Old 12 July 2019, 08:02   #21

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
Just do the course! It’s 1 day out of your life and a saddo like me quite enjoyed it even after using vhfs on ships for years.
Weirdly, nobody worried about having a license if you were an engineer.
I don’t think anyone’s ever actually been fined though.
I understand the course is now two days - used to be 1 then the RYA changed the syllabus and duration. I heard this was on the cards and a friend and I took the one day course just before the change - found it quite interesting, quite a lot of emphasis on emergency protocols and the use of DSC.
If my kids go off on paddle boards or our tender then there'll take one of the spare handhelds - just in case
Old 12 July 2019, 09:38   #22

Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
It certainly is, because your post contains information which misrepresents the situation.

You seem to have muddled the Ship Radio License and the Operators "License" (SRC Certificate). The former is free of charge, generates the call sign and MMSI and requires no proof of competence for the owner. It also records various details about the vessel but as far as I know that information is not readily available to the MCGA so suggesting it is means people are less likely to use the recommended (SafeTrx app) method of sharing these details.

Operating a VHF radio without "Operators License" is permitted in an emergency. There is an explicit exemption in law for it. Telling people that this is not the case is misleading and might discourage someone from calling the CG early when a problem develops - that puts lives at risk so please don't mislead people like this.
I have not been able to find the exemption but would agree it makes sense if there was one, however take all this in context with the original thread and comments made, there is a difference between someone other than the owner making an emergency call and the owner who may have deliberately not bothered to get any form of licensing for the radios or an operators licence, im just suggesting ofcom might get shirty if deliberately the owner has not made any attempt at registering and licensing.
Old 12 July 2019, 17:39   #23
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
I have not been able to find the exemption but would agree it makes sense if there was one,
it’s on the T&Cs of your license (clause 12, on page 2 of this document: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse...ship-terms.pdf) but I seem to recall it’s expressly included in law also.

Quote:
however take all this in context with the original thread and comments made, there is a difference between someone other than the owner making an emergency call and the owner who may have deliberately not bothered to get any form of licensing for the radios or an operators licence,
nobody has suggested not filling in the free form to get a ships radio license. You’ll notice that there are other exemptions - like if it is only used on M/M2. The law does not make the distinction you are suggesting it does about the intent behind not having a certificate of competence.
Quote:
im just suggesting ofcom might get shirty if deliberately the owner has not made any attempt at registering and licensing.

Ofcom really aren’t going to get shorty, they’ve not had teams of people out doing inspection or enforcement of Marine radios since they stopped being called the Radio Agency, and you had to pay for a ships radio license. They are interested in people abusing radio frequencies (pirate radio, badly made diy radio transceivers, potentially dodgy uncertified imports etc).
Old 12 July 2019, 19:16   #24

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Ofcom are even less interested in gangster films
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2019, 19:36   #25
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Ofcom are even less interested in gangster films
Bruce sees them as the Heat, but we know they're really Goodfellas, not interested in the Usual Suspects...
Old 12 July 2019, 21:54   #26

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
When did vhf become 2 days?

MMSI is issued free to anyone who requests one.

Cobra handheld with Bluetooth is handy for these situations....
Old 13 July 2019, 07:25   #27

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
From a brief look at schools in my area, the VHF course is still advertised as one day.
Old 13 July 2019, 07:35   #28

Town: Wirral, Merseyside
Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude 200hp
MMSI: 235109239
RIBase
VHF course now online

You can do the course online although some schools still do a classroom course. Most of your local Sea Schools should do the online course.
Prices vary from £80 to £120. Go at your own pace then when you’ve done all the modules you print out the course completion certificate and contact the nominated Examiner to arrange the classroom type exam for which you pay £60. People pass quite easily so it does work. What price your life or those of your passengers.
Old 13 July 2019, 10:16   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyC View Post
From a brief look at schools in my area, the VHF course is still advertised as one day.

I think they are “getting round it” by saying you have to do three hrs home study before you come (no idea how verified) and then the exam is no longer part of the 7.5 hrs (or whatever it used to be) long course?
Old 13 July 2019, 11:39   #30

Town: Ormskirk
Boat name: Viktor
Make: Avon Sr4
Engine: Mercury 50 / 2hp ele
I did my course a few weeks back it was only 1 day. Yes you can use the radio in a genuine emergency without the licence but the course does clear up what your supposed to say. The test is pretty hard to fail tbh too! Bonus from mine I got discount on a handheld vhf too through the course!