Old 26 July 2009, 19:54   #1

Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
Yamaha 50GETO - power increase possible?

Hi, looking for a bit of technical advice.
I'm really pleased with this engine attached to my YAM480 - starts first time and doesn't miss a beat (unless I forget to undo the vent when I switch tanks!). Looking at the manual it looks like the 50, 60 and 70 HP engines are all the same capacity. So I was wondering whether it is possible to increase the power of mine in some way (other than buying an engine with more HP)?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Neil
Old 26 July 2009, 20:01   #2

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
Hi, looking for a bit of technical advice.
I'm really pleased with this engine attached to my YAM480 - starts first time and doesn't miss a beat (unless I forget to undo the vent when I switch tanks!). Looking at the manual it looks like the 50, 60 and 70 HP engines are all the same capacity. So I was wondering whether it is possible to increase the power of mine in some way (other than buying an engine with more HP)?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Neil
Neil,

Although i cant offer you technical advice but there will be many that can shortly. I have the same engine and wondered what sort of speeds and RPM you are getting at the moment?

Cheers.
Old 26 July 2009, 20:21   #3

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Nectar
Make: Robinson Marine
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 2/
MMSI: 235053259
Hi Neil,

I have a friend that had a 50 and had it altered to nearly 70. From what I believe it was changing the jets and fuel management. I may be wrong tho but is certainly possible, unless he was leading me up the path!!
Old 27 July 2009, 07:41   #4

Thanks
the fastest I've seen on the GPS is 29 knots although with a few people on it the max seems about 25 knots (haven't really had a completely flat day to try it flat out). I think max revs is about 5,000rpm.
Cheers
Neil
Old 27 July 2009, 09:23   #5

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
NeilH ok this is a big ???? everyone asks . I have been down this road alot with my customers and spoken to various top engineers in America about this topic . If we could change jets etc in the carbs and mess around with the fuel systems then Yamaha , Merc , Mariner , wouldnt sell engines as everyone would just do thIS SAVING THEM ALL BIG MONEY . . I have tried changing jets and even though all the carbS etc look the same on the 40 , 50 , 60 etc the fuel and air passages are all different sizes within the units . Changing high , intermediate , idle jets would obviously make engines run either to RICH or LEAN causing piston detination , preignition etc . On the Mariner models there are a few small upgrades that you can make on the 25 and 30 models but as far as I know Yami and very different . Your best bet to get more performance is to play around with engine height , trim angle , and the most important of all PROPS . I wouldnt even consider trying to change parts around personally as you could run into running problems and cause serious powerhead damage . My opinion , cheers baz
Old 27 July 2009, 17:24   #6

Thanks Baz
very helpful - I did wonder if it might be complicated (I noticed that the compression ratio is different between the engines which did make me think). Now a new prop - something else to buy..........
thanks again
Neil
Old 28 July 2009, 21:10   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilH View Post
Thanks Baz
very helpful - I did wonder if it might be complicated (I noticed that the compression ratio is different between the engines which did make me think). Now a new prop - something else to buy..........
thanks again
Neil
The Yamaha 40hp and 50hp share the same block. I considered a power upgrade some time ago, as it would mean changing the carbs and exhaust manifold from a 50hp. However, it could cause more problems than its worth and render a perfectly usable engine into a problematic one, certainly of you don't know what you're doing. I suppose the only real feasible alternative is to stump up the cash and upgrade in HP.
Old 30 July 2009, 08:13   #8

Town: London
Boat name: Yellow Peril
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100 (2T)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
The Yamaha 40hp and 50hp share the same block. I considered a power upgrade some time ago, as it would mean changing the carbs and exhaust manifold from a 50hp. However, it could cause more problems than its worth and render a perfectly usable engine into a problematic one, certainly of you don't know what you're doing. I suppose the only real feasible alternative is to stump up the cash and upgrade in HP.
The parts manual for my 8hp Yam shows that all parts in the 6hp version are identical except for the carb and the exhaust manifold. I would guess these are prohibitively expensive from Yamaha.
Old 31 July 2009, 17:33   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnob View Post
The parts manual for my 8hp Yam shows that all parts in the 6hp version are identical except for the carb and the exhaust manifold. I would guess these are prohibitively expensive from Yamaha.
Could have kicked myself - but a set of carbs for a three-cylinder 40/50hp were on Ebay a couple of years ago. Sold for under £40! Have seen them advertised anywhere from £100-£300. Have never seen an exhaust manifold for sale. No idea what Yamaha would charge.