Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 21 September 2013, 22:00   #1

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Yamaha F225 (2000 - 2004) Exhaust Corrosion

Hi, looking at one of these to buy as a used engine (2004) but have read on the internet about the problems with dry exhaust corrosion. From what I understand is that it is to do with a defective corrosion protective material application and not every outboard is effected and it has nothing to do with usage or whether or not the engine has been flushed with clean / salt free water after every outing.

Customers in the US have even sued yamaha as you can see from the link below

Yamaha Sued Over Dry Exhaust Defect In Its Model Year 2000-2005 Yamaha F225 Four Stroke Outboard Boat Motors | Got a Class Action?

I was wondering if anyone knew how big a problem this was i.e. (1 in 100?) and is it something other engine manufacturers are also suffering from?
Old 22 September 2013, 20:16   #2

Town: San Clemente
Boat name: Scotty D
Make: Cabo 35' Express
Length: 10m +
Engine: 3208 Cat Diesels
Its a very small percentage but when Yamaha is the market leader in saltwater outboards, the numbers add up. Thankfully, the OEM retro kits have come down in price so it's not as bad as one thinks. I also believe that the maintenance schedule for certain yamaha outboards have been "updated" to include an exhaust "replacement" at a defined interval.

I have owned 14 yamaha's from 150's to 250's and not seen the issue over the 7,400 hours of operation in any of my motors..... maybe I should buy a lotto ticket. who knows....

Since we are talking outboards, in particular, Yamaha outboards: very important for operators to understand the importance of using high quality fuel and Yamaha Ring-Free to keep the valvetrain free of carbon build up as that is the usual cause for premature engine failure.