post
Hi Folks,

I'll soon take delivery of a new Mercury 15 Hp EFI for a Rigiflex 360. It will have electric start and used for teaching sailing on a small lake. What battery should I fit for the electric start? There will be some start/stop during sessions which will last circa 2 hours. I plan to fix the battery in a box attached to the transom under the engine. As the engine is only 330 cc, I'd think that a small motor cycle battery might be a good choice and to keep weight down, wondering about lithium ... but open to all suggestions.

Thanks all, Brian

The owners manual should specify a battery size.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2022, 17:04   #3

Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/Merc340/Bic245
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5413.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	141797
Old 03 November 2022, 17:35   #4

Yes that ties up with the manual I found online. 350 CCA is a lot of cranking current = quite a big lead acid battery that I don'twant to carry around. The engine is just 330 cc so what surprises me is that large motorycle engines seem very happy with much smaller matteries than specified for this engine.
I've started looking at lithium as a more realistic solution for a boat that only weighs 120 Kg.
Old 03 November 2022, 17:57   #5

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Battery for new Mercury efi Elctric Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo View Post
Yes that ties up with the manual I found online. 350 CCA is a lot of cranking current = quite a big lead acid battery that I don'twant to carry around. The engine is just 330 cc so what surprises me is that large motorycle engines seem very happy with much smaller matteries than specified for this engine.
I've started looking at lithium as a more realistic solution for a boat that only weighs 120 Kg.

350CCA is quite small actually. A bog standard car battery will be circa 800cca.
Tbh electric start on an engine that size is a bit of an extravagance unless you have a good reason for needing it.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 November 2022, 18:34   #6

Good points Dave. The good reason is that we are an RYA training centre. We must stop engines when we are alongside people who have capsized and are in the water. Electric start encourages the crew to stop the engine if they know they can restart it easily.
Old 03 November 2022, 19:33   #7

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I would do Lithium or LiPo, but it MUST be 100% sealed or bad things happen in salt water. You can make one easy enough using cells, but it must fit into a sealed container like a canister for a scuba diving light. Otherwise an AGM is more compact and better sealed than a flooded lead acid battery. Both will take a specific voltage regulator to keep the voltage down.

Buying a Lithium 12 volt jump pack and modifying it might be the easiest and cheapest way to get a battery. It will still require a 100% sealed container.
Old 05 November 2022, 07:44   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
An 063 car battery will do everything you need & won't need special boxes or attention, cost about 40 quid & will last a good few years weighs 12kgs ish but not the end of the world in the grand scheme.
Its easy to over think things & before you know it your into an expensive complicated project.
Simple is often best imho

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app