Old 14 March 2015, 14:30   #1

Town: Chester
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: Osprey Vipermax 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Etec 200 HO
MMSI: 235114488
Accutroll fuel flow meter

Anyone got any experience with Accutroll flow meters? Have one fitted but it doesn't work any ideas on what I should look at first?? Cheers
Old 14 March 2015, 23:47   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMW View Post
Anyone got any experience with Accutroll flow meters? Have one fitted but it doesn't work any ideas on what I should look at first?? Cheers
No idea about the flow meters, what engine is it connected to?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2015, 12:44   #3

Hi it's connected to the fuel line and a Suzuki DF140. I'm not sure how it works but measures fuel consumption in litres/hr so would be quite useful. Think I will try to strip it down and contact Accutroll for some help, cheers
Old 16 March 2015, 12:50   #4

RIBase
Quote:
Hi it's connected to the fuel line and a Suzuki DF140. I'm not sure how it works but measures fuel consumption in litres/hr so would be quite useful. Think I will try to strip it down and contact Accutroll for some help, cheers
Depending on which model of DF140 it is, you might not need the Accutroll. In-line flow meters are notoriously inaccurate & problematic. If your DF140 is NMEA 2000 compatible, you should be able to get very accurate fuel flow data straight from the engine ecu & bin the flow meter.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 16 March 2015, 13:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Depending on which model of DF140 it is, you might not need the Accutroll. In-line flow meters are notoriously inaccurate & problematic. If your DF140 is NMEA 2000 compatible, you should be able to get very accurate fuel flow data straight from the engine ecu & bin the flow meter.

Thanks Dave, how would I know whether it was NMEA 2000 compatible (it's a 2006 model) and then how would I get the information from the ecu. I'm assuming I would need another Suzuki dial? As you can see I'm a complete novice when it comes to engines and especially electronics!!!
Cheers
Old 16 March 2015, 14:13   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks Dave, how would I know whether it was NMEA 2000 compatible (it's a 2006 model) and then how would I get the information from the ecu. I'm assuming I would need another Suzuki dial? As you can see I'm a complete novice when it comes to engines and especially electronics!!!
Cheers
You could ring Suzuki customer services on 0500 011 959 & give them the engine & model number & they should be able to tell you if its NMEA2k compliant or not. If it is, you will need to install a NMEA2K network on your boat if you haven't already, don't worry, it isn't as daunting as it sounds. This will allow you to get all sorts of info from your engine & display it on a NMEA2K plotter (if you have one) Info like MPG/fuel remaining/range on current fuel remaining/engine temps/battery voltages/oil pressure etc. It all depends on what you have already got installed on the boat as to how much it will cost. The fuel data is VERY accurate as it is direct from the ECU. AFAIK 2006 was around the time of the transition to NMEA2K, it certainly was with Evinrude so I assume that Suzi was around the same time, you might get lucky
Old 16 March 2015, 19:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
You could ring Suzuki customer services on 0500 011 959 & give them the engine & model number & they should be able to tell you if its NMEA2k compliant or not. If it is, you will need to install a NMEA2K network on your boat if you haven't already, don't worry, it isn't as daunting as it sounds. This will allow you to get all sorts of info from your engine & display it on a NMEA2K plotter (if you have one) Info like MPG/fuel remaining/range on current fuel remaining/engine temps/battery voltages/oil pressure etc. It all depends on what you have already got installed on the boat as to how much it will cost. The fuel data is VERY accurate as it is direct from the ECU. AFAIK 2006 was around the time of the transition to NMEA2K, it certainly was with Evinrude so I assume that Suzi was around the same time, you might get lucky

Dave, Much appreciated I will call Suzuki and let you know how I get on. I've got a Lowrance HD7 plotter so I'll check that to see if it is NMEA2K compliant. Hopefully I'll be lucky! Really appreciate your time. Cheers
Old 16 March 2015, 19:27   #8

Quote:
Dave, Much appreciated I will call Suzuki and let you know how I get on. I've got a Lowrance HD7 plotter so I'll check that to see if it is NMEA2K compliant. Hopefully I'll be lucky! Really appreciate your time. Cheers

Just checked on the the web and it would appear that both my engine and plotter are NMEAK2 compliant so with the right connector I should be able to set it up. I can also get some digital dials which will allow me to replace the current needle dials which are full of condensation that I can get rid of. Thanks again for your help! Now to decide what I do with the hole in the console when I remove the Accutroll.
Old 16 March 2015, 19:46   #9

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I've actually got a 4" SMIS gauge here for sale. I contacted Browns Point Marine in the US as to whether my DF140 was compatible with the SMIS, apparently it is but it supplies limited infor due to its year (2003).

They sent an email with all the necessary items required to use both the smis and chart plotter to supply engine info. It worked out at about £300 +shipping.

Google the SMIS gauges, its quite a bit of kit.
Old 16 March 2015, 21:02   #10

i don't know about that meter but i have just recently installed NMEA on my sooz 200 with analog gauges, you don't need the new SMIS guages if you have a suitable chartplotter.

you need to make sure of a few things when your ordering the kit to do this, assuming your sooz is compatible. when i first installed the kit i was getting 21 gallons per hour at idle fuel usage!!!eeek

you need to make sure you get the smis cable with the correct firmware. when suzuki first sent mine i had v2.8, you will need v2.9 for accurate fuel readings. I don't know why but only v2.3 and v2.9 seem to work for fuel readings. you may also need a adapter cable, this will depend on the engine you have though.

brill thread with a lot of info-

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-e...-can-done.html

cheers
Old 16 March 2015, 21:32   #11

RIBase
Pah! There goes a sale!

When you say adaptor do you mean the K8?

I'm led to believe from BPM that only 2008> required the adaptor?
Old 16 March 2015, 21:43   #12

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Pah! There goes a sale!

When you say adaptor do you mean the K8?

I'm led to believe from BPM that only 2008> required the adaptor?
The SMIS will fill the hole nicely though
Old 16 March 2015, 21:50   #13

Hey A1an,

Sorry buddy, certainly not my intention to interrupt a sale. Just pointing out there is a LOT of mis-info about on doing this....including from suzuki as my own experience proves. if the OP doesn't have a plotter than i'd recommend the gauge....just so happens i know where one is for sale!

depending on the age of the motor will depend on the type of SMIS connector the motor has. I have the new square plug, older engines have a round port if memory serves (i didn't pay a lot of attention to it as it didn't apply to my engine i have to admit, so double check). you may need a gender change cable to the SMIS adapter to whack it into a suitable chartplotter.

i have my sooz connected to my garmin 750 and 551s, i'm currently doing accuracy tests but the numbers seem in the ball park anyway....note....the piccy has the plotter set to USA gallons, it is therefore over reading. I changed it today but you get idea. i did wonder why the 551 was showing 1 gallon ish per hour less than the 750

the cheapest way to get NMEA seems to be a garmin network starter kit if that matters to anyone.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150314_170136.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	103633  
Old 16 March 2015, 21:55   #14

RIBase
That's exactly what I want to do with mine.

Unfortunately I've spent more on this "cheap" boat than I care to admit to the wife, spunking ANOTHER £350 into it at the minute is a non starter.

Maybe next year.
Old 16 March 2015, 22:06   #15

I have only used it for maybe 20 miles thus far but it is quite handy if you're going out for a while as one click of trim could result in a few litres more/less fuel an hour.

it is more accurate than watching the speed/rev gauge on their own to find the sweet spot.

TBH, the main reason i done this is the fuel guage on the ribcraft is crap, as soon as you hit the laughing stick the needle goes to half a tank from full.

the only thing i need to do is get the trim working, that is still working via the analog gauge just now.

hope this helps the OP out anyway.

cheers
Old 17 March 2015, 10:54   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Hey A1an,

Sorry buddy, certainly not my intention to interrupt a sale. Just pointing out there is a LOT of mis-info about on doing this....including from suzuki as my own experience proves. if the OP doesn't have a plotter than i'd recommend the gauge....just so happens i know where one is for sale!

depending on the age of the motor will depend on the type of SMIS connector the motor has. I have the new square plug, older engines have a round port if memory serves (i didn't pay a lot of attention to it as it didn't apply to my engine i have to admit, so double check). you may need a gender change cable to the SMIS adapter to whack it into a suitable chartplotter.

i have my sooz connected to my garmin 750 and 551s, i'm currently doing accuracy tests but the numbers seem in the ball park anyway....note....the piccy has the plotter set to USA gallons, it is therefore over reading. I changed it today but you get idea. i did wonder why the 551 was showing 1 gallon ish per hour less than the 750

the cheapest way to get NMEA seems to be a garmin network starter kit if that matters to anyone.

cheers

Thanks for your input - I've got a chart plotter that is NMEA compliant so could use this or put in the digital gauge to fill the hole left by the Accutroll. Lowrance do an NMEA starter kit which I can pick up for £50ish and I'll have to find out which connector I need for the Suzuki. How easy a job is it?
Old 17 March 2015, 10:56   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I've actually got a 4" SMIS gauge here for sale. I contacted Browns Point Marine in the US as to whether my DF140 was compatible with the SMIS, apparently it is but it supplies limited infor due to its year (2003).

They sent an email with all the necessary items required to use both the smis and chart plotter to supply engine info. It worked out at about £300 +shipping.

Google the SMIS gauges, its quite a bit of kit.

Hi what do you want for it?? Do you have any pics and would it be 2006 compliant? cheers
Old 17 March 2015, 18:26   #18

What plotter do you have?

Also, do you know what connection is on the engine?

It isn't difficult to do no.

Cheers
Old 17 March 2015, 19:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
What plotter do you have?

Also, do you know what connection is on the engine?

It isn't difficult to do no.

Cheers

Hi I've got a Lowrance HDS 7 and I'm not sure about they engine connection yet! I'll check at the weekend. What kit will I need? Cheers
Old 17 March 2015, 19:57   #20

i believe you don't even need an NMEA network to connect the HDS7 up to the sooz, i'm sure i read you can just plug it right into the back of the unit somewhere as lowrance make all suzuki gauges. let me do some checking and i'll let you know.

well, simrad make some now too but they are spank new.

cheers