Old 11 June 2020, 23:24   #21

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
It's not just about starting the outboard. Does a chart plotter get left on, like when fishing? Anchor light left on? What is the amp draw of the bilge pump, and how often does it run? Does it rain a lot? Is the boat left on a mooring or on the hook? Do you plan to do so in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
Size of the battery is going to be dependent on load. Are you going to be running a chart plotter for hours on end, say while fishing with the boat shut off? What size battery are you replacing and has it been sufficient for your past needs?
In the USA I can buy an AGM for around $150 US. Being that it lasts twice as long as a lead acid battery the ROI is just kicked further down the road. Since when is the cost of quality boat parts factored in anyway? Just save the money by buying a cheap lifejacket

Another question would be how often is the boat used, and does the battery sit on a charger of some form? Most batteries do better on a trickle charger long term. Heck I keep a solar panel and charge controller in my vehicle that is only rarely driven. Boat batteries have been kept on a CTek charger.