Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 20 July 2021, 13:43   #21

Length: 3m +
Carb back on and its running fine. More blue smoke than I'd expect and when it cools down I'll check the plugs again.

It doesn't smell of fuel when running so I'm not convinced it's over fuelling.
Old 20 July 2021, 17:22   #22

Length: 3m +
Removed 5L of mix from the tank and diluted the remainder down with 5L of fresh fuel.

By my estimate the tank is now about 80:1.

I'd already topped up the 25L tank on Sunday morning with about 7L to dilute the mix as at that time I suspected that I'd added too much oil. On the Sunday, running around Chichester, the engine didn't want to idle but would run with a bit of throttle. It felt a bit better than it had late Saturday afternoon. However, Chichester is 8 knots and Beaulieu 4, meaning it was difficult to apply any throttle on the Saturday.

Anyway, with the engine running smoothly after cleaning the carb and setting the idle mix, it was still putting out more blue smoke than I thought normal. With the weaker mix that smoke has cut back dramatically. It's there but it's no longer like being in a room with Vera Duckworth.

I'm still searching Google but I've a niggling memory that Yamaha's from the mid 80s were 100:1. Definitely the 4 and 5 ho ones but I think the 9.9/15 also and possibly even as big as the 20s?

What I'm hoping is that my 15 is just sensitive to excess oil and that it should be run on 100:1 with a litrle extra slug in respect to its age.

Tags
yamaha