Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
AIS VHF & Plotter

If I get a AIS VHF thats N2k compatible will this put the AIS information onto my N2k plotter?
Old 24 November 2013, 19:07   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHall View Post
If I get a AIS VHF thats N2k compatible will this put the AIS information onto my N2k plotter?
Link8 with your HDS gear?
Old 24 November 2013, 19:09   #3

RIBase
Thats what I was thinking, but then if i can get a link 8 for SRP: £296.40 and get AIS on my HDS gear, then why would anyone buy an AIS receiver for £500.00

So if i get the Link 8, connect it to the N2k network - Bingo I have an AIS plotter?
Old 24 November 2013, 19:18   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Thats what I was thinking, but then if i can get a link 8 for SRP: £296.40 and get AIS on my HDS gear, then why would anyone buy an AIS receiver for £500.00

So if i get the Link 8, connect it to the N2k network - Bingo I have an AIS plotter?
Yes, but the point of AIS is to be broadcasting your position, which the Link 8 doesn't do. IMHO you would be much better off with a Digital Yacht AIT2000 or other AIS transceiver.
Old 24 November 2013, 19:23   #5

RIBase
I understand that its better to be seen, but Id its better to see whats going on that nothing at all, and my VHF 421 is getting old and showing signs that it needs to be replaced.

As I am adding the HDS equipment this winter I may also include the link 8 into my upgrade.
Old 24 November 2013, 19:27   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
I think so, but any £150 AIS receiver should do the same. Might you be mixing them up with Transceivers? That said, the Link8 looks very nice and removes the need for a splitter box or second antenna (more money and wiring).

Ignore Gotchi - he's an attention seeker who wants to appear on the plotters of tankers and bulk carriers If you need to keep in touch with buddies in a fleet, you should be able to poll their VHFs directly for a position if you set it up correctly.
Old 24 November 2013, 19:33   #7

RIBase
willk - not confusing with rx & tx. I only want rx...

My VHF is getting old, and I have had a few problems in the past season, so this is a good enough reason for the update.
Old 24 November 2013, 19:42   #8

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I think so, but any £150 AIS receiver should do the same.
Actually - I think some of the cheaper end ones will only really have one receiver for AIS that scans both channels. That results in about 1/3rd of traffic being lost going by all accounts. No great shakes for the speed / direction data you will probably get it next time, but is the reason it often takes more than 6 minutes to get the vessel detail (e.g. name) when it is being transmitted every 6 mins.

Trouble is they often say 'receive on both AIS channels' and don't say how they do it.

Link 8 says dual channel but can't be sure if thats 2 separate receivers. The manual on-line is pants.

Doesn't feel like you'd need that much extra kit in the box to send AIS so why does that then cost an extra £500?
Old 24 November 2013, 19:43   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
willk - not confusing with rx & tx. I only want rx...
Ah, OK - it was the £500 that foxed me. A Link8 at £265 seems too good to say no to. I have no idea how good a VHF they are but I'd risk it for a biscuit

Old 24 November 2013, 19:43   #10

RIBase
When I have looked for an AIS tx/rx they are like £500
Old 24 November 2013, 20:07   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Ah, OK - it was the £500 that foxed me. A Link8 at £265 seems too good to say no to. I have no idea how good a VHF they are but I'd risk it for a biscuit

When I have look for an AIS unit to do both they seem to be like £500, not sure if that includes cables, antenna and all that, so it is an expensive toy.

Id love to be seen, but i would much rather see whats out there and if like you say the link 8 gives me this for £250 isn then thats worth a punt!
Old 24 November 2013, 22:08   #12

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Doesn't feel like you'd need that much extra kit in the box to send AIS so why does that then cost an extra £500?
A receiver doesn't need any certification. It's just a glorified VHF receiver with a chip to decode the AIS transmission into NMEA.
A transponder has to be fully certified/approved (=expensive) and does a lot more clever processing to avoid conflicting transmissions from other vessels. A transponder is 'only' twice the price of a good quality full dual channel receiver and that includes a GPS antenna as well.

There's also the economy of scale - a lot more receivers are sold than transponders.
Old 25 November 2013, 00:06   #13

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Celtic Wanderer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6, Honda
MMSI: 235087784
I have fitted garmin ais600 to boat and I would never do without it again
I would possibly look at the vhf300i next time as I think it's got the same transponder system
Better to be seen than not
Radar reflectors are about as much use as a chocolate fire guard so AIS is the way forward
Old 25 November 2013, 06:07   #14

RIBase
I'd love one - but £500+
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2013, 07:05   #15

Town: Dunoon
Boat name: Celtic Wanderer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Volvo D6, Honda
MMSI: 235087784
safety!
what price????
Old 25 November 2013, 07:18   #16

RIBase
I've boated for years and only ever chartered with AIS, but never felt I wouldn't go out in the RIB without AIS, I do see the benefit on long distance cruising for the WAFI's.

I would rather have receive so that I could see what's going on in bad weather, and spend the remaining £250 on fuel enabling me to get out on the water. I think for most of my cruising I would disable the Tx anyway as not to clutter up other peoples plotters as i am bay hopping or exploring the coast line.

I think some people rely to much on the thought that they have an AIS transmitter - so everyone will see them.
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2013, 17:10   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Hello All

I've had the Advansea AIS TR200 fitted on my RIB since summer 2012 and very happy with it. Well suited to a RIB given its size and waterproofness and integrates well with my Garmin 451S for display and proximity alarms.

Have valued it most when operating at night so can seen - and be seen by - the many ferries, cruise ships and tankers moving about, to avoid any collisions and also avaoid large wakes in the dark. Also reassuring in fog, when used with all the other safety equipment and measures.

Also gives reassurance to my partner when out on my own, to see me pootling about on Marine Traffic:
SKYLARK - Pleasure Craft: current position and details | MMSI 235091893, Callsign 2FJW7 | Registered in United Kingdom - AIS Marine Traffic

Plus just very interesting to see what shipping is about anyway, and indeed prompted me to setup up an AIS base station at home to improve class B coverage around here and our community slip. Thanks to Marine Traffic for providing the SLR200N unit FOC in return for hosting the device and sending the data to them via my broadband connection.

Details for AIS station Mull Head Deerness Orkney - AIS Marine Traffic

Comar Systems SLR 200N / SLR 200NG

I looked at an rx only unit, but because this Class B transponder was £399, the extra seemed worth it. From looking just now that seemed to be a very good price, esp 18 months ago.

Unit works 100% and would buy again.

See also thread: http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/current...s-48344-2.html

Maybe Santa will have got you one :o)

Steve
Old 24 December 2013, 17:15   #18
RIBnet supporter

PS - I did look at the:

AMEC CAMINO-101 Class B AIS transponder

£275GBP but then shipping from USA and antenna to add - but worth a look if the next option is over £500.

Or £335 for the:
Comar CSB 200 Class B AIS Transponder

Hope this helps

Steve

Steve
Old 24 December 2013, 17:57   #19

Town: Galway
Boat name: Top Banana
Make: Scorpion 9m
Engine: Yamaha 421STI
MMSI: Yeah right!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copinsay View Post
Hello All

I've had the Advansea AIS TR200 fitted on my RIB since summer 2012 and very happy with it. Well suited to a RIB given its size and waterproofness and integrates well with my Garmin 451S for display and proximity alarms.

Have valued it most when operating at night so can seen - and be seen by - the many ferries, cruise ships and tankers moving about, to avoid any collisions and also avaoid large wakes in the dark. Also reassuring in fog, when used with all the other safety equipment and measures.

Also gives reassurance to my partner when out on my own, to see me pootling about on Marine Traffic:
SKYLARK - Pleasure Craft: current position and details | MMSI 235091893, Callsign 2FJW7 | Registered in United Kingdom - AIS Marine Traffic

Plus just very interesting to see what shipping is about anyway, and indeed prompted me to setup up an AIS base station at home to improve class B coverage around here and our community slip. Thanks to Marine Traffic for providing the SLR200N unit FOC in return for hosting the device and sending the data to them via my broadband connection.

Details for AIS station Mull Head Deerness Orkney - AIS Marine Traffic

Comar Systems SLR 200N / SLR 200NG

I looked at an rx only unit, but because this Class B transponder was £399, the extra seemed worth it. From looking just now that seemed to be a very good price, esp 18 months ago.

Unit works 100% and would buy again.

See also thread: http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/current...s-48344-2.html

Maybe Santa will have got you one :o)

Steve
Very interesting post.

Firstly, as someone who consults Marinetraffic on a daily basis it's great to find someone who has 'custody' of one of their shore stations. Excellent service although I wish some of the 'Armchair Admirals' I answer in to professionally had never heard of it!

Secondly, I've just looked up the price of the TR200 unit and am gobsmacked that it's north of £650 (Bainbridge marine)

Finally, the idea of my missus tracking me on Marinetraffic is just a step too far. Not that I'd be worried she'd sus me doing anything utoward (honestly) but she wouldn't notice that the info she's looking at hadn't been updated for (say) 30 mins and the next thing I know I'd have a Severn Class up my ass or Rescue 122 hovering overhead.

She has a tendency to over-react.
Old 24 December 2013, 18:23   #20
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrowboy View Post
She has a tendency to over-react.
Just shows she cares - or you are well insured :o)

Works for us as my Partner boats and is AIS (and DSC etc for that matter) savvy, so knows that "no signal" is not to cause worry... just that moving signal is confirmation of good, but not moving does not = in trouble. And knows other ways to check I'm OK if concerned.

Yep - £399 for the unit was a bargain - can't find it under £500 now.

I too was amazed that Marine Traffic supplied the £400+ base station unit, but I made a documented case that showed there was a gap in converge to the east of Orkney... Which also nicely coincided with where I go out most frequently :o)

Glad that helped.

Steve