Old 16 September 2004, 08:48   #41

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Manos,

Just a thought but what about getting a Merc Optimax 250XS or even a Promax 300. I don't know the cost of any of these, but they must be worth a look anyway, especially if you want to stay with 2-stroke as they are the only new-tech Merc 2-stroke in the 250-300 power band.

There's also a new Optimax 2.5XS coming out and its gonna be a V8!!

Worth a mention here anyway.

http://www.marinautic.ltd.uk/ are the UK dealers for High Perfomance Mercurys, they kit out all the Mercury powered Pascoe Ribs.
Old 16 September 2004, 08:57   #42

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Thanks for the info swginn. I also had Mercs in mind
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2004, 13:39   #43
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Surely there is a bit of a difference between a 40hp and a 225efi???
Probably about 35 knots depending on what you put it on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Obviously it will drink a lot - but then so does any 225 outboard! As to difficult starting never seen any other complaints - our local dive club runs a 200 and a 150 and they love them - 2 plugs per cylinder is bound to help!
Two plugs per cylinder will help but its just that every Suzuki I ve ever driven sound very rough (except for the four strokes). The two strokes are good, reliable old-tech outboards but are just a bit agricultural. Assuming you got it for a good price it should provide you with a very reliable outboard without the expensive purchase price.
You have to admit though the cowling does'nt look as sexy as an opti!
Old 16 September 2004, 13:46   #44

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS
Probably about 35 knots depending on what you put it on!

Two plugs per cylinder will help but its just that every Suzuki I ve ever driven sound very rough (except for the four strokes). The two strokes are good, reliable old-tech outboards but are just a bit agricultural. Assuming you got it for a good price it should provide you with a very reliable outboard without the expensive purchase price.
You have to admit though the cowling does'nt look as sexy as an opti!
Very true - what does dissapoint but is really a good thing is how small the 225 looks compared to the optis and especially the 4 strokes - it looks more like a bloody 125 or something!

Obviously the smaller and lighter an engine the better but it does look so weedy compared to modern 4 strokes - until you whack open the throttle that is!!!
Old 16 September 2004, 14:15   #45

Town: Hamble
Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
Manos,

There's also a new Optimax 2.5XS coming out and its gonna be a V8!!
Erm, well actually, NO it's not!

http://www.mercurymarine.com/2.5xs
Old 16 September 2004, 14:57   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
Erm, well actually, NO it's not!
I think you'll find, actually, YES it is!!

Well the link you posted is to the current Optimax 2.5XS. However I did say that there will be a new one coming out soon, and it is in fact a V8. Links below, first one is from the Official Mercury Europe website

http://www.marinepower.com/WebSite/M...7?OpenDocument

http://www.ibinews.com/ibinews/newsd...26ibinews.html

http://www.bymnews.com/cgi-bin/datac...rticleID=2806/
Old 16 September 2004, 15:34   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by swginn
I think you'll find, actually, YES it is!!
I hope so too, and I first read about it being a V8 last month on the IBI website, but I've been reliably (I believe) informed that it's a v6. Just have to wait and see!
Old 16 September 2004, 15:38   #48

Shamelessly nicked from Scream & Fly:

Mercury Racing Releases All-New OptiMax 2.5XS Outboard

July 29, 2004

FOND DU LAC, WI. – Mercury Racing is pleased to announce the release of the all-new OptiMax 2.5XS outboard. Designed for smaller, lightweight boats (flats, bass, vee bottom and catamaran sportboats), the custom-built engine features a compact 2.5 liter, V-6 OptiMax powerhead mounted on a 20-inch, 3.0 liter center section and gearcase. The compact V-6 powerhead saves weight on the overall package, enhancing boat performance and fuel economy.

It is the first of next generation low-emissions outboards to replace the legendary 2.5 EFI Series, which will be discontinued at the end of the 2005 model year. The direct fuel-injected powerhead is full of race-inspired features including Mercury Racing pistons, cylinder heads and air intake system with carbon fiber reeds. The Mercury exclusive PCM 03 microprocessor provides the ability to optimize fuel, spark timing and knock control for each cylinder independently, enhancing engine running quality and performance. The PCM 03 also operates the electronic multipoint lubrication system. The SmartCraft Control Area Network (CAN) system, a network of sensors and actuators, proactively monitors and controls multiple engine functions. This system also enables the PCM 03 microprocessor to provide real-time engine function data to accessory SmartCraft gauges, including speed, RPM, engine trim level, fuel consumption and range.

Unlike other DFI systems, OptiMax uses an exclusive 2-stage process. A burst of air (at 90 psi) shoots through the fuel, breaking it into a fine mist. This fine mist creates more surface area for combustion and stays suspended in the cylinder longer, resulting ina more consistent and complete burn. The 2.5XS features a higher air/fuel pressure differential than production engines, enhancing running quality.

The 2.5XS features an exhaust adapter plate ,built-in appendages for mounting after market steering wing plates. Models come with the new Mercury Racing rigging tube kit. The kit features a larger 2-1/2-inch size for fitting all electronic cables, steering cables and fuel lines. The durable hose threads onto the one-piece couplers - providing a complete seal at both the engine and boat.

Models are available with a 20-inch (508 mm) center section and either a right-hand rotation 1.87:1 Sport Master gearcase or 2:1 Torque Master gearcase. The OptiMax 2.5XS comes with a 2-year warranty and a 2-star CARB emissions rating.
Old 16 September 2004, 16:55   #49

Sense says it is probably a V6 and Mercury have just made a mistake with some website info. I would imagine a V8 is probably too heavy for marine outboard use. Would sound very nice though!!

Either way I'd like to hear one at 6800rpm, thats a lot of revs, especially for a 2-stroke!! looks nice too

It would still be nice if they made a V8 though wouldn't it!!
Old 16 September 2004, 17:32   #50

You need to have heard an OMC F1 V8 at full chat!
Old 23 September 2004, 18:28   #51

Town: Drøbak
Boat name: RedDevil
Make: Rupert
Length: 8m +
Engine: Blown VMAX 250 HPDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
Hi Petrov
Yamaha are giving you BULLSHIT big time. I really do know that they are having massive problems with the 250 HPDI motors and the dealers and HPDI engineers have got their hands in the air. I spoke to an HPDI engineer very recently who said himself they are a nightmare and he would not have one himself knowing the major grief they are having with them. Yamaha, come out of the closet and admit the major problems and start giving your customers some proper support before you recieve some very bad press !!!
Have a look at my Yamaha story...
Rib gallery - "What rib is this"

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....2&page=3&pp=10

SO DON'T BUY ANYTHING WITH ALL OF THE 3 WORDS: YAMAHA - HPDI - 3,3 LITRE (250 and 300 Hp). A friend of mine (also Rib Charter) experienced just the same problems...

And I can't understand how Yamaha have managed to keep this secret?
I was a loyal customer for a long time... but 3 blown engines later I am not..

Honda 225 4-stroke next time.

Ketil**
Old 26 September 2004, 21:30   #52

Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
Really don't go to Honda 225. One guy around here had them in his RIB and used to charter the boat. The business went pretty bad since the engines were down almost all the time. Honda experiences are very bad indeed. Have you seen big Hondas in commercial heavy-duty boats? No. Wonder why?

If you want a very reliable engines, Yamaha F225 seems to be one of the potential choises. I know the HPDI problems, but I have also proved over 1000h of trouble-free F225-hours in different boats. Not in my hands, but I have seen how the engines work like swiss watch in friends' boats.

BTW, do you mean Yamaha V-Max HPDI 250 or ordinary HPDI 250s when speaking about big problems? I mean there has been no report of ordinary HPDI 250 going down but as far as I have seen, V-Max HPDI 250 is in the same class as HPDI 300.
Old 27 September 2004, 07:41   #53

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Engine: Plenty
Quote:
I mean there has been no report of ordinary HPDI 250 going down but as far as I have seen
Oh yes, many probs, try search 250 hpdi on google for example, you will find many probs with both 250 and 300 hpdi.
Old 03 October 2004, 22:47   #54

Town: Huizen
Boat name: BLIZZARDand COBRA
Make: TORNADO 5.8 and 6.5
Length: no boat
Engine: hpdi150 en 2.5 260
are there also problem with te 150 and 200 2.6 ltr ??

the 150 and 200 yamaha hpdi run good i have many hours without problems

are there some out there having problems with them ?

yamaha f 250 is coming and mercury verado 300 presurized 4stroke

if you want reliabilitie buy an engine that prooft itself

z200 f225 250ox66efi

maybe you can give them back the 2 300s and ask for 3 200 hpdi engines

good luck
Old 19 October 2004, 20:10   #55

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
I have been looking at all the threads on this engine thing with great interest
I am about to order an 8.5mts rib and have been thinking long and hard about the engine as i want to keep this boat long term 5/6 years i have always had Yamaha
and i have been running a F225 four stroke on a cobra 7.5 which as never missed a beat and fuel consumption at 35 kts is 1 and a quarter liters per mile
two up on a cruise full tank we do about 100 hours a season mostly water sking and short hops around the solent but next year we want to cruise over to France and the Channel Islands.
I was looking at Honda 225hp with the 5 year warrenty or a Suzuki 250hp
As this is a big investment for us i want to get it right. every body i talk to that have a Suzuki say it the best same for the honda I am not looking for the fastest just reliability and back up should some thing go wrong, am i looking for the impossible.Would realy appreciate some feed back
Roy.
Old 19 October 2004, 20:14   #56

Quote:
the 150 and 200 yamaha hpdi run good i have many hours without problems
Thank`s for advice.
I had a 200HPDI, running hours around 350 in 5 months without one single problem, that`s why i went for the 300HPDI.
Tji got i, they are for sale, someone interested
Its not possible to return them unfortunetly.

Quote:
I was looking at Honda 225hp with the 5 year warrenty or a Suzuki 250hp
Why not the new 250 fourstroke, you can get a 5 year warranty at Yamaha also?
Old 19 October 2004, 20:29   #57

Did not know about 250 Yamaha (four stroke) I thought in UK you only get a 2 year warrenty
Old 19 October 2004, 20:44   #58

The F250 is coming out as it looks now in beginning of june 2005.
Cant find the link now but i read somewere on Yamahas homepage that you can transfarable (do you spell like that) from 2 to 5 years after the first 2 years.
I think they go into engine and se enginehours and how the engine has been used and then you can get the 5 year.
I think it was on the american site but it should be the same over the world.
I can be wrong but this was how i understod it.
Check it up at your closest dealer, they should know.

Maybe someone els here know?
Old 19 October 2004, 21:09   #59

Whats your thoughts on the Honda and Suzuki
Old 20 October 2004, 06:34   #60

No experience of the Honda, have a friend that uses the Honda and he had some probs with them, Suz is great, we have been driving the 250 Suz for around 350 hours without any problems.