Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 25 May 2007, 20:42   #1

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
Yamaha 4 stroke 80 first service costs

Hi, I know this has been covered a few times before & I have read through various postings but I welcome views on my first service costs to see if I should be looking elsewhere.

I had 5 litres engine oil, oil filter, water separator & fuel filter change, gearbox oil change, grease points done & the bill came to 120 GBP. This included 2.5 hrs labour at 25 GBP ph. Marine service engineer & dealer stamp in the book.

I was tempted to have a go myself & to be honest probably will next time, depends on how many hours are put on this summer. However as the bill would only reduce by 40 GBP (labour part) I am q happy to let someone else get their hands dirty.

Appreciate anyone else´s views, I thought the price a bit toppy compared to my car service but I´m quickly learning anything to do with boats is double the car equivalent.

Cheers
Old 25 May 2007, 20:48   #2

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Wish mine had been that cheap yesterday.

Sounds reasonable to me. If its going to last the year before another one then £120 isn't too bad.
As you say is it worth saving £40 to keep your hands clean and also having bits of paper to show potential buyers !
Old 29 May 2007, 04:49   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Yamaha 10 hr service in the US typically runs anywhere from $250 to $500US.

Odd thing is, there is nothing in the 10 hr service that you can't do yourself (a look in the owners manual will tell you exactly what "services" are performed.) I called the dealer to verify that I was not voiding the warranty.

I did my own 10 hr service in about 90 minutes. Total parts cost was somewhere under $75 (using Yamaha branded lucricants.) The 100 hr service was a bit more, but not substantially more. As I recall, the motor goes in at 200 hrs (but I'd verify that, rather than taking my word for it. I'm working on memory here, and after the wedding reception I attended a couple of nights ago, all bets are off on how good my memory is at the moment.)

The dealer will do a few other things, such as downloading the hrs/rpm/fault data, but if the motor is running OK, that's just for posterity's sake anyway.

jky
Old 30 May 2007, 12:57   #4

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
My 80 is due the ten hour service too and I am having a nightmare finding a dealer to do it.

My local marine engineer (not a Yamaha dealer) pulled a face when I said Yamaha, took my details and I have heard nothing since. The next nearest (who are a proper yamaha dealer about 30 miles away) quoted £92.50 for labour and refuse to do advanced bookings so they want me to leave the boat with them until they can get around to it... which at the moment is approximately 3 weeks later. So they want my boat sitting 'somewhere' on their premises for 3 weeks!

The dealer search function on Yamaha's website is currently out of order too!

So it looks like I'll also be doing it myself!

Quote:
The 100 hr service was a bit more, but not substantially more. As I recall, the motor goes in at 200 hrs
Does this mean it is ok to do 10 and 100 hr services yourself but it HAS to go to Yamaha for the 200 hr?
Old 30 May 2007, 16:20   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Alex, as I said, I'm not 100% sure, but yes, that was what I recall.

A look in the owners manual should give you the truth about my statement. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but will post when I find out.

The 100 hr service wasn't that much more involved than the 10. Replace plugs, change engine and leg oil, replace oil filter, and, in my case, swap canister fuel filter (which gave me a good reason to change the filter mounting bracket from aluminum to a SS one; a simple 15 minute job that took about 8 hours over 3 days. I hate hose connections that you can't reach.)

Okay, the F115 manual (manuals available on-line at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...d_manuals.aspx) shows that the 200 hr service includes (beyond the 100 hr) internal anode inspection, idle speed inspection, PCV valve inspection, PTT inspection, shift link/cable inspection, thermostat inspection, throttle link inspection, water pump inspection (personally, I'd go ahead and replace the impeller), filter change (actually not required at 100 hrs), timing belt inspection (supposed to be done at 100 hrs as well.)

So, aside from inspection, there isn't really anything that they have that you couldn't do yourself. I think, however, that mine will go into the shop for the 200 hr (probably later this year), for peace of mind more than anything else.

jky
Old 30 May 2007, 22:01   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm View Post
The dealer search function on Yamaha's website is currently out of order too!
www.boatlaunch.co.uk will let you find Yam dealers (use the prefs tab and "untick" all the others) - closest to Falmouth seem to be:

Robin Curnow, Penryn
Harbour Marine, plymouth
Rock marine, Wadebridge
Old 31 May 2007, 09:24   #7

it´good to hear that marine service engineers provide as poor a service in the UK as Spain! It has been posted here many times about indifferent service in the marine industry & you are paying their wages, shiny big boats, fuel, rent etc.

All I wanted was a 10 hr first service & thought all I had to do was go along to the local dealer & book it in.....oh how silly of me, I had to join the queue of course & when the dealer was ready he would do it! well I waited for a call, waited.....you got it, he didn´t want the business until....4 weeks later he called & I had gone elsewhere. At least he called!

If anyone reading this works for a dealer please could they explain why the service is so bad. Doesn´t small first RIB denote big new order soon, & anyone looking after the servicing is going to get the first refusal for a new boat.

I don´t consider myself an awkward customer, I get my car & scooter serviced at the supplying dealers simply by booking it in a few days in advance, get a bill roughly what was estimated, get the book stamped & neither car or scoot has let me down. Both these dealers get repeat orders, endorsements to friends, a welcome wave when I am passing....
Old 31 May 2007, 10:18   #8
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I don't know about in Spain but over here dealers are going to be rushed off their feet as the nice weather starts and all the summer only users can't get their engines started after laying up for the winter. Maybe now is the wrong time?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2007, 18:55   #9

my experience was in March...& I was trying to beat the summer rush. I appreciate that a lot of boaters all want work doing when the sun comes out - same in Spain as UK - so I was trying to beat the queue
Old 05 June 2007, 06:14   #10

Town: Anglesey
Boat name: Targa Bay
Make: Fairline Targa 29
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD32
Sorry, but I can't resist any longer

Cost of my 10hr service.......£0
Cost of my 100hr service.....£0
Cost of my 200hr service.....£0
Time spent in dealer for service in the first 3 years......0hrs

Even the 300hr service is only £250...

How???......I bought an ETEC!

I don't understand why people buy these overcomplicated 4-stroke monstrosities.

But still, I suppose it keeps all these "caring" dealers and their grease monkies in jobs.
Old 22 June 2007, 22:31   #11

Town: Portishead/Falmouth
Make: Ribeye
Following up to my moaning earlier in this thread here comes a bit of credit where credit is due!

After speaking to Richard at Samspeed marine, against all odds and the boss being away, he was able to turn my 10 hour service around in 3 days.

So thank you to Richard/Samspeed!
Old 23 June 2007, 07:25   #12

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Odd thing is, there is nothing in the 10 hr service that you can't do yourself (a look in the owners manual will tell you exactly what "services" are performed.) I called the dealer to verify that I was not voiding the warranty.
Only thing I would say before DIYing (I know you found a dealer to do yours in the end Alex) is to check that it doesn't invalidate your UK warranty - warranty requirements for the UK / EU could well be different to the US.

IIRC, car manufacturers used to insist that cars were serviced at their main dealers to maintain the warranty - it was only when the EU stepped in that the rules were relaxed and you could get your car serviced at any garage that used 'genuine' spare parts.
Old 24 June 2007, 21:44   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm View Post

So thank you to Richard/Samspeed!

Richard's the hairy bloke isn't he? Excellent mechanic and a nice bloke too.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2007, 17:34   #14

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
100 hour service 250 F/Stroke Yamaha £300
Both BHG at Lymington and Lansdown marine at Chichester gave brilliant service
there was a two week wait but service done same day even a print out etc.
Old 25 June 2007, 18:03   #15

Town: Bristol
Make: Humber Destroyer
Engine: Yamaha 70
MMSI: 235057234
Do it all myself, no need to worry about dealers rates or time schedules and i really enjoy it too, diagnostics is the hardest part if there is any problems, obviously some engines are far more complicated than others and some are best left to a professional.