Old 03 November 2005, 20:55   #1
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Yamaha F150

Does anyone have any experience of the Yamaha F150?

I've done some searching and they haven’t been mentioned on here all that much and only a few people own one according to member list.

Thanks
Old 04 November 2005, 02:30   #2

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Make: Coastline
Engine: Volvo Penta
Yamaha F150

I have used this engine many times this year and have had the chance to compare it with the 150 HPDI on the same boat during a couple of RIB tests.

I don't have a bad word to say about it, it is very smooth, with lots of mid range grunt and sounds great and the fuel consumption has always been very reasonable. When compared to the Yamaha's HPDI it is a little slower to get off the mark but not by much and as always the two stoke/4 stroke argument is always low end grunt V fuel consumption.
The only reason I notice the difference really is the fact that I have driven both side by side on timed runs.

If I had vast sums of money I would buy the HPDI, in the real world I would buy the F150.

Working for a sea school we are often asked for advice on engine choice, we always try to give honest advice and I would say for everyone in the market for a Yamaha 150, 90% have gone for the F150 over the HPDI.
I know a number of people who use this engine including some commercially, I also do some work alongside a Yamaha dealer and have never heard of any problems with the F150.

Of course the only way to really see what it is like is to use one.

As always, engine choice is personal preference but if was in the market for a 150 4 stroke the F150 would be at the top of my list.

www.mclmarine.co.uk
MCL Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2005, 05:40   #3

Town: Tofte
Make: Tornado 750
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250 Suzuki
My charterbuddy has 2 of them at his Tornado 750. More than 1000 hours so far and no problems. His boat was stolen i Oslo/Norway yesterday, so if anybody spot a Tornado with grey tubes/white hull and 2 x 150 yam, let us know.

Regards Roy
Old 04 November 2005, 22:41   #4
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Thanks both for the comments.

Roy, sorry to hear about the theft of your friends RIB.
Old 05 November 2005, 19:02   #5

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Length: 3m +
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Daniel,I have researched these when I was looking at getting the solent,apparently they are about 162 hp.
A dealer reckoned on getting under 5gph at a mixture of speeds,I was hoping to get an average of 4gph running just on planing speed.
I have been on both a 6 metre hard boat and an avon 620 with one fitted.
Seemed a reasonably quiet user friendly outboard that sounded very similar to the f100 I used to have.
The avon did over 40 knots although the dealer would not let me go to extremes on trim.
I have just remembered I tried a ballistic with one,and that was similar flat out speed but I didnt drive so once again,I didnt tinker with trim.
Old 08 November 2005, 08:43   #6

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy
My charterbuddy has 2 of them at his Tornado 750. More than 1000 hours so far and no problems. His boat was stolen i Oslo/Norway yesterday, so if anybody spot a Tornado with grey tubes/white hull and 2 x 150 yam, let us know.

Regards Roy
bad thing

p.s. what was his fuel consumption for twin F150?