Old 24 August 2006, 10:43   #21
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
I've always been very pleased with Garmin tech support in the past. It’s always been easy to get through on the phone and problems have been sorted very quickly.

However, recently it’s been appalling. For a start getting hold of them on the phone is a right pain and their stupid phone system doesn't help. It puts you back to the beginning of the system after 10 mins, whether you’re in a cue waiting or on hold!!

They also have no fault logging system at current (about to change I believe) so every time you ring up about the same fault you have to go through describing what kit you have, the whole problem again and what they tried last time to fix it!

So 2 weeks after the boat was delivered my Garmin Network (2x GPSMAP 3005C's, GSD20, GPS 17) stopped working correctly. It’s taken 4.5 months of the 5 month I’ve owned the boat to get it all sorted. To be fair they did keep swapping bits out and asking me to try things - in the end they swapped the whole lot for new stuff. But 4.5 months is crazy.

I ended up calling the sales director who then got a Support Associate to personally deal with the problem.

Hopefully my newly replaced network will continue to work correctly.
Old 25 August 2006, 17:18   #22

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Nothing arrived yet so I phoned Garmin again and had to wait about 20 mins to get through. Was told that the software update was sent yesterday, but they didn't have a power lead in stock, so couldn't send one. They'll try to get one and send it to me, hopefully by the end of next week. So Garmin don't stock Garmin power leads - I ask you.
What use is a software uprade if I can't power-up the unit?
Tossers.
Old 18 September 2006, 21:07   #23

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Ah ....... not enough patience
I sent an e-mail two weeks ..................>>>>>.................... I got an RMA number to send my 320C back with an anti-reflective coating fault.
Will let you know how quick they can turn it around.
Jeff

Rang Garmin twice last week to check progress and got through both times after a couple of attempts >> Just received a new 320C
Delay was because they had to ship from the States ( being a discontinued model).
Jeff
Old 23 September 2006, 22:11   #24

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 90hp
30 mins is typical time to wait in my experience before being able to speak to anyone. I eventually got the tech support guys direct email address and did a lot of it over email which was lot easier - eventually got a return number.

Quality of support when you finally get to speak to someone does seem good, but getting there can be slow and frustrating.
Old 24 September 2006, 09:23   #25

Town: Hong Kong
Make: Walker Bay Genesis
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 25
I had a similar problem with Garmin when trying to contact Customer Services/Technical Support. Kept on hold interminably. Not amusing as calling from Hong Kong to UK.

Disconnected and tried their sales number and got through immediately. I explained I really needed Technical Support. Sales took my HK number. Within 30 minutes Technical Support called me. Dealt with the problem (I had been given wrong 'unlock key' for Blue Chart), gave me new key over the phone and sent it with further instructions by e-mail immediately.

Fantastic.
Old 04 May 2007, 11:02   #26

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Another big thumbs up for Garmin.

Our 3 year old GPS/Sounder 188c failed to power up a week ago. Rang Garmin who were just moving from Romsey to brand new offices in Totton, Southampton so just a little busy. Gave me a job number and agreed I could drop it in. Very impressive building just off the Marchwood bypass. Quoted £126 for repair or replace depending on condition when they took it apart.

Parcel turned up this morning at home, brand new Garmin 188c inside and they even remembered to put my blue chart in the new unit from the old one. Phoned Garmin to say thank you and was there a bill, told not to worry

Excellent service and therefore now likely to buy a Garmin colour fish finder rather than Lowrance

Pete