Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 18 June 2017, 11:50   #1

Make: Zodiac Pro Open
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F100D
Yamaha - Top flush and bottom flush?

If you use the top flush attachment on a Yamaha OB, do you need to use muffs on the bottom as well?

Surely it's a common cooling water system and if your telltale is good then there is no problem?
Old 18 June 2017, 12:30   #2

Town: dyffryn
Boat name: viper 1
Make: osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 140 suzuki
MMSI: 2305092099
Top flush is designed to be used without the engine not running so water is not flowing through the upper waterways so best to flush with muffs and engine running
Old 18 June 2017, 12:35   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Must admit I use the flush adaptor point on my Suzuki just for interim flushing... but at the end of a holiday or before putting away for the winter I always flush running in a container. I like to think with warmed coolant and everything running it does a better job.
Old 18 June 2017, 19:55   #4

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigg View Post
Top flush is designed to be used without the engine not running so water is not flowing through the upper waterways so best to flush with muffs and engine running
is that right? i thought the top flush flushed everything without the engine running?
Old 18 June 2017, 23:05   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
If you have a Yamaha outboard service book it explains the upper flush mount doesn't flush the entire powerhead, muffs or a silly bucket is needed to do a full flush. When using the muffs or bucket with the engine running at a certain point once warm the thermostat opens allowing water to flush the parts the upper flush doesn't. Also all the Yamaha mechanics I've ever used state not to over rev and engine while muffs are on.

I use a product called saltaway with a special dispenser to help remove all the salt but if your engine is used almost daily it's harder for salt to build up.

Yamaha have videos on YouTube explains this.
Old 19 June 2017, 04:33   #6

Town: hampshire
Length: 7m +
flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
If you have a Yamaha outboard service book it explains the upper flush mount doesn't flush the entire powerhead, muffs or a silly bucket is needed to do a full flush. When using the muffs or bucket with the engine running at a certain point once warm the thermostat opens allowing water to flush the parts the upper flush doesn't. Also all the Yamaha mechanics I've ever used state not to over rev and engine while muffs are on.

I use a product called saltaway with a special dispenser to help remove all the salt but if your engine is used almost daily it's harder for salt to build up.

Yamaha have videos on YouTube explains this.
cheers, i've been religiously flushing after every use on the top flush, just as well i'm paranoid and use the muffs as well!
Old 19 June 2017, 06:48   #7

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellhouse View Post
cheers, i've been religiously flushing after every use on the top flush, just as well i'm paranoid and use the muffs as well!

Last time I was up in North Queensland I hopped on a crocodile tour boat, that had twin Yamaha f70 ( same as my outboard). I asked the operator his thoughts on the engines, both of which were at 7200hrs. Reply was they need very little maintance and never get flushed but they are run all day every day, at 10000hrs they get demoted down to one of the companies spare boats. Water conditions up there are silty saltwater.

On the flip side my Yam mechanic has seen outboards corroded from the inside out in less than 250 hrs. He mainly services comercial industry outboards which he says are able to do the big hours simply because of the regular use unlike recreational users who often leave outboards unflused for long periods allowing the salt to build up inside.

Tags
yamaha