Old 31 May 2013, 20:16   #41

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Kikican
Make: Vipermax 7
Length: 7m +
Engine: F250 / FT9.9 Aux
Did you not see the engine/box setup running before you bought it? Why did you need to replace the cables?

Cheers

Richard
Old 31 May 2013, 20:28   #42

Town: aberdeen
Boat name: my rib
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: petrol
Always grateful for any advice especially when its from someone that knows what they are talking about, thanks for that as i would never have known,I have got give it a go as i have spent so much on changing the outboard up to now.
Old 31 May 2013, 21:36   #43

Town: aberdeen
Boat name: my rib
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: petrol
I know now thinking about it I should have got it all together, but got the outboard from a different place,and the box did come with cables just from a much longer boat. This is what you get when you do not know what you are doing.
Old 31 May 2013, 21:47   #44

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthdog1970 View Post
I know now thinking about it I should have got it all together, but got the outboard from a different place,and the box did come with cables just from a much longer boat. This is what you get when you do not know what you are doing.
Calm down fella Its a methodical approach you need .. and you are getting some good advice here I've shut up cos I'm learning too .. just keep asking and I'm sure the boys will be happy to help .. but take it a step at at a time and follow the advice as best you can ..but you 'do' need to to take a good look at it , to try and understand how it works.

If its beyond you .. dont get stressed , sure a yard close at hand will be able to sort it out
Old 31 May 2013, 21:58   #45
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthdog1970 View Post
To be fair, it's hard enough to find a decent motor, let alone find one that's got the loom and controls with it. Needs must etc.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2013, 22:12   #46

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Okay, now that isn't what I was expecting, and there is now no point in posting the pic of mine....

I'll throw this in as a thought. the Mech side of a Yam 703 will work any (push throttle!) engine you care to connect it to. I'm using mine to control a Merc, and had it working a Suz a while ago.

The main difference is the electric connector. What I did was pull the electrics out the 703 and park them in a panel on my console. (with a jump wire for the Anti start in gear switch). A "mech only" box isn't going to be tooo expensive, as it doesn't strictly need to be Yam or any other brand if the electrics are now divorced from it.

There are plenty of People with physically broken 703s. Could you sell the one you have to fund a replacement?

Other way of looking at it - a "push- pull swap" will give you intimate knowledge of how it works so you may be at an advantage if it ever decided to throw a wobbler while at sea.

So, assuming you go for the alteration, 2.5 golden rules-
1)as I said before, make sure you have abig sheet of paper or card to lay the bits out on, write notes beside each bit (number them as well) & photograph every bit of the disassembly.
2) chances are at least one of the case screws will be seized solid. Assume your case is going to die & you won't be disappointed (The screw just above the split in the cable cover is into a particularly fragile spigot - don't ask me how I know.... )
2.5) Open carefully. The top layer is held in place by the lid!

Luck.