Old 28 August 2005, 19:07   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Yamaha 60 fuel problem

I am sure you have read the thread here about my trouble on saturday.

short version:
Went out from warsash on saturday to go over to the island. Me, my best mate, and our two daughters. All going swimmingly, kids are loving it etc. My mate decides he wants to photograph the big ships in the middle of the solent, so i slowed down and put the rib in neutral to allow him access to the dry storage. As i put her in neutral she cut out, very wierd. So I tried to restart it but it wasn't having any of it. Choke on / off , throttle, no throttle etc. Just started then died.
When I got home I tinkered with he outboard, setting the carbs to thier factory settings, cleaning and adjusting etc. I was sure it was fuel related so I also replaced the fuel in the tank. Motor still the same.
In the end I took the three carbs off and gave them a birthday, They weren't the worst I'd ever seen but not the best either. Cleaned out the float bowls, jets etc blew it all through with carb cleaner and compressed air. Refitted the whole lot and what do you know! Primed her up, and after the third turn of the key she fired up and purred like a kitten!
Decided to try out under the itchen bridge this afternoon and guess what? it's not ok. Started and warmed up fine and ran fine until I put it in neutral once I'd been on the plane for a while then it cut out and wouldn't start again, this time I deliberately didn't do it until I was 50 yards from the slip though! Paddled in and now it's in the water bin in the garden and it's back to how it was. Starts and ticks over few a few seconds then cuts out and dies.
All help greatly appreciated!
Old 29 August 2005, 15:05   #2

Ok I've been out there all day, done the carbs again, fuel pump, fuel lines and spark plugs. Now she fires up and idles for longer than the 30secs i had before but she cut out again after 10-12mins. I noticed however that the temp of the water in the bin is very hot, would this affect it? It starts, idles and revs now much better than before but does cough and die very occassionally, could this be plugs fouling, or maybe due to the temp of the cooling water?
Old 30 August 2005, 23:29   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
TBH that sounds electrical-like a contact is getting hot and breaking down.check all your contacts and ignition system-you could have the CDI box failing when hot. You may have improved it by accidentally disturbing something while doing the other work.
Hell, if I'm wrong at least you'll know your electrics are ok...

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2005, 07:55   #4

I am pretty sure that since the plugs were changed it is all ok. Gonna sea trial it asap and then get it in for a service and tune up.
Thanks