Old 10 October 2007, 19:33   #1

Town: shetland isles
Boat name: n/a
Make: malakoff
Length: 10m +
Engine: yamaha me 370sti
Yamaha ME370 cush drive

We are a salmon farming outfit in the Shetland Isles and we run two craft with Yamaha ME370 with Hydradrives and while they do the job we are constantly having bother with the cush drive coupling wearing out. If anyone has had to buy one of these assemblys then you will be well aware of the jaw dropping price, my question to anyone out there is are they available anywhere else other than Yamaha and can the components be gotten seperately rather than whole unit. We have tried a few mods back and forth with varying degrees of sucess so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has succeeded in any mods of there own. Regards Craig.
Old 11 October 2007, 09:51   #2

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Craig
Please by Cush drive coupling do you mean the shock drive coupling, what Yamaha call the 2 Stage Rate Coupling ?
If so yes I've had to replace mine, we just ordered the individual rubber mounts and changed them as apposed to the fully assembled unit including the drive plates. - that was easy taking every thing apart to get to the shock drive plate and getting it off was NOT.
We found that the engine was quite a bit out of line when originally installed - this was discovered when we got Tonto Marine down with the alignment tool.
I suspect that the alignment was the major issue in the demise or our shock drive assembly but the impact that finished off the lower gear box finished it off - and the gear box.
Rgds
James
Old 11 October 2007, 10:18   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
try centa if it's external to the hydradrive

http://www.centa.info/ we got one for our cat from them
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2007, 10:29   #4

HI Stu
The 2-stage rate coupling if that is whats at fault is reasonably integral in that its bolted onto the flywheel and the flywheel housing which it sits inside off is the unit that hold the rear of the engine onto the transom sheald.
Have you still got the bits from your old unit ?
Jelly
Old 11 October 2007, 11:41   #5

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
just the fuel pump i think

hi yurself
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2007, 20:00   #6

Cheers!

Thanks for the replys folks, we tried to get the bits seperately as you did Jelly but were told by Yammy that it was'nt possible. where did you get your bits from? We've been through about five units over 6-7 years with some of them flogging out the steel on the first stage after the rubbers went and some failing in the second stage with the vulcanizing giving way usually after a wind up or contact with cage anchor chain. As you can imagine these boats get a fair old work out especially in the winter, both clocked well over 15,000 hrs so its maybe no shame on units, its just pity that parts are so damned expensive and sometimes weeks in getting here. Will have a look at Centa flex again but think we've been down that road before, even if someone does re-con units would be something. Thanks again, Craig.
Old 12 October 2007, 07:00   #7

Craig
We purchased ours as part of a bulk buy from BBMS Ltd. Bill Bailey I think is the owners name 01489 580250 they are outside of Southampton.
I rate them highly they have always been very helpful. We we also getting a new transom shield new bottom leg. But the shock drive parts were just the rubber mounts and we had them re assembled.
Ours was after a monster wind up involving a pot buoy and something that managed to bend two tips on a SS prop, as you can see it was an expensive repair. I understood the hydraulic spools were meant to open on a major wind up to avoid breaking the shock drive. Have you had the alignment checked as that will accelerate the shock drive wear dramatically.
Hope it helps
James
Old 12 October 2007, 17:46   #8

Thanks James , will give them try and see how we get on. The alignment is fine mate, we made a tool for ourselves out of an old shaft of a leg that got pulverised when one of the boys hit a submerged rock. Kid gloves is an unheard of expression up here, its all or nothing! I'm starting to think that there is'nt a unit available that can stand the abuse these ones get. We are currently trying a Mercruiser in another boat so we'll have a better idea after a while. Thanks for your help, all the best. Craig