Old 12 January 2012, 21:56   #1

Make: Zodiac YL 420
Length: 3m +
Engine: 50 Yamaha 2 stroke
Yamaha 50hp Four stroke

Hi I have just bought a 4.2 rib with a 50hp Yamaha 4cyl 4 stroke, modern shape power trim tilt etc. The sad thing is some Numpty has sprayed the thing all over with a spray can and removed the plate on the transom bracket. I'm trying to find out the year. It is identical to this:
http://www.boatinland.co.uk/wp-conte...0hp-yamaha.jpg

It has the same graphics does anyone know when they started making these and changed the graphics? Is it possible to get a new engine plate/sticker made up for this?

Thanks
Old 12 January 2012, 22:05   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
On the top of the powerhead will be a small circular sticker with the serial number on it. Your local Yam dealer will be able to give you the date from that. Age based on decals is too inaccurate. This design was built from around 1999-2004

Are you not concerned by the re-spray and de-badging ? It would have had a sticker on both sides of the transom. One with age/ce info th other with serial numbers etc.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 13 January 2012, 16:59   #3

Thanks Peter, not really concerned it looks as though it came with the boat which is 2000 and the boat has the original Yam clocks etc. I have a receipt with his name and address if there was a problem.
Old 13 January 2012, 17:02   #4

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Your most likely right then with it being fitted from new and a 2000 model. Nice motors.

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 13 January 2012, 20:20   #5

I see they are over £7000 new unfortunately the auto choke doesn't work, the solenoids aren't working and the mechanism has been cable tied up... I was thinking about putting a manual choke as it would be quite easy. This afternoon I use cellulose thinners and T cut together and the spray can paint came off quite quickly, it took me two hours to do the cowl and it looks a million times better just with a few scratches. The leg could be tricky.
Do you know if it is possible to get engine plates for old engines? Very difficult I would imagine because of documentation?
Old 13 January 2012, 20:28   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just View Post
I see they are over £7000 new unfortunately the auto choke doesn't work, the solenoids aren't working and the mechanism has been cable tied up... I was thinking about putting a manual choke as it would be quite easy. This afternoon I use cellulose thinners and T cut together and the spray can paint came off quite quickly, it took me two hours to do the cowl and it looks a million times better just with a few scratches. The leg could be tricky.
Do you know if it is possible to get engine plates for old engines? Very difficult I would imagine because of documentation?
If you've got a record of the right number, try engraving it somewhere and microdotting/datatagging it.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote