Old 28 July 2013, 08:31   #1

Town: Porto - Portugal
Boat name: XPTO III
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Automatic bilge pump

I have a 5.20 m Valiant Rib with a bilge pump (non automatic).
It it rains and the boat is not covered, the aft almost sinks.
I am thinking installing a second bilge pump, with automatic switch, maybe a "removable" solution, just to avoid this situation.
Any comments? Any pump model recommended.
Thanks
Old 28 July 2013, 08:36   #2

Length: 3m +
Why not just fit a float switch to the pump circuits? Only advantage I can see to a second pump is redundancy if one fails. But I'd say an elephant trunk or something simillar would be a better redundancy option when out of the water and a bucket for if you are stationary.
Old 28 July 2013, 08:46   #3

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Why not just fit a float switch to the pump circuits? Only advantage I can see to a second pump is redundancy if one fails. But I'd say an elephant trunk or something simillar would be a better redundancy option when out of the water and a bucket for if you are stationary.
Would second that. I am on a swing mooring for six months and use a float switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2013, 08:54   #4

Town: southampton
Make: ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 suzuki
Replace it with one of these

RULE-MATE FULLY AUTOMATIC BILGE PUMP 500 GPH 12V - Rule Electric Bilge Pumps - RULE-MATE FULLY AUTOMATIC BILGE PUMP 500 GPH 12V - Rule Electric Bilge Pumps - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing
Old 28 July 2013, 08:59   #5

Or one of these:
RULE-A-MATIC FLOAT SWITCH - Float Switches - RULE-A-MATIC FLOAT SWITCH - Float Switches - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing
Available elsewhere (fleabay etc) for half the price, and save £30 for the next bit of kit..
Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with his pump
Old 28 July 2013, 09:48   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Personally I'd prefer to add a float switch-pumps and switches don't usually fail at the same time and replacing both is more money.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2013, 09:51   #7

Thank you all.
I will try the switch option (or the automatic Rule pump).
The transom of the Valiant PT-520 is very low and the Suzuki DF 90 is heavy. Already had some situations where the transom was below water level (after one night of heavy rain). I was lucky the engine started and could drain the water by driving at slow speed.
Old 28 July 2013, 09:56   #8

Bear in mind the pump if its got that much water to shift will drain a fair bit of power. You'll want a different battery or you wont be able to start the DF90...

Cover?
Old 28 July 2013, 10:06   #9

If I leave the boat on the water for a long time, I will use the cover, but just for one or two days...

Thanks for the note about the battery capacity.
Old 07 August 2013, 15:55   #10
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
I use Rule 800 gph auto pumps on mine - they switch on for a second every few minutes, and switch off again if there is no resistance (i.e. no water).

However - left on the mooring for a month last autumn (for reasons I had no control over ) - two pumps completely flattened the batteries on the boat...
Old 07 August 2013, 20:22   #11

Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcarrapatoso View Post
If I leave the boat on the water for a long time, I will use the cover, but just for one or two days...

Thanks for the note about the battery capacity.
I fitted one of these last year great little pump i put mine on a switch so it can be turned off when the boat is not in use it kept the boat dry the last time i left the boat on mooring over a few days & night at Oban RULE 500 12v Bilge Pump 25S - FULLY AUTOMATIC - | eBay
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2013, 14:51   #12

Some automatic pumps have built-in switches, others start every few minutes to check if there is water.
Any comments on pros and cons of the two approaches? Reliability, battery usage?
Old 08 August 2013, 15:07   #13
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
The ones with the built in switches tend to be bigger to house the float switch, but will only pump when there is water present - so won't drain your battery on 'standby' (unless it's raining/seawater getting in so it's pumping anyway).

The electronic auto ones that switch on every couple of minutes to see if there is any resistance (i.e. water to pump) tend to be smaller, but can drain your batteries, even if it's been dry, if left for a sustained period.

I like the electronic auto ones - they take up much less space - even if it did flatten my battery once.

Edit about reliability - all 4 of mine are the electronic (no float switch) Rule 800 gph auto pumps, 2 are 8 years old, 1 is about 3 years old, and 1 has been on the boat for about a week. The ones that needed replacement are the deck pumps - so get used more than the two in the engine box.

D...
Old 08 August 2013, 17:53   #14

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
I have answered this thread before. But I must advise that I had two rule matics and they both ran my bats down and did not last a season. Went back to a rule 1100 and float switch plus the best set up IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2013, 18:44   #15

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
with a float switch, approx how much pumping are we talking to kill a battery?
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 August 2013, 18:49   #16

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Rule auto lasted six years. Ran the bat down once, but I had two batteries. Loved it..very simple.
Old 08 August 2013, 20:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
with a float switch, approx how much pumping are we talking to kill a battery?
Depends on your pump and your battery.

Assumptions: small pump like this: RULE BILGE PUMP 500 GPH 12V - Rule Electric Bilge Pumps - RULE BILGE PUMP 500 GPH 12V - Rule Electric Bilge Pumps - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing
Will pump 500 gal/h
Draws 2.1A
You'll probably find starting draws more power and pumps less so if on and off a lot then it may be less.
So if you have a 100Ah battery you can only really run it it to about 40% of that before the voltage drops too low. So you have about 60Ah. That means you've got less than 30hours of pumping. Then depends how much water you are shipping. A big wave would easily be the quivalent of chucking a gallon bucket at you. Will depend on the hull and where you are moored etc. If that happened every minute you'd be shipping 60gal an hour. So you'd probably be pumping for 9minutes in every hour. So you'd keep pumping from a fully charged battery for 200 hours at that rate... So just over a week. And thats not in a major storm...

If there were no waves or leaks and just rain.... Assuming you have a 6m Rib x 2m Wide so have a 12msq (120,000 sq cm) free surface. Last year we had an average of ~1300mm rain. 1mm of rainfall is 1litre over a msq. So 1300mm is 1300litres per metre, so 15,600litres over the boat --> ~ 4000 gallons So I don't think there is a major problem with rain alone... Even if you had a months rain in a day you'd get 400gallons so only an hour of pump running which would only use 2Ah of battery...
Old 09 August 2013, 19:27   #18

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Depends on your pump and your battery.

Assumptions: small pump like this: RULE BILGE PUMP 500 GPH 12V - Rule Electric Bilge Pumps - RULE BILGE PUMP 500 GPH 12V - Rule Electric Bilge Pumps - Discount Marine Chandlery and Sailing Equipment. Bargain Boat Spares and Clothing
Will pump 500 gal/h
Draws 2.1A
You'll probably find starting draws more power and pumps less so if on and off a lot then it may be less.
So if you have a 100Ah battery you can only really run it it to about 40% of that before the voltage drops too low. So you have about 60Ah. That means you've got less than 30hours of pumping. Then depends how much water you are shipping. A big wave would easily be the quivalent of chucking a gallon bucket at you. Will depend on the hull and where you are moored etc. If that happened every minute you'd be shipping 60gal an hour. So you'd probably be pumping for 9minutes in every hour. So you'd keep pumping from a fully charged battery for 200 hours at that rate... So just over a week. And thats not in a major storm...

If there were no waves or leaks and just rain.... Assuming you have a 6m Rib x 2m Wide so have a 12msq (120,000 sq cm) free surface. Last year we had an average of ~1300mm rain. 1mm of rainfall is 1litre over a msq. So 1300mm is 1300litres per metre, so 15,600litres over the boat --> ~ 4000 gallons So I don't think there is a major problem with rain alone... Even if you had a months rain in a day you'd get 400gallons so only an hour of pump running which would only use 2Ah of battery...
Wow, wasnt expecting that! great answer, thanks very much!
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2013, 00:18   #19

Town: Horley
Boat name: Pending!
Make: Cobra
Engine: 225hp Outboard
Anyone tried the Water Witch electronic switch?

Looks to be promising from the description and it is used on lots of foreign rescue boats so I guess it is well thought of. Plus it can be easily added to an existing pump.
Old 11 August 2013, 20:09   #20

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mariner 75
No - but I changed a float switch which lasted a season for the Whale sensor switch (no moving parts) and it has been very reliable so far ...