Old 11 August 2013, 20:57   #21

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstars View Post
Anyone tried the Water Witch electronic switch?

Looks to be promising from the description and it is used on lots of foreign rescue boats so I guess it is well thought of. Plus it can be easily added to an existing pump.
I have been using an electronic switch in a couple of different boats over the years with excellent success. Far more than I can say for a mechanical switch. Mechanical switches fail way to easily from debris or they just get stuck in the off position. I now have a small Water Witch that works well and hasn't failed so far. My previous unit ran two 1100 gallon Rule pumps.
Old 12 August 2013, 15:38   #22

Town: Arlington
Boat name: Clear Cut
Make: Polaris
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstars View Post
Anyone tried the Water Witch electronic switch?

Looks to be promising from the description and it is used on lots of foreign rescue boats so I guess it is well thought of. Plus it can be easily added to an existing pump.
A long time ago I had something similar in a Boston Whaler to pump rainwater. It looked similar to this one except the two plates were at opposite ends of box:
Bilge Switch - 230 [Model 230] - $57.30 : Water Witch Inc., High quality bilge products

The problem I had was that rainwater was too pure and so was non-conductive. I would dump half a box of baking soda in the flooded boat and the switch would activate. I would think it would work well in a bilge were there is salt water or other contaminates. Unless they have improved it by making it more sensitive then it may have trouble pumping rainwater from an open boat.
Old 15 August 2013, 11:54   #23

Town: Buckingham
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Mariner 75
Interesting - it sounds like these switches are relying on the conductance of salty water. I went for the Whale sensor switch because it has no exposed contacts (I'm guessing that it measures the capacitance between two points) and has worked equally well for rain water, tap water and sea water. From memory it was about £26.
Old 15 August 2013, 17:27   #24

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
I had no issues with rain water on my past boat that used a sensor. My current Water Witch works in lake water but I have never left the boat out in the rain...well except when diving in the rain so we were dragging a lot of salt water back into the boat.
Old 16 August 2013, 12:25   #25
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
For some reason, people on this forum dont seem to rate them, but I have used two WHALE products and found them excellent.
I have used the supersub with integrated electronic switch
and found that reliable.
I have also used a whale standalone electronic switch to control a pump to get rid of rainwater on the deck and that worked marvellously.
I was concerned about the drain from the electronics on standby, so I measured it, it was in microamps and would take months to have any effect on the battery.
No, I don't work for whale.
Old 16 August 2013, 14:25   #26

Town: Wickford, Essex
Boat name: Wanderer
Make: Ribeye, Zodiac FR
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha F300, 25 2S
MMSI: 235095667
I've been through 2 whale pumps in less than a year (it was a new boat), the first one failing in under a week. They failed. To startup in both auto and manual modes. I've changed it for a Johnson pump which was recommended to me. I've had rule pumps in my other pumps and never has a problem with them.
Old 16 August 2013, 20:12   #27
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppenman View Post
I've been through 2 whale pumps in less than a year (it was a new boat), the first one failing in under a week. They failed. To startup in both auto and manual modes. I've changed it for a Johnson pump which was recommended to me. I've had rule pumps in my other pumps and never has a problem with them.
What can I say, not my experience.
But this board is full complaints about rule pumps failing.
Old 20 August 2013, 08:59   #28

Town: Porto - Portugal
Boat name: XPTO III
Make: Valiant
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
I am thinking about installing a second battery just for the auto bilge pump, isolated from the main circuits (engine, lights, manual bilge pump).
Rule auto pumps start on a periodic basis. This characteristic may drain the battery if the boat stays unattended for a long period.
Rule-mate auto pumps and Attwood Sahara auto pumps have a built in switch. They only start when the water reaches a certain level. This approach seams more interesting, although I read some notes that indicate the pumps will only start with more than 2" of water and stop with 1".
Any suggestions.
Thanks.