Old 25 July 2012, 15:23   #1

Town: Horley
Boat name: Pending!
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: 225hp Outboard
Yamaha Engine Servicing

I have recently purchased a RIB with an 85hp Yamaha Engine and I also have a 5hp Yamaha engine. I have the manuals for both but know very little about outboards. I am a competent mechanic though and have rebuilt a very small outboard and car engines before now. No service agent will let me view a service to learn about the engines do my question is; is it that hard to learn from the manual and should I give it a go? After all I would much prefer to know my engine if it all goes wrong on the water!
Old 25 July 2012, 16:02   #2

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstars View Post
No service agent will let me view a service
I've always tried to be around when mine are being done, from my old Volvo diesels to my current outboard and never met a mechanic who wasn't happy about it, most are grateful for the company and are happy to talk to people who have an interest.
Old 25 July 2012, 19:57   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Basic 2-strokes are easy enough to work on compared to some of the modern 4-strokes that get hooked up to a laptop for diagnostic report.

Annual servicing should include impeller change, lube grease points, renew spark plugs, drain and clean fuel bulb on outboard (also worth investing in external fuel filter), change gear oil, grease splined prop-shaft and drive shaft, check all electrics and renew terminals where necessary, check idle speed, check torque of flywheel nut, check thermostat and clean housing (you'll need to renew gasket). Invest in a multimeter - they're cheap but invaluable when it comes to electrics, checking battery condition, etc. good luck.

If the 5hp is 2 stroke and manual start, ignore thermostat, but renew starter recoil rope and drain fuel if it has integral fuel tank.

In my experience - always best to run engines dry of fuel prior to storage/winterisation to avoid carb issues.
Old 25 July 2012, 20:39   #4

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post

In my experience - always best to run engines dry of fuel prior to storage/winterisation to avoid carb issues.
I used to do this but with my Honda it seems to leave a tiny bit of fuel in the bottom, it turns into a bit of a gluey blob over winter then gets sucked up and ruins the idle, this winter il either add some stabiliser or take the carb bowl off and dry it completely.
Old 25 July 2012, 20:47   #5

Thanks for the advice. I think the 85hp engine has 3 pots?? I can't check because the RIB is off being repaired.
Tried getting the 5hp 2 stroke to work but it was not pumping fuel. Have stripped the fuel pump down and it all looks good. Will put it back on tomorrow to see if it could have been dirt or an air leak. Luckily it has an external tank.
The 5hp engine looks to be from 1987. It's water cooled - I trust that's also a 50:1 mix?
The previous owner had used motorcycle 2 stroke oil - I assume this won't have damaged it?
Old 25 July 2012, 21:37   #6

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstars View Post
The previous owner had used motorcycle 2 stroke oil - I assume this won't have damaged it?
No but marine stuff has anti corrosive additives in it IIRC
Old 27 July 2012, 07:31   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: snagglepuss
Make: Shetland
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90 hp Outboard
Quote:
No service agent will let me view a service to learn about the engines do my question is; is it that hard to learn from the manual and should I give it a go? After all I would much prefer to know my engine if it all goes wrong on the water!

interesting comment as we dont mind and I am amazed that others do.

Having said that watching is never a problem, interfering is!

oh everything we do is on our servicing page so if you are doing it yourself you might want to look at:
http://www.clyde-outboard-services.c...board-services
Old 27 July 2012, 10:08   #8

Thanks, unfortunately I'm down south but the guide is useful. Cheers