Old 06 July 2018, 20:41   #1

Town: West Yorkshire
Length: no boat
yamaha 15hp 2 stroke

I have found a used inflatable and engine. Its a 3.1 zodiac zoom and a Yamaha 15 FMH 2 stroke engine.
The engine is a 2000. I dont know squat about boats but i used to be a motorbike mechanic. Inside the engine cover it looks new.
The boat has one small patch and he says its stayed up for 1 month so far.It got a 3 part wooden floor. Boat doesnt look anything good

Research says, the inflatable isnt the best.
He wants £1150 this includes electric pump, wheels and petrol tank

Is this a good buy?

I can get, say a new 3.3 excel with a new Suzuki 6hp for £1850. All new with warranty.
These 2 strokes are fetching good money
Also. How do I test the engine. I thought you could connect a hosepipe for cooling but the guy says it has to suck water up. Do i take a large bin lol
Old 06 July 2018, 22:52   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredge3 View Post
I have found a used inflatable and engine. Its a 3.1 zodiac zoom and a Yamaha 15 FMH 2 stroke engine.
The engine is a 2000. I dont know squat about boats but i used to be a motorbike mechanic. Inside the engine cover it looks new.
The boat has one small patch and he says its stayed up for 1 month so far.It got a 3 part wooden floor. Boat doesnt look anything good

Research says, the inflatable isnt the best.
He wants £1150 this includes electric pump, wheels and petrol tank

Is this a good buy?

I can get, say a new 3.3 excel with a new Suzuki 6hp for £1850. All new with warranty.
These 2 strokes are fetching good money
Also. How do I test the engine. I thought you could connect a hosepipe for cooling but the guy says it has to suck water up. Do i take a large bin lol
Google Flush Muffs.

You'll have a lot more fun with 15hp than 6

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 July 2018, 22:55   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep and further I'd be wary of any seller who couldn't be bothered to make it easy for you to test the engine.

Those Yamahas are nice engines and on a good day would make the whole sum you're being asked for the outfit.
Old 06 July 2018, 22:59   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
If the 15hp yam is as clean as you say most of your money is in the engine.
They are expensive for a reason, they are no longer available to buy new and people want them for their light weight and simplicity.
That 15hp Yamaha will probably outlive many of the newer 4 strokes being sold now if its looked after.
Buy the boat and use it you can always upgrade the boat later on if it isnt what you want.
You wont find a better engine for a sib
Old 07 July 2018, 16:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Yep and further I'd be wary of any seller who couldn't be bothered to make it easy for you to test the engine.

Those Yamahas are nice engines and on a good day would make the whole sum you're being asked for the outfit.

Thats whats worrying me. He said he had boast on and off all his life. I asked his if it was category c boat. He didnt understand.
Also he would be set up to test an engine.

The engine looks new inside. It could be stolen. The guy didnt sound well educated, Not that i am
Old 07 July 2018, 17:29   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I’m sure there are many seasoned boat people who wouldn’t know what the recreational craft directive is never mind whether their little rubber boat is cat C or D. It’s quite a leap to get from there to the boat being stolen.

If he’s not been flushing it - that would be at least a slight concern (although depending how much he’s used it and stored it, it could well be as clean inside as it sounds outside). That said I think most outboards are cleaner than motorbikes under the hood, they don’t get road crap thrown at them and probably are used less.

I’d ask who’s serviced it, and hope to see some paperwork supporting that. If he says he’s done it get him to talk you through what the service involved (key thing probably being does he change the impeller, and fit fresh washers on the gearbox fill/drain screws). If he tells you he just uses car gearbox oil or buys impellers cheap from China then the correct response is, “thanks Lee, but I’ll give it a miss ;-)”
Old 07 July 2018, 21:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I’m sure there are many seasoned boat people who wouldn’t know what the recreational craft directive is never mind whether their little rubber boat is cat C or D. It’s quite a leap to get from there to the boat being stolen.

If he’s not been flushing it - that would be at least a slight concern (although depending how much he’s used it and stored it, it could well be as clean inside as it sounds outside). That said I think most outboards are cleaner than motorbikes under the hood, they don’t get road crap thrown at them and probably are used less.

I’d ask who’s serviced it, and hope to see some paperwork supporting that. If he says he’s done it get him to talk you through what the service involved (key thing probably being does he change the impeller, and fit fresh washers on the gearbox fill/drain screws). If he tells you he just uses car gearbox oil or buys impellers cheap from China then the correct response is, “thanks Lee, but I’ll give it a miss ;-)”

I went to see it. Took a bin so i could see it running. Also too a compression tester. He didnt expect that

Pulled it out of garage. He bought it from new. Had manual with loads of new spares. Plugged in external fuel tank. primed it and it started 2nd pull. Sounded sweet.Showed me it it gears etc. Then the water spray yet thing stopped working. He then foung end of tube was blocked. All ok again.

Then I had a rev of it. It held revs and sounded sweet. If i revved it and let go, it knocked twice followed by a knackered bearing sound. Only faint. He said he couldnt hear it.Sounded like the top of the shaft. I placed my hand on it but couldnt feal anything

I walked away.As I have no knowledge of outboards but a good knowledge of 2 stroke bikes
Old 07 July 2018, 22:21   #8

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Length: 4m +
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
If it is knocking walk away [emoji28]
Go and get the excel with 6hp you can always up grade your engine next year after you get use to it [emoji6]
Old 08 July 2018, 10:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Haggis View Post
If it is knocking walk away [emoji28]
Go and get the excel with 6hp you can always up grade your engine next year after you get use to it [emoji6]

Looks newhttps://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...tor/1305168571
Old 08 July 2018, 11:49   #10

Yep does look tidy.

I've had 2-stroke outboards with odd noises that were their "character" not faults. They all sound a little different. However if you are unsure always walk away.
Old 08 July 2018, 14:44   #11

Quote:
Yep does look tidy.

I've had 2-stroke outboards with odd noises that were their "character" not faults. They all sound a little different. However if you are unsure always walk away.

It could last years with no problems. It was out of gear and sat in a bin of water. Not the best way to test it.
It was a odd sound. Only when you released the throttle.2 small bangs. I was wondering if was vibrating against the bucket. It followed with a bearing noise. This was very quiet but noticeable.

Hold the throttle at any revs and it was sweet

I was looking last night and there is nothing in that price range, no where.
A bit gutted in a way
Old 08 July 2018, 21:58   #12

Town: London
Make: Aerotec 3.8
Engine: Mercury T/S 15hp
Are you trying to convince yourself back again? Gut feelings usually correct, better to hold on until something comes up that’s known about.

The price range you were shopping at really gets you just the (good)ts 15 hp so unless you step down in outboard size maybe hang on a bit, save a bit more and see what comes along
Old 09 July 2018, 10:53   #13

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i had one a few years ago we use it at work now most days good little boat had a johnson 15 on it went like the wind
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140107_124144.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	125704  
Old 09 July 2018, 11:08   #14

You don't see too many of those Johnsons about now Jeff... I'd forgotten what a neat powerhead/hood they have. Although I am a 4-stroke convert of 2+ years they are a bit bloaty.
Old 09 July 2018, 11:12   #15

>>>Are you trying to convince yourself back again? Gut feelings usually correct, better to hold on until something comes up that’s known about.

Yes as I said above hold off if you are unsure.

However on the other side of the argument those Yamaha's are superbly built and should be fine at that age. As an example of non-critical rattles my outboard lock makes a rattle as you move through a certain rev range such that you'd think the engine is about to self destruct. I have to wind a bungee cord round it and tie off somewhere adj.
Old 09 July 2018, 11:20   #16

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
You don't see too many of those Johnsons about now Jeff... I'd forgotten what a neat powerhead/hood they have. Although I am a 4-stroke convert of 2+ years they are a bit bloaty.
it's a nice engine david it's the commercial spec one too

Tags
yamaha