Click Here to Login

Old 22 December 2019, 19:32   #1

Town: Newby Bridge
Boat name: Alfie
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp
Advice needed re depth sounder/speedometer

I've just bought a RIB but it doesn't have a depth sounder nor a speedo, just wondering if anyone could suggest a unit that does both? I found one that NASA make but it looks like it has to be sunk into the console whereas I'm looking for one that comes with a mount that can be attached to the top of the console. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Fred
Old 22 December 2019, 20:05   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Go for a chartplotter sounder with maps look at force four chandlers should be some deals on lowrance hook 2 are a good unit easy to use just make sure you get the transducer and maps
Old 22 December 2019, 20:39   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Avoid NASA gear like the plague.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2019, 21:36   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
I would look for a Garmin or Lowrance combination unit with an externally fixed transducer. After Xmas there may be a few sales reducing costs. Also if you are after a budget bargain simply keep your eye out for someone who has to keep upgrading every time the latest model comes out. Here in Australia due to the amount of boaters we have, secondhand units are pretty worthless.
Old 23 December 2019, 19:24   #5

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Three Girls
Make: Zodiac 550 Pro
Engine: O/B Yamaha 50hp
A Chartplotter is much better than seperate units. The price difference both new and used is worth the extra functionallity of a plotter/fishfinder. I had a Garmin 405s on my 5.5m rib. Which worked beautifully once i had installed the external transducer correctly, and also applied a layer of antifoul to the active lower surface. One small barnacle growing on that surface caused it to mis-read, especially at higher speeds
Old 28 December 2019, 11:46   #6

Town: Cork
Boat name: Cúr na dDonnta
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
I like the compactness of a combined plotter and sounder but overall I prefer them separate for a few reasons. First full screen on both is usually required when you really need them and checking depth and bottom profile is a great way to reassure yourself you are where the plotter says you are . You can do this on a combo spot screen but on a 5” screen it’s all very small, add a few rain drops or dried out salt splashes and you may spend longer than you want squinting at the screen instead of looking where you’re going.
Another issue is independence. If a fuse goes or a power lead vibrates off, a plotter or a sounder gives you something to work with rather than losing the lot.
That said, the sonar display on a combo unit is much better than your typical gray scale fish finder display.
A lot will come down to the space you have to fit and how much you have to spend. Don’t rule out a phone/tablet in a waterproof case running Navionics charts either!
Old 28 December 2019, 14:09   #7

Town: Falmouth
Boat name: Three Girls
Make: Zodiac 550 Pro
Engine: O/B Yamaha 50hp
Having had my 405s for 5 years on a 5.5m rib, ii cannot agree with most of your comments.
However, i did not have the space to fit a chatplotter and independant depth sounder display. I shirked away from a speed display as tge paddle wheel jams up very quickly with sea lice, and can be a pain to un-jam. The SOG from the plotter is much more useful.
My plotter could be configured in instrument mode which gave large readouts, at the expense of no chart.
At the end of the day i was more interested in what i might be running into, not what was directly below me. The 2m audible alarm gave me a good indication when i got there.
Fuses dont blow at random, unless the wiring is poorly installed, a common cause.

So if you have the space, fit a plotter and a depthsounder.
Old 28 December 2019, 18:45   #8

Town: Newby Bridge
Boat name: Alfie
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 50hp
Thanks for all the advice. I should have pointed out though that I'm only using my RIB on a lake so a chartplotter isn't any use to me so it would need to be a unit simply for depth and speed I'd be looking for.
Old 08 January 2020, 17:06   #9

Town: Tyne and Wear
Make: RC 4.8 & Aero380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50 & 20
I use a raymarine wifish with ipad mini. Used it last year and was ready to bin it but persevered and set up the transducer differently and it now reads at all speeds and works perfectly with Navionics.
I couldn't say its better than a dedicated unit but if you already have an ipad it could work out a cheaper way of doing it?
I've got View Ranger maps on it also so its handy if hill walking etc..
Old 08 January 2020, 21:00   #10

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daibheid View Post
I like the compactness of a combined plotter and sounder but overall I prefer them separate for a few reasons. First full screen on both is usually required when you really need them and checking depth and bottom profile is a great way to reassure yourself you are where the plotter says you are . You can do this on a combo spot screen but on a 5” screen it’s all very small, add a few rain drops or dried out salt splashes and you may spend longer than you want squinting at the screen instead of looking where you’re going.
Another issue is independence. If a fuse goes or a power lead vibrates off, a plotter or a sounder gives you something to work with rather than losing the lot.
That said, the sonar display on a combo unit is much better than your typical gray scale fish finder display.
A lot will come down to the space you have to fit and how much you have to spend. Don’t rule out a phone/tablet in a waterproof case running Navionics charts either!
+1

I've got two plotter/sounders for backup but I still use a separate sounder for down-imaging. Biggest screen you can fit/afford and having both Garmin and Humminbird and previously owned Lowrance my pick would be Humminbird every time