Old 07 August 2003, 07:33   #1

Town: gloucester
Make: ribtech
Length: 585
Engine: Yam 115
Yamaha Outboard Problem

I purchased my first rib this year and have been extemely impressed with it up to now. However yesterday i was out in the Solent and ventured out past the Needles and around the Island a few miles. The Sea was pretty choppy but not too bad and we had a pretty good day. Now to my point, upon returning to Lymington the steering suddenly went stiff, upon checking this out both main bolts holding the outboard to the steering mount had sheered off. Is this a common problem? The outdoard is a Yam f115 with only 130hrs on it and it looks like it has caused a fair bit of damage around the other mounting area that was obviously taking all the strain.

The outboard was bought and fitted to the Rib by the guy i bought it off and with so little mileage put on it will Yamaha sort it out or do i have to bite the bullet and get it sorted myself? If that is the case i could do with the name of a good Marine Outboard guy or firm to sort it out Pronto!! I'm gutted all this good weather and now i'm stuck on dry land. HELP!
Thanks
Old 08 August 2003, 06:02   #2

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
What make and type of steering have you got?
Old 08 August 2003, 12:47   #3

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
Spud

sorry to hear of your problem you could give Sal Marine a ring on 01590 679588 if they cannot fix it I am sure they know a man who can

John
Old 08 August 2003, 19:16   #4

Dirk

The bolts that have sheered off are the two main engine mounting bolts located just below the engine casing. I've got it into a local marine engineers workshop now in Glos. They say they've never seen anything like it before and having spoken to Yamaha i've found out that the warranty expired in April. Yamaha want to see the bolts in question though and are saying they may help out if it is a flaw in there components that caused it. Its only two years and 130hrs old so i reckon it must be. Fingers crossed!!!
Old 08 August 2003, 19:17   #5

Scuba Kid

Thanks for the advice John but its in a Shop already i didnt want to hang about, i want it sorted asap!! Hopefully it will be ready in 3 weeks!